2017 PREDICTIONS!

All these staff changes are already making for a very unpredictable season in my eyes. I highly suspect we won't see any changes at Bluecoats or Blue Devils. No real weaknesses in 2016, and they competed really well. Blue Knights have no changes confirmed.

Can probably say the same for Santa Clara Vanguard and The Cavaliers, maybe some minor adjustments but I really don't see much changing.

As shocking as it was to me after Carolina Crowns guard changes and others leaving, it feels like it might be time for a slight change to give them a push over the top. Looking for a refreshing visual package next year, depending on who they hire.

The Cadets. Hmm. They lost some of the best in the business across the board in the last two years. But they have had some really solid hires. I REALLY hope this means a change or adjustment in program coordination, there is no reason they shouldn't have been competing for a few titles after 2011 with who they had. Hope this is a genesis of something really refreshing for them.

Feels like it's gonna be a battle of tried and true staffs that have been clicking and new directions and (hopefully) refreshing shows after some adjustments.

Crown losing their Guard/Vis team and percussion can almost be as big as Cavies losing Micheal Gaines. They tumbled and that was a corps that WON several times with him. Not sure Crown will "weather" the storm as well as people think UNLESS they get someone huge to replace.

Cadets had one big loss (Jeff Saktig) in 2016 and nose dived....

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 1

Crown losing their Guard/Vis team and percussion can almost be as big as Cavies losing Micheal Gaines. They tumbled and that was a corps that WON several times with him. Not sure Crown will "weather" the storm as well as people think UNLESS they get someone huge to replace.

Cadets had one big loss (Jeff Saktig) in 2016 and nose dived....

To me it's not a loss until we know who the replacement is. Honestly depending on who they pick up as drill writer this could actually help them quite a bit. I look at 2014 and 2015 and wonder how much higher they could have placed with better designed visual packages. 2013 was solid and got pretty clean, as did 2016, but I can't say outside of a 3D pyramid and a Crown set or two their drill wasn't too memorable. I really respect Leon's work, and think he is a very talented writer, just think they need something a touch more modern. Not saying Bluecoats type stuff, just a little more progressive.

And don't know enough on the guard, some people are saying it's just Townsend that left and the rest are staying, and others are saying everyone left. That will be hard to replace, but they're not just gonna let anyone in.

Percussion made solid progress, don't know if it's just Aungst leaving either there so we shall see.

Like I said, not a loss really unless the replacement is really mediocre.

Edited by DrumManTx

Crown losing their Guard/Vis team and percussion can almost be as big as Cavies losing Micheal Gaines.

I see it as a good opportunity for an upgrade for overall visual.

I didn't realize they lost their guard staff, too, though.

Even with a new staff, Boston's show design and general effect fall flat in comparison to others in the top 10. Academy is coming into their identity and will continue to shoot upwards with their recent success and overwhelming support. Boston has been doing more or less of the same for the past decade and will struggle to break into the top 10. Crossmen will duke it out with BAC and Academy will go head to head with Stars/Madison. Madison will recover from last season and make it back to finals. Troopers has potential to knock out one of the top 12 and get in for Saturday night.

8. Blue Stars

9. Academy

10. Madison

11. Crossmen

12. BAC

13. Troopers

*And Tim Snyder will return to defend his title as heavy weight champion of the DCI Semifinals Post Show Throwdown

m

So your contention is that Boston with new staff adds and the possible improved talent pool along with retainage of their younger now more experienced MM's will not improve position at all?? And a new brass and percussion design team will not have influence in creating a new and improved music book and execution/performance level? And. Included in your logical prediction you have Academy, Madison and Troopers improving...based on? You cite reasons Boston won't improve but nothing noted why the others will.

• Like 2

I see it as a good opportunity for an upgrade for overall visual.

I didn't realize they lost their guard staff, too, though.

I thought Crown won the visual caption at finals and placed very high in guard so not sure how losing that part of staff is not "concerning". Of course a great replacement for guard and drill would be reassuring...

@LabMaster

1. New staff doesn't necessarily mean drastic improvements. Who's to say that the changes in staff will be the right changes for the future of BAC? Chemistry takes time to build and many people are jumping the gun in assuming that new staff will correlate to a drastic improvement in placement. It is ultimately up to the kids to bring home the end result. Comparatively, 2016 was a more uncertain year than 2015 for BAC, with them being on the verge of not performing on Saturday night. This could cause a drop in member retention and certainly wont do anything drastic for recruitment purposes.

2. Academy is coming off of a stellar year with they first finals appearance in their history as a corps. Member retention will likely spike and I would expect recruitment to be at a peak for this corps. They had their first taste of what its like to perform on Saturday night and I doubt they are ready to give that up. They're going to come out swinging and show DCI that they belong in the top 12. With their phenomenal show design and staff, they certainly have the potential to be a top 5 contender within the next 5-10 years.

3. You would be crazy to assume that Madison hasn't learned from their mistakes after this season. They are historically phenomenal musicians and performers, and it would be outrageous to assume that they wont push back in to finals after last season. They certainly have some lost ground to make up, but there is no reason to believe that they wont get back in the game come 2017.

4. Troopers will remain more or less the same, hovering on the cusp of finals like for the last 5 years. There is no reason to expect anything different this year. And with the loss of Tim "The Rock" Snyder, who knows who will pick up the slack?

And my mistake, here is my revised order:

9. Stars

10. Acad

11. Madison

12. Crossmen

13. BAC

14. Troop

m

So your contention is that Boston with new staff adds and the possible improved talent pool along with retainage of their younger now more experienced MM's will not improve position at all?? And a new brass and percussion design team will not have influence in creating a new and improved music book and execution/performance level? And. Included in your logical prediction you have Academy, Madison and Troopers improving...based on? You cite reasons Boston won't improve but nothing noted why the others will.

Its a wish list.. nothing wrong with wish lists either. its August, 2016. Placement predictions before mid June 2017 are like a roulette wheel spin... wherever the wheel and ball stops, its as good as any other, provided you stood by, watched, and kept your cash on the sidelines during the spin.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

BK always gets a 13th place or lower vote- cracks me up.... Boston usually gets same treatment..... Predictions should include an automatic BK/Boston 13th slot.... LOL

It's ok, you always single handedly balance those votes out!

• Like 1

m

At least it's not another 13th or worse post...LOL...

Edit: looks like he decided to change it to 13th or worse..that did not take long and was expected...haha

Edited by Liahona

But they're not going to "waive" such rules to the extent that an overage corps could displace a true junior corps from the final 12 on Saturday night.

Last I heard there was an International class for corps that don't conform to DCI rules. Not terrible helpful, but they'd get to perform at DCI events.