Staff merri-go-round

I have not been on dcp for weeks...very busy band season, so I am late to this latest conversation. Is some actually suggesting that members of Cadets or Crown opting to check out Boston is a problem? Really? What about over the last 15 years when BAC kids were checking out other corps? And yes, a certain BAC soloist WAS offered a full ride a few years ago by another corps...

Perhaps, just as is the case with "staff migration", in some peoples' minds personnel should only move in the direction of certain corps.....

Now, THAT would be a rigged system, wouldn't it? :)

• Like 1

If accusations or insinuations of corps-raiding, signing bonuses, and financial inducements are in fact true and not just urban legend, then ramifications may be undoing.

If financial inducements or reductions in kind are offered some but not all MMs of any individual corps, at what point does the MM cease to be an amateur as compared to being a paid professional with the inducement or reduction understood as payment in kind? At what point do DCI member corps thus lose taxation, grant, and other perks as being a youth activity rather than as an employer of performing youth?

While lawyers, accountants, and administrations debate those fine points and others may hold many and varied opinions about the applications about the application process called auditions and membership, the horizon doesn't seem much distant from what some complained when G-7, G-8, self-anointed Elite proposed themselves as the Professionals of the Activity and such directors spoke of drum corps as a 12 month cadre of superlative performers.

Posts from others in response may generate the need for a new thread and discussion as this thread has wandered from the announcements of what faculty members will be teaching where..

I have not been on dcp for weeks...very busy band season, so I am late to this latest conversation. Is some actually suggesting that members of Cadets or Crown opting to check out Boston is a problem? Really? What about over the last 15 years when BAC kids were checking out other corps? And yes, a certain BAC soloist WAS offered a full ride a few years ago by another corps...

Perhaps, just as is the case with "staff migration", in some peoples' minds personnel should only move in the direction of certain corps.....

Now, THAT would be a rigged system, wouldn't it? :)

No. In fact no one here has said that at all. In fact any members who are receiving those considerations are crazy not to accept them as they aren't being offered elsewhere. One does wonder how that might be playing out for those who aren't getting those considerations.

BTW migration is natural instinct. Chumming is not migration. I can see where some folks might get those two things confused. Funny thing is sometimes chumming just doesn't give you the results you're expecting!

v8v6uVh.jpg.

Edited by corpsband

I am reminded of the end of the 2007 season, when there was a change of director in Boston. Most staff left and most of the kids left, with, as memory serves, over three dozen kids going to Cadets. They simply went to where they thought they would have a better experience, but it left BAC with only 31 vets (and no vets at all in the guard).

Boston persevered, and with over hundred high school kids out of the 135 total that year, they placed 10th. The corps just played the hand they were dealt.

I am in close contact with many members of BAC, and as far as I know, one of the attractions to a lot of the kids is simply that the fees in Boston are less than the other two to begin with....but even if they were not, is this situation not the same as those BAC members going en masse to Cadets in 2008?

• Like 1

I am reminded of the end of the 2007 season, when there was a change of director in Boston. Most staff left and most of the kids left, with, as memory serves, over three dozen kids going to Cadets. They simply went to where they thought they would have a better experience, but it left BAC with only 31 vets (and no vets at all in the guard).

Boston persevered, and with over hundred high school kids out of the 135 total that year, they placed 10th. The corps just played the hand they were dealt.

I am in close contact with many members of BAC, and as far as I know, one of the attractions to a lot of the kids is simply that the fees in Boston are less than the other two to begin with....but even if they were not, is this situation not the same as those BAC members going en masse to Cadets in 2008?

I hope the results for all are better than what Cadets had in 2008. As you remember there was a bloody coup in Bloomington.

Just catching up on this thread: Prompted by the G7 pushing for anyone lower to become irrelevant, the organization responds and lays the foundation for growth (see Inspire Arts & Music in 5 years the budget grows from $800K to $ 4 Million), hires a great COO/Executive Director, he has relationships with people that go way back, staffs from different groups want to work together and decide that Boston is the corps, kids have lot's of reasons to stay or go to different corps - the number one driver is the staff (recent DCI member survey) and here we are.

• Like 2

Seems the shuttle from Lehigh Valley Airport (ABE) to Logan (BOS) has passengers both directions.

Cadets' new media person,Katie Trombetti, just left that same position of several seasons with Boston Crusaders/AIM. https://yea.org/21-static/yea/1402-new-faces-at-yea

Glad to see Cadets viz staff list brings back Jon Bilby with several English corps also in the States this summer.

Besides Darryl, he seems to be the only Sacktig-era notable holdover.

https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/staff.

Edited by xandandl

Gino will be going back to the buccaneers.

No matter how much bullying or tantrums you want to use to intimidate, other posters and I won't be shut up or shut out just because of your say so.

No thread on DCP is a restricted membership country club. All threads are open to all posters.

You asked a generic question about a corps with whom I've had a multi-decade affiliation. I responded to the question with a summary answer from my experience and discussions with present and past staff members..

Your question sought more info. I said I didn't have it and what I had I was being respectful of the trust of others.

Barnevald had interjected her/himself into the discussion with no new information except taunting and your dynamic changes. Or was it a set up for your tantrum?.

My answer displeases you and you throw out an edict.

DCP has already lost many posters (according to the annual numbers of users in the footnote pages and the several posted assessments of a former proprietor) partially due to such self appointed edicts and silliness. Perhaps you are missing the change of culture at Crusaders where the B in BAC is now re-asserting itself as Best not Bully.

Oh stop it. Nobody is bullying anyone. Don't be so sensitive. What I asked was reasonable and I asked respectfully. You put something out there that appeared very definitive then closed it off. Kind of; I can tell you but I'll have to kill you. There's no problem with being general but you weren't, so I asked. When you backed off, I challenged you and you didn't like it. Sorry to offend. I don't think anyone on DCP has an issue with proveable facts. It's innuendo and inference that's starts heads spinning. I respect that you have a lot of history and experience to offer in the dialogue on DCP. But you don't need to be calling someone a bully in the very manner of a bully!
  • Like 1