Sizzlin' in HOTlanta (DCI Southeast, Atlanta - July 30th)

In order of my enjoyment:

1. Bloo looked and sounded really convincing. I love how (much like in 2014) their uber-modern visual program lets them get away with a pretty awesome old-school music book. It seems like their year.

2. Crown is awesome, and I love their pretty much every aspect of their performance - brass, guard, movement, drill. But it just doesn't quite add up to the effect that they probably need to hang with Bluecoats. I think they and BD are quite comparable this year, it seems possible to me that Crown climbs to 2nd.

3. SCV is the best visual design of the year IMO. The look on the field is beautiful and nobody touches them for drill. They're still not quite where they need to be musically, but much improved - I am really looking for this design team to produce a medalist soon.

Otherwise,

BK seemed a lot more coherent than in San Antonio. 2 more weeks like this, and they could be scaring some people come finals

Cadets - I can sort of read the story now, and I quite enjoyed the performance through the ballad. It doesn't seem like they quite knew what to do with the Mackey closer in terms of supporting their theme - cool music, but doesn't really coordinate well with the statues all choosing to be human.

We're now officially in the season of MY NEW CLOSER CAN BEAT YOUR NEW CLOSER.

I'm only slightly kidding but this is where I genuinely think staff with championship experience can guide a great drum corps needing those few tenths to being THE BEST.

Blue Devil's last minute additions to INK last to wrest the title from Crown is about the best I've ever seen. And BD staff saw this coming from practically the beginning of the season and that's why they're the best.

Unreal.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

First of all, people seemed pleased when selections from "Man of La Mancha" were announced, and there were high hopes for the show. Also, popular musicals are often popular with the crowd. The struggle for BAC this year seems to be GE.

Like every Corps in DCI, you either live or die with the adult created show design thats put together in the offseason. Boston is getting a " miss " on this with the judges this season, and so thats that. it happens sometimes. Cadets were taken out of any medal contention this summer back in the offseason in their DCI perennial pecking order too . No amount of performer brass, percussion talent was going to save the Cadets this season either. They were out of the medal round on May 30th, before they put on their darkies for the 1st show. Again, these things happen sometimes. Never quite know what DCI judges arte going to give a thumbs up to, or a thumbs down too, but its never the performers fault anymore on any of this, imo..

• Like 1

He lives in Australia

Well... I was close ( haha!)

I wonder if he thinks the SCV score in his opinion might've been scored a bit down under tonite or not.

Edited by BRASSO

Not typical for Crown. They usually present very close to the final product in Atlanta and then tweak to the end. It will be interesting to see if they do something big or opt for small and clean

They have a new ending, just waiting. This was from a marching member when I asked if they were putting it in tonight.

• Like 1

We're now officially in the season of MY NEW CLOSER CAN BEAT YOUR NEW CLOSER.

I'm only slightly kidding but this is where I genuinely think staff with championship experience can guide a great drum corps needing those few tenths to being THE BEST.

Blue Devil's last minute additions to INK last to wrest the title from Crown is about the best I've ever seen. And BD staff saw this coming from practically the beginning of the season and that's why they're the best.

Unreal.

Let's see if these other corps learned anything

• Like 1