Cadets 2017

Some time creative types and people persons aren't the best at bookkeeping and financial bottom lines. Many reasons why a corps slips places; rarely one person's fault.

So glad to hear Jake Gall is returning to shepherd the battery; another alum, he has been the unsung hero of the drumline from Tom's days to Collin, now back to Tom. Good things to come.

Still laughing at the viz report. My sponorees from last season had only praise for Craig But really, is listing his high school wrestling record and abilities at college rugby credential him sufficiently for handling Sully and/or Hopkins? :tounge2:

Craig working side-by-side with Sully for 7 years speaks volumes, trust me. They started at B.K., moved on to The Colts. Sully asked for Craig to join him at the Cadets mid-summer this year since they do work so well together. I think he'll be good! :smile:

I'll put myself out there as someone who hopes Cadets refrain from early season videos as they have for the past few years.

I would much rather that they focus their energy on the show and blow everyone away with a beginning season June surprise.

• Like 3

Well, now aren't you the pot calling the kettle black.

I was referring to those who criticize the drum corps & organizations 24/7 which I do not.

the same folks that were decrying how "stale" Cadets had gotten in 2013/2014/2015 and now decrying "staff turnover"

the same folks who have said "Hopkins can't be program coordinator" haven't praised or frankly mentioned the move

Nope - instead they go to the next thing

"Hopkins is driving everyone away"

"rampant turnover"

"staff isn't "impressive""

Let's just face it - if Cadets get up at 7am and start working, folks will say they are working the kids to death

If they get up at 9am and start working - the same folks will say "the corps is unmotivated"

If they design a show with a ton of high speed drill - they are "movng for the sake of movement"

If they design a show with more staging and less drill - they "don't march like the Cadets anymore"

There a LOT of critics on this website. It's exhausting... For them - Hopkins and/or the Cadets can do no right.

I hear you and I feel for you Cadets loyalists. It is not a fun time to be a Cadets fan.

There are two aspects to this, and both are controllable by George:

1. Field a compelling show.

2. See #1.

George loves to draw attention to himself, he has always been this way and he will always be this way. I don't expect him to change, but when you put a target on your back at every turn you'd better bring the goods on the field.

Last season, Cadets started out three points behind Bluecoats, and finished a full five points out of medal contention. Cadets need to make their own headlines on the field, and when they again start doing that, people will shut their traps!

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 7

I was referring to those who criticize the drum corps & organizations 24/7 which I do not.

Of course you were. I knew exactly what you were talking about. So by your reasoning it is not ok to "criticize drum corps & organizations" but it is ok for you to criticize, bully, demean those that don't agree with you.

I hear you and I feel for you Cadets loyalists. It is not a fun time to be a Cadets fan.

2. See #1.

George loves to draw attention to himself, he has always been this way and he will always be this way. I don't expect him to change, but when you put a target on your back at every turn youd be better bring the goods on the field.

Last season, Cadets started out three points behind Bluecoats, and finished a full five points out of medal contention. Cadets need to make their own headlines on the field, and when they again start doing that, people will shut their traps!

. Get it done on the field and that will shut them up. Truth.
  • Like 6

2. See #1.

George loves to draw attention to himself, he has always been this way and he will always be this way. I don't expect him to change, but when you put a target on your back at every turn you'd better bring the goods on the field.

actually people were the same throughout the 2000's as well - moaned and complained even in medals years about this or that

wish I was as optimistic as you!

Of course you were. I knew exactly what you were talking about. So by your reasoning it is not ok to "criticize drum corps & organizations" but it is ok for you to criticize, bully, demean those that don't agree with you.

correct - although I've hardly been a "bully" but folks love throwing words around these days

I don't think folks need to lecture Hopkins on which FB page he should post something on. It's frankly petty.

There's an open position in YEA for a social media person - apply for it if you find that interesting and a big difference maker! That would be my suggestion :)

. Get it done on the field and that will shut them up. Truth.

it didn't in 2005 or 2011 or 2013 or 2007 - but we can always hold out hope I guess :)

• Like 1