Cadets 2017

5 hours ago, George Dixon said:

It is so funny how the cadets are appreciated in hindsight, crowd reaction and discussion forum conversation was very mixed in 2013

Hear the conversation circled around the props and the  guard 

I know what you mean.   Sometimes even the greatest shows seem even better after a period of time without seeing them.    I often am reminded of this long after the season is over, and then listening/watching a show I hadn't seen in awhile.  Perhaps it's because when I do go back and listen/watch a show, it's their finals run or something close to it.  Or, perhaps it's because you can enjoy the show for what it is, without all the competitive drama.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

Got it... Thanks! In 1983 there was a LOT of discussion about how much the battery played. We had staff members from other corps actually timing us with a watch to se how much "tacit" time we had. Almighty Father and Simple Song had the most extended period of tacit. Of course... no one else was running around with drums like we did that year but it did not help us with credit on the drum sheets (did help with GE and Music).

here's the ballad in 90 with the tacet; they put the battery instruments down and pick up the panels... 

• Like 1

91 they did a similar thing with the battery percussion during the ballad forming "vignettes" against white panels on the back sidelines

GREAT ballad - one of my favorite Cadet ballads ever

• Like 4

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

It's a fun show but content wise both Regiment and BK are higher. I feel Cadets have already surpassed them now that execution is improving and judges are still catching up 

Boston has a great show but the plume wiggling is odd and over done and the drill is forgettable much like those Crown drills 

I'm so excited for the Boston members though, and the organization. They have a very bright future and may yet finish higher than we think. Nothing is in stone for sure

show wise I would also put Cadets above Cavaliers but they simply must improve guard and percussion to push the GE over them and compete. About 1.5 point gap realistically right now

lete see how tonight goes

one day at a time

Will have to agree to disagree at this point regarding their show.  I'm really hoping a live viewing at DCI East will change my perspective, but I just cannot get into it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyt said:

Will have to agree to disagree at this point regarding their show.  I'm really hoping a live viewing at DCI East will change my perspective, but I just cannot get into it.

The cool thing is there are lots of different shows for all taste. I don't particularly love two of the top four shows but hey, such is life lol

it is a show much better live, hopefully you will like some aspects of it, the use of vocals is very unique and there's some cool staging and musical moments

27 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

91 they did a similar thing with the battery percussion during the ballad forming "vignettes" against white panels on the back sidelines

GREAT ballad - one of my favorite Cadet ballads ever

I bought the recordings in '91 for this and Star.  I think I wore them out.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

The cool thing is there are lots of different shows for all taste. I don't particularly love two of the top four shows but hey, such is life lol

it is a show much better live, hopefully you will like some aspects of it, the use of vocals is very unique and there's some cool staging and musical moments

Maybe.  

It's just not a concept/design that I find exciting or moving in any way.  The members seem to be getting behind it and performing, so great for them.  My indifference lies solely at the feet of the design team.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Maybe.  

It's just not a concept/design that I find exciting or moving in any way.  The members seem to be getting behind it and performing, so great for them.  My indifference lies solely at the feet of the design team.

I feel the same as you and many others.