Cadets 2017

5 hours ago, aLittleBird said:

I imagine ALWAYS being the corps that makes the next big innovation might be a little infeasible, and they aren't exactly a legacy corps.

The Cadets are not a legacy corps? I'm curious what you mean by that statement.

Who else noticed the Wilson football factory segment as part of the media fillers for the Superbowl on Sunday?  Photos included nice shots of Ada, Ohio where the factory is located and of the north side where the Cadets have been doing Spring Training a few weeks for recent seasons. 

If Wilson wants folks to test their product, Cadets has a full guard who are great at throwing things and even admins and DCP fans who are used to throwing other things. Well experienced all, ha, ha.:laughing:

9 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

For someone who pushes for so much change and innovation you sure can't see it in their past few shows...

I disagree. Even this past year the use of stationary featured soloists for the year (one being a violinist) was innovative and new to the activity. Now you can decide if it was successful or not. This year a "choir" of 8 vocalist woven into the entire program - yeah, that's new also

You can't reinvent the genre every year - obviously - and not everything goes as planned. The Cadets are still one of those corps offering up "new" most seasons IMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tesmusic said:

The Cadets are not a legacy corps? I'm curious what you mean by that statement.

He may be referring to the traditional "legacy fan" DCI insults from time to time. Those wanting "corps like when I marched" over new and innovative or cutting-edge

New food truck has arrived for Cadets and I am sure Tekk will be drooling.

The crisper for the arugula and pistachios will be amazing but no details will be forthcoming. Just honoring his own request as all DCPers know by now. :-P

https://yea.org/programs/cadets/cadets/news/1521-april-showers-bring-mayflowers-what-do-mayflowers-bring

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

I disagree. Even this past year the use of stationary featured soloists for the year (one being a violinist) was innovative and new to the activity. Now you can decide if it was successful or not. This year a "choir" of 8 vocalist woven into the entire program - yeah, that's new also

You can't reinvent the genre every year - obviously - and not everything goes as planned. The Cadets are still one of those corps offering up "new" most seasons IMO

Agreed. I think their innovations are more in the music area vs visual hence not always reflected in scoring. I always enjoyed Jay's weaving of different music together. Adagio comes to mind. Never really got competitive credit for some monsters shows 2013-15

• Like 3

14 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Point taken.  It's kinda hard to say what I'm thinking, I'm not saying reinvent the wheel every year but for as many changes as he pushes for and is obviously very passionate about (which is awesome) they always seem to be the one that doesn't take as full advantage in terms of implementation of them as other corps do.  I'm not saying they have to either because what do I know.  

More of an observation than a criticism.  I'm not trying to start a Hop bashing party I promise.  I'm very much looking forward to what they do in 2017 with some fresh blood being injected into them.  

(uh oh did I just hype???)

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DrumManTx said:

More of an observation than a criticism.  I'm not trying to start a Hop bashing party I promise.  I'm very much looking forward to what they do in 2017 with some fresh blood being injected into them.  

(uh oh did I just hype???)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, George Dixon said:

None of those things qualify as "new" to drum corps.

- Stationary soloists have been a staple in DCA for decades.  Quite sure that the Cadets organization, which now has a DCA entry, is aware of that.

- Featured "violin" soloist was done by Oregon Crusaders in 2014, and Columbians in 2013.  The instrument has made other cameo appearances in drum corps dating back to 2009 (PR).

- Colt Cadets integrated a choir into their show way back in 2004, the first year of amplification.  They even used eight vocalists. 

I am sure there is something Cadets have done recently that could be characterized as a "first" for drum corps - like the full concert French horn section features, or some aspects of prop/stage usage.  Someone else should have better luck identifying such things.