Cadets 2017

This Jeremy guy definitely deserves some love. Coming into the Program Coordinator position, when the person who has declared himself Program Coordinator for the past 30 years is still there as your boss, and is *occasionally* known to micromanage and have strong opinions is as much a path filled with bear traps as one could imagine in drum corps.

He will need the well-wishes of all (and possibly several cases of booze). :grouphug::w00t::w00t::w00t:

I see what you did there...and I like it!

I'm not complaining about how he is, I am only stating it.

And don't paint me with the broad brush of "you guys." The whole world isn't allied against Cadets. Surely I am not.

I'm sorry, go read your post to which I just replied. Didn't you JUST do the exact same thing?

I'm honestly surprised there's so many people defending a guy who is a public figure and continuously tries to put himself in the spotlight. It comes with the territory, I'm sure George can take it. Not that I've personally really said much about this whole situation, but I do find it so crazy. I almost feel like I'm on a subreddit titled "George Hopkins' Luscious Hair" and any comment that has some sort of criticism on a public figure gets destroyed.

And I don't see why George can't be a lightning rod in addition to having other people stir the pot for him. I've only visited Hopkins' Facebook in the preseason when he has live videos and yet I'm able to see every single one of his ramblings on DCP with no effort taken by me to see it.

• Like 2

Which is what people were begging for all along - yet some people are still unhappy. Goes with the territory.

Obviously not speaking for anyone else, but my reasoning for staying quiet on the program coordinator change is due to my admitted current pessimism lack of optimism re: Hopkins.

This is clearly a much needed move, but I just need to see how it plays out during the season before I get too fired up about it. Hop has been holding the design reigns for quite some time. I'm reserving my judgement until I see how much he's indeed loosened his grip.

Hoping this comes across as more of a "realistic outlook" than a "negative" one. The other staff announcements have certainly walked me back from the ledge of Gino and Colin leaving, so I'm hopeful for 2017.

• Like 1

I'm honestly surprised there's so many people defending a guy who is a public figure and continuously tries to put himself in the spotlight. It comes with the territory, I'm sure George can take it. Not that I've personally really said much about this whole situation, but I do find it so crazy. I almost feel like I'm on a subreddit titled "George Hopkins' Luscious Hair" and any comment that has some sort of criticism on a public figure gets destroyed.

And I don't see why George can't be a lightning rod in addition to having other people stir the pot for him. I've only visited Hopkins' Facebook in the preseason when he has live videos and yet I'm able to see every single one of his ramblings on DCP with no effort taken by me to see it.

Thank you for saying exactly what I apparently didn't do a very good job of saying! If you hit the bee hive with a bat, you should expect to get stung, and we all know George fully expects to get stung! Edited by MikeRapp

This Jeremy guy definitely deserves some love. Coming into the Program Coordinator position, when the person who has declared himself Program Coordinator for the past 30 years is still there as your boss, and is *occasionally* known to micromanage and have strong opinions is as much a path filled with bear traps as one could imagine in drum corps.

Yeah, I hope that guy negotiated all kinds of autonomy in his agreement, otherwise at the first sign of, well, anything it's going to be The Hopkins Show.

I am glad that GH saw the writing on the wall, but I don't understand why we didn't end up with someone who has been through the Cadets. We have *by far* the deepest "bench" (alumni base who are educators - and great ones!) and we end up with a former "music coordinator" for Phantom and the Cavaliers. And no, no one asked for my opinion, and overall I guess I am satisfied that there is someone there to do the important job of designing the program.

As usual, the corps has 100% of my support, but I do think we'll struggle to put out a "Cadets quality" program this year as the team finds its footing. The battery is going to be ridiculous, regardless.

Obviously not speaking for anyone else, but my reasoning for staying quiet on the program coordinator change is due to my admitted current pessimism lack of optimism re: Hopkins.

This is clearly a much needed move, but I just need to see how it plays out during the season before I get too fired up about it. Hop has been holding the design reigns for quite some time. I'm reserving my judgement until I see how much he's indeed loosened his grip.

Hoping this comes across as more of a "realistic outlook" than a "negative" one. The other staff announcements have certainly walked me back from the ledge of Gino and Colin leaving, so I'm hopeful for 2017.

I feel the same way.

But if you guys know how he is, why continue complaining about it? What purpose does it serve? He's obviously gonna do what he wants regardless of what people has to say about it. The more surprising thing is given his history, how many people still come on the internet and gripe and complain about it.

But if you guys know how he is, why continue complaining about it? What purpose does it serve? He's obviously gonna do what he wants regardless of what people has to say about it. The more surprising thing is given his history, how many people still come on the internet and gripe and complain about it.

Because it's the boring offseason and Hopkins is giving us the content to fuel more conversation, and that's bound to include criticism along with positive information such as the Cadets hiring a separate program coordinator.

The purpose of the discussion board is to discuss, that's exactly what's happening, so I'm not sure what the complaint is. I'm curious whether your reaction would be the same if people came on a separate discussion forum meant to discuss politics and started making complaints about one of the presidential candidates. Yes, we should probably know the candidates have certain views and certain temperaments, but people will still complain regardless, yes?

• Like 1