Staff merri-go-round

While true.... not all DCI Drum Corps have the Corps Directors so heavily involved in the actual production that is put onto the field, and the changes that might be required from judge critiques after seeing & hearing the production on the field. To GH's credit, the years the Cadets have been successful competitively, he was involved to that success to some degree as he was hands on to the production. However, such heavy involvement in the on field production can be a double edged sword sometimes. I have no direct knowledge of what the set up the Boston Crusaders will have with their new staff they've hired will be, but most of Mgt at Boston do not making their full time careers in Drum Corps/ MB ( GH makes between $180,000- 200,000 year at YEA , Cadets ). They make their living as Attorneys, Investment Bankers, etc and in other non MB/ Drum Corps positions. While many of the the Boston current MGT marched BAC in their youth, my guess, they intend to create a creative environment for their new hires that will be a bit different what they might have had before, especially under the environment under GH, and his Cadets.

Interesting info.

My perception is, George is George, regardless of where he works or what he works on. If Cadets were the only drum corps that had its executive director hands on involved or not, would not matter one iota to George. It's how he is, it's how he wants it to be, and most importantly, that's how it will always be so long as the board allows it.

George is no dummy, obviously. He has had countless successes in most everything he has been involved in. Cadets may not exist today were he not leading the charge a decade ago.

As I have said, I have worked with and around these sorts of personalities a lot, being in the creative business here in Nashville. They tend to attract very highly motivated, creatively driven people who have great talent, but they also tend to systematically burn through those people in a predictable amount of time. You just burn the candle at both ends and get tired of the drama and inconsistencies.

These folks in my experience tend to chalk that up to the cost of success, and also it tends to cement their position in their organization, when you are constantly churning through people, you remain the only constant.

Regardless, though, if you choose to work at cadets, you choose to work for George, and whatever you experience is ultimately your decision. Same is true at crown, academy, bac and every other corps.

• Like 2

Fired or not given the opportunity to return, not exactly he same thing, but the result is a new design staff for the Cadets.

While I understand your central point, GH is the only guy on the " design staff " at the moment. That no doubt will change, as GH fills the positions. ( T. Aungst was... I think the new word flavor of the month now is " poached "... from Carolina Crown by GH and the Cadets a few days ago for Percussion with Colin McNutt's leaving ).

Edited by BRASSO

Will Marc Sylvester return now to the Cadets ( Visuals) ? As long time Drum Corps followers here know, there is a lot of history between MS, and GH working together with the Cadets visuals in the past ( same as with Aungst with Cadets, Percussion ). Or has that shipped sailed now between MS and GH too ? What do DCP'er here think of that possibility of the return of MS to GH and Cadets ? Is Daryl Pemberton returning to the Cadets for 2017, do we know ?

Edited by BRASSO

Will Marc Sylvester return now to the Cadets ( Visuals) ? As long time Drum Corps followers here know, there is a lot of history between MS, and GH working together with the Cadets visuals in the past ( same as with Aungst with Cadets, Percussion ). Or has that shipped sailed now between MS and GH too ? What do DCP'er here think of that possibility of the return of MS to GH and Cadets ? Is Daryl Pemberton returning to the Cadets for 2017, do we know ?

It almost sounds like a user-created Soap Opera to deflect some attention.

Is this "The Soup" created by some users?

Edited by Fish

Sully brought in Craig Sellers who worked under Sully at Colts. He's very strong and will probably be a cleaning guy along with Marc and maybe some of the older vet techs. I think Tom Aungst's return is important in that he relates well with people so more vet staff may consider returning. Hoping Jeff comes back for drill. Still waiting on brass team announcement and a big name for design.
  • Like 2

Whether people left because of George, or George pushed them out, ultimately doesn't matter. Gotta get on his ship or get off.

When his ship is kept afloat by the money he's constantly asking for, one would think he'd be a bit more Captain Phillips and a bit less Captain Ahab.

• Like 1

I have no direct knowledge of what the set up the Boston Crusaders will have with their new staff they've hired will be, but most of Mgt at Boston do not making their full time careers in Drum Corps/ MB ( GH makes between $180,000- 200,000 year at YEA , Cadets ).

I looked at the Guidestar stuff a couple years ago, and the salary I saw for the executive director of YEA was less than half of what you're suggesting. I'm sure he gets some extra perks (e.g., I wouldn't be surprised if the organization pays for his tickets/trips to see broadway and dance performances), but I doubt they sum to the number above.

NEVERMIND - I stand corrected. It is indeed the amount you suggested. Wow - never would've guessed that.

Edited by kdaddy

Sully brought in Craig Sellers who worked under Sully at Colts. He's very strong and will probably be a cleaning guy along with Marc and maybe some of the older vet techs. I think Tom Aungst's return is important in that he relates well with people so more vet staff may consider returning. Hoping Jeff comes back for drill. Still waiting on brass team announcement and a big name for design.

You seem plugged in to Cadets, Tobias..... so what can you update us on Jarrett Lipman's status there with GH, & Cadets. Is Lipman joining Gino at Boston too ? Or staying ?

I looked at the Guidestar stuff a couple years ago, and the salary I saw for the executive director of YEA was less than half of what you're suggesting. I'm sure he gets some extra perks (e.g., I wouldn't be surprised if the organization pays for his tickets/trips to see broadway and dance performances), but I doubt they sum to the number above.

990's for 2013 ( public info, & flled with the IRs) shows that GH's salary 3 years ago was $181,000. Its been public knowledge that for over a decade now that GH has made well over a 6 figure income with YEA/ Cadets. ( He's earned that, imo ) if you find something somewhere that GH makes under $90,000 at YEA/ Cadets disregard that info... as even x Cadets here on DCP knows that would be false.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1