Why doesn't DCI do this, or do they?

Something I have been thinking about and am curious if DCI does this, not to my knowledge do they, and of they do not, why?

What's the biggest issue with most corps? MONEY. Your largest budget items goes to 1. food and 2. fuel.

There are, let's for easy math, say 20 touring corps, each with at least 3 buses, an equipment trailer and food trailer, add in souvie truck and possibly staff vehicle and a 4th bus. Wonder how much it costs to fill a corps fleet??

It costs around $1700 per day to feed a full corps and staff. Wonder what a trip to CostCo or a Food Distributor costs?

To help corps out, why does not DCI get in touch with PILOT or Flying J and negotiate a fuel cost, or a CostCo (or a food distributor and negotiate food costs. In return, for a discount, corps would use these companies throughout the summer. Even if Flying J agreed to a 20% discount (any discount would help) on fuel costs, look at how much they would make by have each corps with 6 vehicles x 20 corps fueling at their location all summer, same with food costs...add in an additional incentive with them being non-profit organizations and I am sure there would be some tax advantages for these companies.

Same thing with sports wear, GatorAide, etc. their logos could be added to the food truck and get free nation wide advertising all summer...but I digress, address the 2 largest expenses first.

Seems to me DCI is dropping the ball and has an opportunity to actually help these corps save some money...seems common sense to me, so, I am wondering why they do not do this, or have they tried and failed?

Just my $0.02.

JKT90

Edited by JKT90

Keep in mind that with travel most corps pay a flat fee to a busing company (Bluecoats use Muskingum Coach here in Ohio). At one time I know that fee (for 4 buses over summer tour and the back-end of spring training) was around $170,000. I have no idea where it is now.

That fee however covers insurance, the use of the coaches, drivers, gas, and lodging for the drivers. I believe some of these coach companies already have deals worked out with fuel companies, and their drivers may carry specific gas cards that can only be used at certain places. So in some cases the fuel thing may be out of the hands of DCI or its member corps.

But for some corps I imagine this would be a good idea, and the same for food.

Just jumping in on ideas, if DCI coordinated all travel, they'd get a much bigger discount than if the corps do it individually. I'd like to see all corps start and end in Indy, and do one giant tour together. Weekdays, divide all world class into three groups and take them to different shows around the country. So, three to four weekday shows per week, each with a handful of corps, all in different states within the same region. On weekends, bring the corps back together for the big regional shows, or possibly two regional shows on the same day during just the first half of the season. Then split them back up again into the weekday groups, but different groups than the previous week so corps aren't always competing against the same corps.

Under this system, you have one body coordinating all travel through only a handful of vendors, giving you negotiating power. You also keep the season much more competitive and trackable for comparing scores and watching close races, and have the opportunity of taking all corps to all shows/regions, giving every fan the opportunity to see every corps over the course of a few years. With Indy being somewhat central geographically, you can also have the tour go East then West one year, then West then East the second, so the West Coast doesn't get stuck with only shows that score less than 80 every year.

Why not have a central food truck for tours?

That would have to be one BIG truck. Plus the corps stay at different locations as to not make that feasible.

Keep in mind that with travel most corps pay a flat fee to a busing company (Bluecoats use Muskingum Coach here in Ohio). At one time I know that fee (for 4 buses over summer tour and the back-end of spring training) was around $170,000. I have no idea where it is now.

That fee however covers insurance, the use of the coaches, drivers, gas, and lodging for the drivers. I believe some of these coach companies already have deals worked out with fuel companies, and their drivers may carry specific gas cards that can only be used at certain places. So in some cases the fuel thing may be out of the hands of DCI or its member corps.

But for some corps I imagine this would be a good idea, and the same for food.

Regarding fuel costs, I believe corps negotiate fuel costs in the leasing of the busses with the bus companies, for those who lease busses for tour. The bus companies are responsible for the buying their fuel. For corps who own or lease other vehicles, like their souvie truck, equipment truck, etc., the corps buy their own fuel as indicated by fuel fundraisers like Boston does. The corps may have a discount card in place and use it accordingly. I have no doubt corps also buy what they need when they are on the road from Costco, BJ's, Sams Club, and so on to buy in bulk and save money. Creative Tour Managers of their food truck people may even search for local institutional food suppliers to get good deals on food as they travel. Some corps may already have a network in place for locating fuel and food on the road. Another savings is doing what Boston does, have fan's, alumni & friend, sponsor meals and snacks. Look on the Facebook site where the recognize and thank meal sponsors. Every little bit helps.