Just curious, 17 yo male, tried out for a drum corps for the 2016 season however never able to finish audition because I tore my right ACL skiing. After a long surgery I am still in the middle of recovery, I will be trying out for The Colts for their 2017 season, by audition time I will be 8 months post Op. And by the start of next season I will be 1 year. Just curious if anyone has ever tore/retore ACL while marching and what the likelihood of that would be ? Also if you've marched after you tore your ACL did you have any issues with the knee ?

-Thanks ! Aspiring Tuba/Trumpet player

P.S. I play trumpet for drum corps

Just curious, 17 yo male, tried out for a drum corps for the 2016 season however never able to finish audition because I tore my right ACL skiing. After a long surgery I am still in the middle of recovery, I will be trying out for The Colts for their 2017 season, by audition time I will be 8 months post Op. And by the start of next season I will be 1 year. Just curious if anyone has ever tore/retore ACL while marching and what the likelihood of that would be ? Also if you've marched after you tore your ACL did you have any issues with the knee ?

Oddly enough, a torn ACL today isn't what it used to be - thankfully. You'll be good to go. Go get 'em!

Torn ACL and you want to play for the Colts? Eh, you'll be fine, Andrew Luck played through worse last season

• Like 4

The best advice would be to talk to your surgeon. I would think that as long as you commit to the conditioning it takes to prepare for the summer you'll most likely be fine. In any regard, good luck and I hope it pans out for you. Drum corps is an experience you'll value for the rest of your life!

Best of luck on your recovery and rehab. Most athletes are out for close to a year with torn ACL, although a few have been known to play after 6-7 months. Obviously your doctor will be the one that will have the most to say in that. I know the Colts, as well as dozens of other corps, are great in helping people with injuries, and other issues, to find a spot in their corps. SCV even redesigned a spot for Mr Moto who had an injury and couldn't march drill. Best of luck in your rehab, and we all hope to see you on the field next year. And be sure to be up front with the corps about what you have gone through, as they may have spots in the drill that require less turns or sudden movements, and may be able to utilize you there without higher risk to more injuries.

• Like 1

dont skimp on your rehab. do everything the Dr tells you. Knee braces have helped others with similar problems.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

take care of yourself. There's a Colt currently marching while recovering from a torn ACL prior to the season. He's doing very well and taking the extra efforts to take care of himself as needed.

It may not be easy during the season, but it has been done before.

First off....I feel for you, man. ACL tears are no picnic. Hope you recover quickly!

That said....I'd emphasize two things: core strength and diet.

Lower body injuries are often linked to an unstable core. If you read up on Steph Curry's nagging lower-body injuries, he got them because he relied more on his knees/ankles to change his momentum rather than his core and base muscles (glutes, abs, obliques). And what did his trainer suggest? Strengthening his core: deadlifts, leglifts, squats. There's nothing better for injury-resistance than good balance from a solid base. Though, if someone tackles you low and bends your knee the wrong way....good luck preventing that.

80+% of being healthy involves nutrition. I hit the gym at least 5/wk, but if I eat out every day, drink lots of pop, and neglect the good stuff (high-quality proteins, fibrous foods like fruits/vegetables/nuts, and fluoride-free water), it's all for nothing. It'd be better to eat healthy and not exercise. You would feel better in the 'long run'. But don't settle....get your heart rate up AND fuel your tank with what it needs.

As it applies to your health, only follow the advice of your personal doctor and nobody else. Do not, at all, in no circumstance, follow the advice from anybody posting online about their own experience or providing their own opinion even if they claim to be a doctor, that includes this site.