Sizzlin' in HOTlanta (DCI Southeast, Atlanta - July 30th)

And YES winning Atlanta DOES mean something...like going on last in Allentown. Also winning San Antonio AND winning Atlanta helps Bluecoats with getting top seed at Indy. Doesn't confirm because Allentown will be figured in to the mix.

Allentown, Friday

5:00 p.m. Gates Open 6:30 p.m. Welcome & National Anthem 6:40 p.m. Pioneer - Milwuakee, WI 6:57 p.m. Seattle Cascades - Seattle, WA 7:14 p.m. Colts - Dubuque, IA 7:31 p.m. Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA 7:48 p.m. Troopers - Casper, WY 8:05 p.m. Intermission 8:22 p.m. Madison Scouts - Madison, WI 8:39 p.m. The Academy - Tempe, AZ 8:56 p.m. Blue Knights - Denver, CO 9:13 p.m. Blue Devils - Concord, CA 9:30 p.m. Bluecoats - Canton, OH (won Atlanta) 9:47 p.m. Cadets 2 - Allentown, PA 10:21 p.m. Awards

Now that I've licked my wounds for a few minutes about my Oregon getting hosed I'd like to send some love to the following corps:

Bloo - every time I see this show I am more impressed. The Pink Floyd is melt-in-your-mouth tasty. And I never get tired of the downsy upsy on the ramps. It is beyond clever.

SCV - Love your show SO much. The opener sets such a beautiful mood for the show. You looked and sounded awesome tonight.

Cadets - Would you please play me your Respighi every time I want to venture out into the world? It makes me feel brave. If I were a statue and I heard you play it, I would come to life too.

Academy - You are an inspiration to the corps who want to play in the sand box with the big boys. Your designers have provided a primer with this show.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 5

Always nice to hear music from The Mission. The score to that movie is excellent, and there's some pieces from it that definitely translate well to the field.

The score is by far the best thing about that movie.

(Well, the cinematography by Chris Menges is actually pretty darn good too. His work was also the best part of Neil Jordan's Michael Collins.)

Though lately I've noticed that "Gabriel's Oboe" sounds rather like part of "The Trio": same rhythm but different notes.

• Like 1

I can see why these guys [Alliance] place towards the top of Class A. Good opening statement (after some interesting recorded vocals).

By my count, Alliance had 73 on the field tonight, with at least five holes in the brass.

That would make them too large for Class A this year, if I remember correctly that the cut off is 65.

So it's back up to Open Class for them.

(It looked like Carolina Gold had 76 tonight with 7 holes, and Atlanta CV had 127, with no holes that I saw.)

Well, they [Florida] USED to have a World Class corps. Well, Div. I anyway. I remember enjoying Magic of Orlando's show in 2004, though I know they were already beyond their heyday.

And before Magic there was an even better Div. I corps from Florida: Suncoast Sound.

For that matter, wasn't Florida Wave also Div. I? Checking, checking . . . looks like they were. They placed 13th in 1987.

More recently, Teal Sound was World Class for two years before folding.

Who else, I wonder?

I didn't think it was possible to suck all the fun out of Surf. That's what this show did. They could have done so much more for a show called "Ebb and Flow" to make it fun and standout, while being a little more serious if that was their goal. Instead it seems like a show you could call "Another sea show with La Mer". Performing it well, but these last few years it seems like they can't find a middle ground between being really fun and something that can compete. The giving show was well intentioned but really dull, last year was over the top, but fun, and this year is back to 2014. Academy has taken that torch and ran away with it. No reason Surf couldn't do the same.

Didn't see Surf tonight, but based on earlier performances this year, while Surf's show is indeed much less entertaining than 2012-2013 and in some ways even last year (although that show was executed quite poorly), I vastly prefer this year to the 2014 show. It's just straight up playing and moving, and if it were just clean, it would be effective as such.

Now I could be a little biased because I've long been a fan of Bobby Darin's "Beyond the Sea" (aka Charles Trenet's "La Mer").

That said, musically my favorite Surf show is their West Side Story show from 2002, even though it placed 7th in Div. II. I've never seen it and know it only from the DCI CD for that year.

• Like 1

Me whenever I hear narration like this: well at least it's not a corps member talking :glare:

Me whenever I hear narration like that: why do DCI rules allow someone who's not even a member "perform"?

• Like 2

Not a fan of Boston last year, or this year. I LOVED Animal Farm... which I know is a bit backwards for most

"Animal Farm" was a wonderful show. Way too difficult, though. Nobody could have cleaned that monster, but I'm glad they tried. (And they only watered it down a little over the course of the season.)

Eat 'em up BOSTON!!!!

Did anyone else notice that Brandt Crocker pronounced the show title as "kee-ah-tic" rather than "kwik-sah-tic"?

• Like 2