2017 Boston Crusaders

On 6/20/2017 at 0:06 AM, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

50 bucks says that guard girl will be being burned at the stake by seasons end.

15 hours ago, Liahona said:

Some really nice photos from Orlando show last night...I don't dare put these in the show thread...someone over there might POP a gasket ...haha

19780428_1490136114363660_14965830839736

19787516_1490136031030335_36394129583126

19983346_1490136024363669_90011402903421

19787249_1490135994363672_79384280108490

19944183_1490138524363419_43260603431474

Boom. 

• Like 2

n January 1692, a group of young girls in Salem Village, Massachusetts became consumed by disturbing “fits” accompanied by seizures, violent contortions and bloodcurdling screams. A doctor diagnosed the children as being victims of black magic, and over the next several months, allegations of witchcraft spread like a virus through the small Puritan settlement. Twenty people were eventually executed as witches, but contrary to popular belief, none of the condemned was burned at the stake.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/ask-history/were-witches-burned-at-the-stake-during-the-salem-witch-trials

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

n January 1692, a group of young girls in Salem Village, Massachusetts became consumed by disturbing “fits” accompanied by seizures, violent contortions and bloodcurdling screams. A doctor diagnosed the children as being victims of black magic, and over the next several months, allegations of witchcraft spread like a virus through the small Puritan settlement. Twenty people were eventually executed as witches, but contrary to popular belief, none of the condemned was burned at the stake.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.history.com/news/ask-history/were-witches-burned-at-the-stake-during-the-salem-witch-trials

but burning has more GE, lol

• Like 2

Just now, general_tsos_chicken2 said:

but burning has more GE, lol

I just find the rewriting of American history so fascinating. 

9 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Look at the best seller lists. Often revisionist history is far more popular than the truth.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

What happened in Salem was a tragedy of blood lust disguised as religious fervor.  It's an episode in our history that should be treated with respect to the innocent lives destroyed by hysteria, and used to teach of the dangers of unreasoned fear. I mean, it's not like it hasn't happened other times in our history. 

The fact that the "mass hysteria" angle is left untouched in favor of ...what? Romance? Sex? Spectacular stage violence? in Boston's show makes it ring hollow, for me, despite the obvious talent on display.

Edited by Slingerland

10 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

What happened in Salem was a tragedy of blood lust disguised as religious fervor.  It's an episode in our history that should be treated with respect to the innocent lives destroyed by hysteria, and used to teach of the dangers of unreasoned fear. I mean, it's not like it hasn't happened other times in our history. 

The fact that the "mass hysteria" angle is left untouched in favor of ...what? Romance? Sex? Spectacular stage violence? in Boston's show makes it ring hollow, for me, despite the obvious talent on display.

Also part of the Salem witch issue, per se',  was the fact that some of the women were in the area were becoming powerful (property owners) and the local men, the elders, didn't like that happening and enabled accusations of witchcraft to be made and held up in their courts.  If I am understanding what you are insinuating,  that Boston is favoring the storytelling by romancing the issue and sexing it up (really?), then you are not understanding the presentation and the portrayal of "mass hysteria".  And spectacular stage violence? hello Sparticus and a number of examples mentioned previously.  If the story YOU wish were being told, is not to your satisfaction,  then that's kind of too bad because this is a creative show being performed extremely well and at the very least is proving to the DC world the Boston is in it for the competitive long haul and is moving forward.

Maybe I have misunderstood your post and if so I apologize, but the Salem witch trials were about a lot more issues than a small group of girls who accused people they didn't like of witchcraft, just so they wouldn't get in trouble themselves.  Nor was it all about blood lust or religious fervor.

Great show Boston !...  'overwhelming vast majority of people from coast to coast are seemingly enjoying the compelling, understandable, & chilling Drum Corps show  AND you're moving up the placement ranks with improved marcher performance and top tier instruction!. You're having a fantastic season so far! Keep it up !

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Maybe I have misunderstood your post and if so I apologize, but the Salem witch trials were about a lot more issues than a small group of girls who accused people they didn't like of witchcraft, just so they wouldn't get in trouble themselves.  Nor was it all about blood lust or religious fervor.

Clearly, you completely misunderstood all of it. Salem had nothing to do with the little girls or witchcraft - it had to do with adults who were so eager to cause suffering that they gleefully supported a process that saw others murdered while claiming to act under the guise of religious belief.

But as for seeming amazed that the sexuality isn't part of their approach, uh, hello? Wicked Games (which is sung in the show) is a song about overwhelming desire - not about women property owners. And have you met the guard uniform? 

19601221_1482812641762674_53280468287328

The kids in the corps are performing well, and are well taught. The show design concept is purely WGI, in every bad way.  The Salem episode is no more fitting for light entertainment than is the Oklahoma City bombing. YMMV, of course.

Edited by Slingerland