2017 PREDICTIONS!

This is incorrect. For the brass, there were only about 20 age outs. However, there has been some trouble with retaining those who didn't age out.

20 brass is still a lot of ageouts. That's 25%+ of the line. Also, when you consider comparable numbers at other corps. There have been corps in the range that Academy has been in to have had just over 20 ageouts total.

20 brass is still a lot of ageouts. That's 25%+ of the line. Also, when you consider comparable numbers at other corps. There have been corps in the range that Academy has been in to have had just over 20 ageouts total.

I was being generous with 20 brass. I thought it was 15 total age outs but I gave a little breathing room just in case I was remembering wrong.

I was being generous with 20 brass. I thought it was 15 total age outs but I gave a little breathing room just in case I was remembering wrong.

I don't know where these ageout figures for THE ACADEMY are coming from!? The Truth Is....they had only 11 that is ELEVEN TOTAL AGEOUTS.... ONLY 2 that is T W O of which were Brass members!. FYI; over 200 brass folks showed up for last weekends ACADEMY Brass auditions close to 50 Auditoned for Drum Major.

I don't know where these ageout figures for THE ACADEMY are coming from!? The Truth Is....they had only 11 that is ELEVEN TOTAL AGEOUTS.... ONLY 2 that is T W O of which were Brass members!. FYI; over 200 brass folks showed up for last weekends ACADEMY Brass auditions close to 50 Auditoned for Drum Major.

Only 200?...didn't someone say they were going to have about 700 or more auditionees?....sounds like just a lot of audition hype...of course quality trumps quantity in this regard anyway...

Edited by Liahona

Only 200?...didn't someone say they were going to have about 700 or more auditionees?....sounds like just a lot of audition hype...of course quality trumps quantity in this regard anyway...

Not from a financial standpoint it doesn't.

Not from a financial standpoint it doesn't.

Yes from that perspective I'd agree that makes sense...but that financial success is perhaps only a short term bump...not something that I'd imagine to be sustainable and certain...

I believe the 700 figure was the number of applicants who had shown interest/signed up across their camps for all positions which was up quite a bit from all previous years if I recall correctly. Number who showed up who knows.

Regardless, on the list of things that I have never actually seen correlate to a higher or lower placement is the good old prediction thread posts of:

"X corps had a big age out class, they're going to have a recovery year"

or

"X corps had a second week of July in the afternoon visual instructor staff change they will have to adjust and mesh"

and my favorite overhype:

"X corps had OVER 9000 auditionees which is their most ever!"

When it comes down to it every corps has age outs. Every corps replaces those age outs with people they think will do the job. Said new members will be green at first but come the weeks before that weekend in August they'll have nearly a season under their belt and will be working as hard as the oldest veterans.

And lets be honest, even if you have members that are top 8 quality (Madison Scouts last year) if the design doesn't measure up it won't really matter. The Academy has their same fantastic design staff along with some great additions to their percussion instructional staff (Lee Beddis who had some fantastic successes with a top 6 line at Madison Scouts in 2013 as well as some truly great lines at Carolina Crown prior). Regardless of numbers they probably have more experienced, more energized, and higher quality auditionees showing up.

So in short I bet The Academy will be fine whether they had 11 or 13.9785 age outs or if they only had 689.65 show up rather than 700 to auditions. If the design staff and instructional staff gives them a quality product and knows how to teach the experience of the membership. They will be fine.

And that applies to everyone.

:)

I believe the 700 figure was the number of applicants who had shown interest/signed up across their camps for all positions which was up quite a bit from all previous years if I recall correctly. Number who showed up who knows.

Regardless, on the list of things that I have never actually seen correlate to a higher or lower placement is the good old prediction thread posts of:

"X corps had a big age out class, they're going to have a recovery year"

or

"X corps had a second week of July in the afternoon visual instructor staff change they will have to adjust and mesh"

and my favorite overhype:

"X corps had OVER 9000 auditionees which is their most ever!"

When it comes down to it every corps has age outs. Every corps replaces those age outs with people they think will do the job. Said new members will be green at first but come the weeks before that weekend in August they'll have nearly a season under their belt and will be working as hard as the oldest veterans.

And lets be honest, even if you have members that are top 8 quality (Madison Scouts last year) if the design doesn't measure up it won't really matter. The Academy has their same fantastic design staff along with some great additions to their percussion instructional staff (Lee Beddis who had some fantastic successes with a top 6 line at Madison Scouts in 2013 as well as some truly great lines at Carolina Crown prior). Regardless of numbers they probably have more experienced, more energized, and higher quality auditionees showing up.

So in short I bet The Academy will be fine whether they had 11 or 13.9785 age outs or if they only had 689.65 show up rather than 700 to auditions. If the design staff and instructional staff gives them a quality product and knows how to teach the experience of the membership. They will be fine.

And that applies to everyone.

:)

I agree...I guess I was more pointing out that it really doesn't matter what the numbers are in reality...arguing about numbers makes no real sense...more interest though is definitely a positive thing...honestly I'd love to see them have the bump Boston had in the years 98, 99 and then 2000...15th, 9th, and then 5th....The Academy could in fact experience a similar trajectory...15th...11th...and BOOM....Would that not be the coolest thing ever? :smile:

• Like 1