2017 PREDICTIONS!

BK always gets a 13th place or lower vote- cracks me up.... Boston usually gets same treatment..... Predictions should include an automatic BK/Boston 13th slot.... LOL

I know after "Avian" in 2012 there were folks who had Blue Knights tumble, but after 2013, I thought most folks had them placing higher. BAC has been predicted to fall, and quite frankly this past year it was said with glee, and it had nothing to do with Academy making finals for the first time. Madison and Phantom took some pop shots too.

Personally I do not see Blue Knights falling from finals. I'm not sure how this will all play out. Though I would love to see BAC in the top 5, I think at least the top 10, possibly 7-9 is likely. This gets them to where they were from 2011-2013 and puts them on a good path to future success. Academy will have the most to prove. I think they can do it, but it's not a given. Madison most likely will come back with a vengeance. Some have predicted Blue Stars will fall, but I think they are in a good place as is the case with Crossmen. Maybe I'm taking the easy way out, but it's too soon for me to predict.

1. BD

2. SCV

3. Blooooo

I'd guess you have the top 3. I'm not convinced of the order. My guess is that we will again have a dog fight for the top spot, all season long.

My early predictions

1.SCV

2.Carolina Crown

3.Blue Devils

4.Bluecoats

5.Cavaliers

6.Phantom Regiment

7.Cadets

8.Blue Stars

9.Blue Knights

10.Boston Crusaders

11.Madison Scouts

12.Crossmen/Academy

13.Crossmen/Academy

Even with a new staff, Boston's show design and general effect fall flat in comparison to others in the top 10. Academy is coming into their identity and will continue to shoot upwards with their recent success and overwhelming support. Boston has been doing more or less of the same for the past decade and will struggle to break into the top 10. Crossmen will duke it out with BAC and Academy will go head to head with Stars/Madison. Madison will recover from last season and make it back to finals. Troopers has potential to knock out one of the top 12 and get in for Saturday night.
8. Blue Stars
9. Academy
10. Madison
11. Crossmen
12. BAC
13. Troopers

*And Tim Snyder will return to defend his title as heavy weight champion of the DCI Semifinals Post Show Throwdown

Edited by gentle123
  • Like 2

Crossmen will continue to improve, and hopefully move up the rankings.

BAC will be better, but not the worst to first finalist corps that many are thinking.

BK will continue to amaze/creep us out.

• Like 1

1. Blue Devils - they just have it figured out. They have a stronger "JV" than most corps Varsity and have a C Corps, which no one else has at all. Meaning, they have an average age of probably 19-21 every year. Kids get immersed in the system for several years and they get "cream of the crop" auditioned from all over. Even in a large age out year, which I can't imagine being much more than 30, they have kids from B that can go right in and the best of the auditions to step in. I can see them winning their 25th title by the time they celebrate their 65th Anniversary.

2. Crown - if they can get someone to believe their percussionists play at a high level and are taught by people who know their stuff, because that's the only thing holding them back. They seem to have the other captions pretty well understood. They even play more than anyone else - over 8 minutes! No one came within a half a minute of time playing time on the field.

3. Santa Clara - they will make it close, I think, but there seems to be something holding this corps in the same placement area of 4-7. Have no idea, especially after the beautiful show they brought forth last year. Visually and musically it was stunning! Maybe it needs the ghost of Gail Royer to appear through a mirror in the center of the field.

4. Bluecoats - I don't know how they can top the three year run they have had in the past three years on their way to the title! I'm not sure where they are taking us next, but I'm willing to follow! Their use of electronics assisting with, combining with and used on its own has been ground breaking and exciting to say the least. Like many of the old folk who were looking at the involvement of electronics as Satans work in taking Drum Corps as we knew it, to hell and back, I have been not just pleasantly surprised at what they have done, but have cheered it every show (sorry to my fellow old folks - I've been around drum corps since the early 70s and loved every second of parking and barking, anything you can play, I can play louder and higher and color guard that was featured with devil may care equipment work and dangerous exchanges, tosses and head chops!). I look forward with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind for finding out and experiencing next years show!

5. Cavies - the Cavies are back, the cavies are back - now can they keep the swagger, geometric patterns, drill cleanliness and take what they did on the field last year to new heights?

6. Cadets - lots of staff changes and some friendly faces being brought back to the staff. I am hoping to see the innovation and success that was the hallmark of this corps!

7. Phantom Regiment - let me hear that sound that makes me want to listen. No one has that beautifully balanced deep symphonic sound! Put a show together worthy of your history and foresight!

8. Boston Crusaders - a plan to make it to the top of the heap, new staff, new attitudes, new lots of everything. I hope we can see you slay the dragon and make the journey worth everything it should be!

9. Blue Star - good job of keeping the momentum they have going forward. I like seeing and hearing what they've come up with. A Sideshow, A Dream, what's next?

10. Blue Knights - there is a corps for everyone that each of us has that they just don't get, either their show, their music, their visual package or something. Blue Knights is that one for me. I don't get where they are going or what they are doing.

11. Crossmen - they have been one of my favorites from their beginning. I have one of the original capes (they auctioned them off in 78, IIRC). Loved that look, the sound they had. I love seeing Bones at Finals. They seem to have leveled out and maybe have the Texas market cornered!

12. Scouts/Troopers/Academy - two oldies and a newbie. Who goes in what direction will be determined by the planning of each of these staffs in trying to find what each group of kids handle best.

All these staff changes are already making for a very unpredictable season in my eyes. I highly suspect we won't see any changes at Bluecoats or Blue Devils. No real weaknesses in 2016, and they competed really well. Blue Knights have no changes confirmed.

Can probably say the same for Santa Clara Vanguard and The Cavaliers, maybe some minor adjustments but I really don't see much changing.

As shocking as it was to me after Carolina Crowns guard changes and others leaving, it feels like it might be time for a slight change to give them a push over the top. Looking for a refreshing visual package next year, depending on who they hire.

The Cadets. Hmm. They lost some of the best in the business across the board in the last two years. But they have had some really solid hires. I REALLY hope this means a change or adjustment in program coordination, there is no reason they shouldn't have been competing for a few titles after 2011 with who they had. Hope this is a genesis of something really refreshing for them.

Feels like it's gonna be a battle of tried and true staffs that have been clicking and new directions and (hopefully) refreshing shows after some adjustments.

Edited by DrumManTx

I just read this article on dci.org. I looked up The Company on YouTube. For some reason I'm having trouble gauging them, but if they're competing at the Thursday show I honestly think they have a shot at the Saturday show next year. Could shake things up.