Cadets 2017

I saw last nights ensemble up to end of Almighy   Father. Brass is much fuller and stronger than a week ago and they seemed to have rewritten some phrases that I thought were coming across very weak and airy for lack of a better term. So good writing/performance adjustments noted. They also turned down volume of choir in key areas allowing percussion feature to shine and boy they do. They are parts of show that are much cleaner in fact "clean" but opening statement still needs cleaning especially guard. Brass is ahead of guard with set cleaning in fact all my criticisms are guard sets not brass. Brass have been working and cleaning drill and it's obvious. They seemed to have plugged in the brass holes and the two guard holes although they're still jumping in and out. 

Another strong day of rehearsal tomorrow and hoping for a notice from judges of adjustments.

• Like 2

In education, there is something known as "the horns/halo effect." If the student bombs the first test/assignment, the teacher most often does not give the student full credit for future ambiguous answers. However, if the student aces the first test/assignment, then for the same ambiguous answers, the teacher leans to give the student positive credit.

While we would like to think that judges are more objective, they are human. In judging clinics past, this horns/halo effect has been discussed. If one corps seems cluttered, they get negative marks. But let's say BD does something similar, then the judge might be prone to say, "O the designer planned it that way. Besides look at the rings they have won."

Spouting to everyone else that a corps is dirty doesn't fix even one tic

3 minutes ago, FTNK said:

I could hound the tubas about being clean on their body movement counts and pound them on dotbook tests. Put me in, coach

But some were already sent home for injuries.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I don't care who the judges are right now, got to get the ending in the field and start cleaning! Show is too dirty right now for 7/14

I agree George, time is running out and if they don't get their #### together quick it could get UGLY(placement wise) for the Cadets. No more excuses.

• Like 2

Just now, Ediker said:

Were some MMs injured?  I noticed a brass player at a recent show's warmup with a bleeding nose (apparently did not march that night).

I know one got a concussion when loading the truck and some equipment fell on him. Had to sit out a few shows and only observe practices for a few days.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Sorry FTNK, that ain't goin' to happen, but you can at least dream about it.

I was thinking more of the movie "Rudy" with the Notre Dame walk-on. I think he painted the gold on Cadets' shoes this year too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_(film)

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Like I haven't heard that a million times before! LOL!  

A nearby city is Joliet.  Let the hilarity ensue...

Both I heard make for a very fine hamlet.

• Like 2

What does a Cadets dotbook look like these days, anyway? When i marched we had a standardized PDF template that had to be filled out and used in a very specific way

I imagine the kids at Bluecoats are definitely using that system now :43_slight_frown: