Mellophone - Horn Transition

Some hornlines ask you to switch mouthpieces for the summer. Some do not. Most want to improve you as a performer, some are only worried about the good of their own line. Send the brass caption heads emails and ask questions. Our download their brass packets. Those will tell you their approach. I know that it is a disservice to the corps to send you back to school not ready to be better than when you arrived.

I know it doesn't count, but my Tuba playing skills went from well above average to phenomenal because I marched. The key for me was learning to control my upper dynamics and drum corps really helped with that.

Now for mello you will basically be playing a trumpet style mouthpiece which can change a lot. But maybe bringing your French horn mouthpiece on tour to buzz will help prevent losing your embochoure.

I will not corps bash, but some corps focus on a sound that works for drum corps but does not in the orchestral hall. Be careful where you march. Phenomenal teaching occurs at many places; e.g. Crown, Blue Devils, etc. and I think marching at these places can make you better than you can make yourself by not marching.

The only thing keeping me from cadets is I'm told it's a tradition for guys to buzz your hair? I have curly, mid-chest hair that I love and I'm NOT about to cut it all off just for some tradition lol.

Drum corps does not ruin your embouchure, but it may ruin your hair.

Saw this on the Blue Stars website under "Audition FAQs."

"Will marching with a drum corps negatively affect my embouchure or "concert approach"?

"With more than 20 certified music educators on our faculty, we take great care to use the correct embouchure and performance techniques. You will find from both brass and percussion standpoints, we teach no different than a symphonic approach to the instruments. The only exception would be the actual marching percussion as there are some differences to the sticking on a marching instrument vs. concert percussion. There are quite a few of our members that are successful music education and music performance music majors."

I'm 19 and while you think I should know how to work reddit, I don't. It's so confusing to me haha. I'll look into it though. The only thing keeping me from cadets is I'm told it's a tradition for guys to buzz your hair? I have curly, mid-chest hair that I love and I'm NOT about to cut it all off just for some tradition lol.

Manbun under the shako? Edited by Fish