"Glide-Pathing" or, IOW, "Position Slotting"

Also... what would happen if the Blue Devils went to Costa Rica from June 15th to August 6th. They did community outreach during the day, practiced intensely their field show every evening. Then got on a plane August 7th, flew to Indy, and went to Quarters, and competed in their season's 1st show. What score would they get ? If BD is like most years, we'd have to believe they'd score somewhere at least in the mid 90's or so... even if they never competed against anyone till these Quarters. The mid 90's would be a pretty good score for the 1st show of the season by a Corps, no ?

This is an incomplete analysis, but gets the ball rolling.

In 2005, Blue Devils traveled to Europe. Their only competition before the trip was June 18.

June 18

Blue Devils - 76.150

Santa Clara Vanguard - 71.050

Their first show back was on July 15. To get a close comparison to their nearest June 18 competitor, I had to look at Santa Clara Vanguard's show on July 16.

Blue Devils - 88.65 (+12.500)

Santa Clara Vanguard - 81.2 (+10.15)

At finals...

Blue Devils - 95.250 (+19.1 from original; 6.6 from second)

Santa Clara Vanguard - 86.575 (+15.525 from original; 5.375 from second)

• Like 1

GUARDLING, on 27 Jul 2016 - 2:09 PM, said

...We put way to much weight on the actual number versus the actual spreads...

At least part of the point in garfield's post is that since the NUMBERS for each placement seem to move at the same rate year by year, the SPREAD between any given placements also moves accordingly.

If Nth place grows by rate x and (N+1)th place grows by rate y, the spread between Nth and (N+1)th will vary by some ratio of x and y.

The only "variable" in this scenario is the identity of the corps in Nth and (N+1)th places.

• Like 1

At least part of the point in garfield's post is that since the NUMBERS for each placement seem to move at the same rate year by year, the SPREAD between any given placements also moves accordingly.

If Nth place grows by rate x and (N+1)th place grows by rate y, the spread between Nth and (N+1)th will vary by some ratio of x and y.

The only "variable" in this scenario is the identity of the corps in Nth and (N+1)th places.

See, this is why Mike Boo said during my 990's exercise:

"Come to DCP for the crazy conspiracy theories, stay for the intelligent discussion."

Thank you HeWho for making a tangent point equally as revealing as the original.

Edited by garfield

I did some legwork on regional to regional growth in 2015. As you can see in the chart below, there was a range of growth among last year's Top 12 between San Antonio and Atlanta of between 3.150 and 5.300. Most notably, The Cadets dropped from #1 to #3 and Carolina Crown jumped from #3 to #1, matched by the least and most increase from show to show. The other change in placement in the Top 12 was Blue Stars passing Crossmen. The Cavaliers did not compete in Atlanta last year due to illness.

regional_to_regional_chart.png

One of the things that popped out at me is how much more growth there was between San Antonio and Atlanta than between Atlanta and Allentown. Taking into consideration all corps that competed in all three shows (not just the top 12), the average growth from SA to ATL was 4.2 while from ATL to ALL was 2.2 This ticked back up from ALL to INDY (Top 12 only) to 3.0.

Growth_from_regional_to_regional.png

The thing that gets me ... other than understandable ups AND downs, due to different judges evaluating the show, why would Music Analysis or Brass Content scores continually rise throughout the season (or portions of a season), even when there have been no changes to the music book?

• Like 2

Me too - Eleran. The thing is, those of us from prior generation, think of content as pretty much Demand/Difficulty only. I've been told that nowadays, content "has to be clear" to be read and given credit.

• Like 1

Me too - Eleran. The thing is, those of us from prior generation, think of content as pretty much Demand/Difficulty only. I've been told that nowadays, content "has to be clear" to be read and given credit.

That's basically how it is

Does virtually every corps actually get better with every show?

Pretty much, especially with the top corps. You could prolly count on one hand then times a corps score went backwards from one night to another. It doesn't happen often.

Does virtually every corps actually get better with every show?

Pretty much, especially with the top corps. You could prolly count on one hand then times a corps score went backwards from one night to another. It doesn't happen often.

But he wasn't asking about the corps' scores getting better, he was asking whether corps' performances get better in every show - which if so would justify an increase in scores every show throughout the season, which as you pointed out is what happens.

Edited by Eleran