DCI WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PRELIMS - 8/11/16

My theater experience wasn't the greatest. but it was mostly my fault I guess.

We went to the Puente Hills AMC 20 in SoCal a little late because of life. I tried to time it so we would get to see Academy. Got to the theater and it was sold out! Several people behind me wanted to see this too. I bet they turned a bunch of people away. So I picked the WRONG theater. It would have been nice for them to pick a larger theater though...

I had to scramble and find a theater that wasn't sold out. There were a tons of places playing BLL, but they were pretty evenly spaced so that I only had one shot at getting to a theater before the top 9 started. I had to drive 30 minutes (15 miles) to Orange County Century theater where there were plenty of seats available. I got there right in time for intermission!

Anyway, the crowd was pretty good and quiet in the right places. They especially liked Cavaliers, Cadets, CROWN, BLUE DEVILS, SCV, and Bluecoats....

Thank goodness I could get to another theater in time to see 9 corps! Totally worth it.

I'm reading that recaps are being withheld from even staff, is that true?

So...in the bowels of Lucas Oil stadium, staff members are allowed to look at a single copy of the recap locked in a glass case?

NSFW (sorry forgot about the very end of this)

Edited by corpsband

DEVILS!!!! I don't know how anything beats that! Now I'm confused ... :). How in the world do the judges call this ...

Well, there were minor flaws in everyone's show tonight. One member of Bluecoats' opening flying wedge was very obviously late for the first five seconds of that dance sequence, for instance. And a BD soloist had trouble with a wireless mic (trouble that's happened earlier this season--they should just move that person from the scaffolds to the front and be done with it).

• Like 1

BD=Meh=does not get it.

You cannot proclaim that they are not stellar at what they do. Like it? That's your opinion. Calling it "meh"? Not objectively watching the performance.

I don't mind "meh". In the end, it's all subjective. I do mind "meh" without any supporting arguments.

• Like 1

Wow, those soloists in Phantom.

Seconded. And in particular, the young lady's (trumpet) sound had me totally and audibly sighing. SUCH beautiful tone and control. And judgng by the post-show interview, a sweet and well-grounded young lady, to boot.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 1

5DCV4It.gif

The audience in our theatre, Cinemark in Mesa, AZ simply went "Nutso" with delight with that perfectly timed wink. Brilliant!

• Like 1

I used to be BD homer -- loved their music, their style. But after 2004 I just had a really difficult time getting into the style of music. I have moments from their shows since that I do like, but just can't seem to find a show that grabs me. I try to like them. Not a knock on the kids, just the show design.

Post-2004, I would list Blue Devils shows in this order of preference, from my most favored to least:

2006 "The Godfather, Part Blue"

2014 "Felliniesque"

2008 "Constantly Risking Absurdity"

2007 "Winged Victory"

2016 "As Dreams Are Made On"

2015 "Ink"

2012 "Cabaret Voltaire"

2009 "1930"

2010 "Through a Glass Darkly"

2011 "The Beat My Heart Skipped"

2013 "The re:Rite of Spring"

2005 "Dance Derby of the Century"

And, as soon as I say something about the [bluecoats] flugel soloist, he has a problem, either playing wise or with the mic.

In the cinema, it looked like the mic; he appeared to be playing in closeup at that point.

• Like 2

Blue Devils = melodies

Bluecoats = 16th note phrases repeated around a ballad

What's hard to believe?

I love both shows, but to the degree that this characterization could possibly be true, I'd reverse it. Although it might be more appropriate to describe BD's show as jumping from one motif to another to another (except in the ballad), something I generally find annoying, but BD as usual makes it work.

• Like 1

This is the most enjoyable show I have seen from BD in a long time. Other than the Justin bit my biggest beef is their usage of T-Bones. I place their trombones 1st in power but last in taste and effect. Glissing as loud as you can over and over gets old... even for a trombone player.

I was very supportive of BD's trombone use earlier this year. I still think it is a very effective way of musically suggesting rough seas, and the inciting incident of The Tempest is a shipwreck, after all. But now I think they go back to that well one time too many--and with not enough dynamic variety. Partly fixable.