Tour of Champions Massillon, Ohio 8/8/16

After seeing the show live, I am convinced that Crown will pass BD at finals. As for the comment earlier that many had crown over Bloo, that was not the case in my section. So many great performances tonight. Favorite oops moment was the car alarm going off during the Bluecoats ballad. Was very distracting and the crowd did react to this. Agree with jwillis, if Bloo cleans, they will be champions.

That is of course just your opinion.

:)

Yep. It's my opinion backed up by the sheets.

Examine the top three shows. Crown's show hinges on their ability to tell a story, and they are still having difficulty doing so. Like I posted, their brass section is phenomenal, but that is just one of many components that come into play. Bloo is a GE monster, but there is no through line to their show other than various members running up and sliding down the ramps in an attempt to validate their title of "Down Side Up" (their "architectural" approach does not help explain their original approach). BD has, musically and visually, the superior show, which is nothing new. The backlash against them winking three in a row is what is their biggest challenge at this point in time. They march better, they play better, their drum line is vastly underrated, and the general consensus in the drum corps world is that folks don't want them to three peat. Do other corps in the top three have fantastic shows? Absolutely. Are they out designing and out performing the Blue Devils? According to what appears on the sheets, no.

If the Devs do their job and are accordingly judged, they win three in a row next week.

"Please follow protocol and GET! IN! LINE!"

Tonight was the first time all year that the phrase "please follow protocol" was intelligible to me . . . and that despite having one of the worst seats in the house.

• Like 1

Going to throw this out there, and maybe I'm wrong, but is this not the same field that was brutalized last night by the field crew and forced the cancellation of the football game?

Others have answered, but to further clarify: the stadium where the NFL preseason game was cancelled is in Canton, about six miles east of the stadium where tonight's DCI competition was held in Massillon. (I passed the former en route to the latter.)

I can't disagree any more without being rude. All three have incredible productions and members of all captions top to bottom, and the fact that they are all so close competitively with such vastly different styles is a testament to the state of the activity and the judges.

Be rude, if necessary.

I have been around this activity for far too long to be offended. The reason they are so close competitively is because DCI needs it to be that way. From a "sheet" standpoint, BD is head and shoulders (once again) ahead of the competition. They could very well take third next week, but that won't be a reflection of what is on the field. It will reflect DCI's need to continue to promote their activity as a place where anyone can triumph, even though there is a reason we call the corps we all know as the "big six".

Let's face it... Blue Knights, The Academy, Crossmen...they aren't winning DCI any time soon.

If the judging plays out correctly,with all performances being equal, the Blue Devils win number eighteen.

That's funny. Pepsi flag pulled across the field, but they had to change the spelling to "POPSI" to avoid copyright issues.

Yeah, I think as far back as Atlanta, Pepsi is "Popsi" and Coca-Cola is "Caco-Cola".

The Reagan quote isn't there. Was it removed or did not just work?

The back and forth between Trump and Reagan is in there, though.

I couldn't hear either Reagan or Trump tonight; those few seconds were silent for me. But there was a new (or new to me) prerecorded singing part immediately following, "it's pro-po-gan-da" repeated a few times.

Yep. It's my opinion backed up by the sheets.

Examine the top three shows. Crown's show hinges on their ability to tell a story, and they are still having difficulty doing so. Like I posted, their brass section is phenomenal, but that is just one of many components that come into play. Bloo is a GE monster, but there is no through line to their show other than various members running up and sliding down the ramps in an attempt to validate their title of "Down Side Up" (their "architectural" approach does not help explain their original approach). BD has, musically and visually, the superior show, which is nothing new. The backlash against them winking three in a row is what is their biggest challenge at this point in time. They march better, they play better, their drum line is vastly underrated, and the general consensus in the drum corps world is that folks don't want them to three peat. Do other corps in the top three have fantastic shows? Absolutely. Are they out designing and out performing the Blue Devils? According to what appears on the sheets, no.

If the Devs do their job and are accordingly judged, they win three in a row next week.

Channel3? Is that you?

• Like 2

BK that was the best run I've seen all season imo. I really enjoyed this show live!

My first time seeing BK's show live, and I enjoyed much of it. But from the far right upper corner where i sat, even high school kids around me were noticing their diagonals were far from straight. I hope that when full recaps are released at the end of the season, they reveal that Scouts were ahead tonight in visual execution.

I'll tell you this, this is a show worth listening to in a standstill formation.

The second ballad and the closer really shone in the standstill. The rest, for me, remains too synth-dependent.