Huntsville Harmonometer

I think the overall changes have been positive, but my Debby Downer worries how they fare when everyone meets up....

Feline AIDS is the number one killer of domestic cats....

I just found out.. I can't have children.

• Like 1

I predict huge fluctuations in score between tomorrow and Dekalb. TOC shows have the weirdest scores that don't seem to align with everything else. Not sure why, let's see if that pattern holds this year.

Detailed review of world class:

Great night of performances by all these wonderful groups, was definitely worth attending!

Jersey surf - again, very good change in show design. The drill was very elegant, but was sometimes executed under the level of excellence. Very nice uniforms for both guard and corp, looking very sharp. Very happy for the direction of this group musically, farther than last year in many cases, very good for them. Guard was definitely the weakest link tonight for the corp, so many soloist drops, was kinda dissapointed. Hopefully are better next performance

Spirit of Atlanta - this corp has the potential to be a finalist again in a few years. This show was fun and playful throughout. The excitement/energy definitely got higher as the show went on, ended on a really good chord that the crowd loved. Guard was night and day better than last year, and seemed to have a more challenging book. Brass was very good too, some very nice playing going on there. Percussion was good, honestly didn't pay that much attention to them. It seemed that they weren't as prominent in the show as a whole, but had a nice sound.

Crossmen - this show is pretty weird, but so beautiful in its own way. Guard was definitely the strongest part of the corp tonight, such great color schemes in the uniforms and silks. Brass had a good run, I've heard them play better on DCI live, but it wasn't a terrible run. Percussion was good too, but still have heard them play better as well. The ending of the show was great until a trumpet player flubbed a note, that kinda killed the hype a little, but still a good show

BAC - first time seeing the show and it was weird, but in a good way. The show seems all innocent and a little western until the closer when the guy loses his marbles? I think that's the story? The percussion was OK here, not too good or bad, they were fine. Brass was great, personally think I liked the brass book more last year, but it was very good nonetheless. Guard was a great asset for them mostly, a couple of weapon drops, but when they grab flags they are majestic.

The cadets - personal favorite corp but tried very hard to be unbiased. The trumpet soloist in the show had a couple of issues, but also had moments of greatness. The violinist sounded stunning, much better than at the rehearsal last night. This brass section is a monster, just absolutely gorgeous, I sat in my seat with my jaw open for most of the show. And I do have a soft spot for French horn since it's what I play. Visually, they are a work in progress. Several changes were added yesterday and it was very impressive to see how good they've already gotten since last night, but still have a loooong way to go. Guard was spot on too, so much better than last year. Some flag bunching up on the pole issues, but the weapons were elegant. Oh, and the drumline just might win come finals, they were great too.

Bluecoats - love this show wayyy more than last year. Visually, it is amazing. The drill, guard, body movements, all stunning. Wouldn't be surprised if they have highest overall visual effect at finals. Musically, not so much. The mics in the clapping intro had some issues, but seemed to get fixed. Synth was just too loud. They have a great brass that can challenge the top (crown, BD, cadets, etc.) so why cover that with synth? The part of the 2nd movement where they "reverse" was kinda disappointing when they have the electronics play what sounds like a recording of the corp playing, that shouldn't go towards the music score if it's just a recording. Ballad was my favorite part because it was practically all brass and little synth. And man can that trumpet soloist play! Best soloist of the night hands down. Overall a great show, just a little on the excess of electronic

• Like 3

Bluecoats - love this show wayyy more than last year. Visually, it is amazing. The drill, guard, body movements, all stunning. Wouldn't be surprised if they have highest overall visual effect at finals. Musically, not so much. The mics in the clapping intro had some issues, but seemed to get fixed. Synth was just too loud. They have a great brass that can challenge the top (crown, BD, cadets, etc.) so why cover that with synth? The part of the 2nd movement where they "reverse" was kinda disappointing when they have the electronics play what sounds like a recording of the corp playing, that shouldn't go towards the music score if it's just a recording. Ballad was my favorite part because it was practically all brass and little synth. And man can that trumpet soloist play! Best soloist of the night hands down. Overall a great show, just a little on the excess of electronic

Excellent review and thanks for the updates last night. As for your comments on Bluecoats, I will not counter anything you say above since I was not at the show. However, I have seen them several times live and I had no problem with their balancing of the electronic stuff vs. the acoustic percussion and brass. Typically I think Bloo is the best at balancing those things out, so your comments in regard to that are confusing. As for there being a recording of the corps played from up front, I'm not sure that is the case, but you may be right if they recently just added something. I heard nothing like that when I have seen them live or online.

I agree with your comments on Cadets, especially about their brass and percussion, which are magnificent once again and each could win their captions at Finals, but I do feel they'd have to clean that drill for that to happen. Sloppy feet usually kill music captions, too. I will also add, however, that Bluecoats can also compete in brass and percussion, as can Crown and BD. Bloo has phenomenal performers and have some of the best soloists of the summer (as you eluded to). It's going to be exciting down the stretch, and I am really looking for to the battle of the 6 - 9 and 10 - 17 and on. The battle to get into Finals this year should be sweet.

Excellent review and thanks for the updates last night. As for your comments on Bluecoats, I will not counter anything you say above since I was not at the show. However, I have seen them several times live and I had no problem with their balancing of the electronic stuff vs. the acoustic percussion and brass. Typically I think Bloo is the best at balancing those things out, so your comments in regard to that are confusing. As for there being a recording of the corps played from up front, I'm not sure that is the case, but you may be right if they recently just added something. I heard nothing like that when I have seen them live or online.

I agree with your comments on Cadets, especially about their brass and percussion, which are magnificent once again and each could win their captions at Finals, but I do feel they'd have to clean that drill for that to happen. Sloppy feet usually kill music captions, too. I will also add, however, that Bluecoats can also compete in brass and percussion, as can Crown and BD. Bloo has phenomenal performers and have some of the best soloists of the summer (as you eluded to). It's going to be exciting down the stretch, and I am really looking for to the battle of the 6 - 9 and 10 - 17 and on. The battle to get into Finals this year should be sweet.

I have a short clip of the reverse section with the recording I was talking about, will upload on YouTube soon

You all are talking about 5 seconds of show. Nit-picking at its finest. I rather enjoy the effect, anyway.

• Like 1

You all are talking about 5 seconds of show. Nit-picking at its finest. I rather enjoy the effect, anyway.

And I am pretty sure it isn't judged on the brass sheets, so why the fuss?

• Like 1

It's no worse than slapping the goo on a big hit or any other synth effect, they've done that effect in a different way three years now. Pitch bend was the hornline recorded and manipulated, the effect right before the ballad at that last hit last year where the horns hit the note, it echoed around with the synth, and then back to the horns was the same.

It's a lot better than a sample, because they actually made it. If it was 30 seconds of the show it'd irk me, but it's less than 10 and really cool how they use it. The brass is not getting credit for that, only thing that impacts is the GE.

• Like 1