Drenched in DeKalb

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell the Blue Devils are doing on the field. None of it makes sense to me, and I really don't enjoy it, which leads me to believe that the GE category is the biggest load of self serving crap in the history of adjudicated competition. No disrespect meant to the kids or the corps, but this show is not appealing to me personally. What is the definition of General Effect and how is it judged? I just don't get it.

They look and see if you like it, and do the opposite. Simple.

• Like 7

Way to go BD! Its nice to see someone new contending for the title too!

• Like 1

Way to go BD! Its nice to see someone new contending for the title too!

You're such a homer. smh.

This I believe #Facepalm

On a serious note, have you seen it live?

Honestly, I have no idea what the hell the Blue Devils are doing on the field. None of it makes sense to me, and I really don't enjoy it, which leads me to believe that the GE category is the biggest load of self serving crap in the history of adjudicated competition. No disrespect meant to the kids or the corps, but this show is not appealing to me personally. What is the definition of General Effect and how is it judged? I just don't get it.

The man who wrote the DCI General Effect caption (which is fundamentally the same as when he single handedly wrote it in 1972 when he was not yet 33 years old ) instructed the judges when utilizing his construct not to determine if the audience liked the show or not. He said in a taped interview that it would be impossible for the General Effect judge to ascertain what " effect " the show had on audience members. So he instructed the General Effect judges that would utilize his new General Effect caption to base the " general effect " on how a Corps show effected THEM, and them alone.. This interpretation of audience avoidance was a novel concept at the time, as prior to DCI, many local circuits around the Country and into Canada had written into the General Effect captions an audience consideration. BD does well in the current General Effect captions because the GE judges like what they are doing, and consider it better in their opinion that what the others are producing. So thats a quick, brief synopsis as to who General Efffec caption is meant to appeal to as its fundamental requirement, and why BD does well at present in this caption. Incidentally, the person who single handedly wrote the DCI General Effect caption, later split into GE Music, GE Visual ( then ratified and approved by Corps, judges alike ) lives in California in retirement now ( a many year, public school, junior high math teacher), but still judges at DCI Championships, although now he is into his 70's.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

What sucks is, of all the corps, Vanguard could have easily been fighting in the top group this year if they had a more innovative visual presentation. They are the one show that will probably peak early, which bums me out.

it's mid-july

scv hasn't given up. why are you?