Too many amplifiers?

If the synth is part of the ensemble of the corps, it should part of the ensemble.

If it sticks out, it affects the audience's experience of the performance and should be penalized...if not in the GE score (since it's a staff failure), then as a penalty.

• Like 2

Amplification not only affects what we hear, it affects our emotional reaction to it.

IMO amplification blocks the formation of an emotional connection between the corps and the fan.

So, IMO, whatever benefit amplification may provide, the "cost" to DCI will be similar to that suffered by other performing arts after adding amplification (orchestra, theater, opera, ballet, etc. etc.), no creation of new emotional connections resulting in a shrinking, aging pool of endowments and significant sponsorships by general fans.

• Like 2

Arent 2 amps enough? Why 15?

Try running 20 mics through one speaker

Phantom - 4 sets of speakers.

4 too many. Lol.

• Like 2

Arent 2 amps enough? Why 15?

Do you mean speaker stacks?

No.

Limiting to 2 speaker stacks creates more balance problems than it solves.

Professionals know better.

And you'd think players would be able to play without so much amplification. Guess we're wrong sometimes...

I put this in another thread, but it's applicable here. Corps should use harmonics in the infrasound range, so you would get the impact punch, but you wouldn't actually hear it. Movies already do this to build tension.

Movies are mostly over-amplified, relentless slugfests these days, right? Like look at Batman vs. Superman etc... Movies are becoming more like amusement park rides, an overwhelming multisensory experience (IN 3D!) and drum corps are just fitting in with the times.

I just can't fathom that the Cadets staff can observe the show day after day and think, "The bass synth is perfectly balanced and not too loud at all. This is fine."

I know, right? But Hroth, here's the thing--

I was at the Pittsburgh show in June in 2009. The first month of synth useage ever, and it was really bad. Their electronic bass approache has not changed at all in 8 seasons

• Like 2

Interesting topic. Sitting through most of the early evening and night, it's very apparent that there's a ton of goo coming out of the electronics.

There was one corps tonight that was richly loud and sounded, to my ears, the best of the all without all the help - because they simply didn't it.

• Like 1