Cadets 2017

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

That's actually a pretty interesting question. 

I'd assume the main draw now is the history and legacy behind the corps more than anything. 

A commendable motivation of which to be apart; however, is that enough (I'm assuming it is enough for those who are marching now)? Thinking from the inside, I would want people to look back on the years I marched and want to be apart of the legacy because of that as well. 

37 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

SCV well, what can I say, they're SCV. The name says it all. 

The Cadets are the Cadets. They have a reputation for winning and for a certain look and sound. I am sure that will still be there. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

You wanna know what I'm worried about? 

Back when I marched, many people went to BD for their brassline. Many people went to Cadets for their drill. SCV well, what can I say, they're SCV. The name says it all. But nowadays, what are Cadets known for? They lost their best drill writer, their best hornline caption head as well as their best brass arranger (of this era). What reputation will this season build for Cadets? I don't know, but I surely hope it brings back a great reputation. 

The staff that built the Cadets in the 80s are long gone. Peggy was replaced by April. Hannum by Aungst, Zingali by Sully then by Jeff. DVD by Gino. The Cadets whatever your opinion of them, are a breeding ground for talent. The Cadets alumni teaching other groups is staggering. This staff is fine. Give it time. There are other groups who will go through growing pains this year as Cadets did last year.

Just now, mcjordansc said:

The Cadets are the Cadets. They have a reputation for winning and for a certain look and sound. I am sure that will still be there. 

You're absolutely correct about that, and that can never be taken away. However, in the present state of drum corps, I don't think just having a reputation for winning (given they haven't won in 5 years), and having a certain "look and sound"(especially since that look is pretty much gone, as well as that certain sound), is enough to continue to draw top-notch talent. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

You wanna know what I'm worried about? 

Back when I marched, many people went to BD for their brassline. Many people went to Cadets for their drill. SCV well, what can I say, they're SCV. The name says it all. But nowadays, what are Cadets known for? They lost their best drill writer, their best hornline caption head as well as their best brass arranger (of this era). What reputation will this season build for Cadets? I don't know, but I surely hope it brings back a great reputation. 

Overly expectant alumni and fans?

Placement and scores matter, I get it but there’s a lot of pressure in this thread

I’m curious to see if Hopkins can still be relevant with regards to design. Minus a few exceptions, I’ve felt he’s been stale for the past decade.  He’s not good at playing catch up, he needs to figure out his own thing. Maybe this will be it?

I just want a cool show that doesn’t make me cringe.

• Like 2

Just now, cowtown said:

Placement and scores matter, I get it but there’s a lot of pressure in this thread

I’m curious to see if Hopkins can still be relevant with regards to design. Minus a few exceptions, I’ve felt he’s been stale for the past decade.  He’s not good at playing catch up, he needs to figure out his own thing. Maybe this will be it?

Probably, but given the reputation they've built, I think many alumni and fans SHOULD expect better from them. 

Just now, 2000Cadet said:

You're absolutely correct about that, and that can never be taken away. However, in the present state of drum corps, I don't think just having a reputation for winning (given they haven't won in 5 years), and having a certain "look and sound"(especially since that look is pretty much gone, as well as that certain sound), is enough to continue to draw top-notch talent. 

That is what Jeff Bezos calls Day 2. “Day 2 is stasis. Followed by irrelevance. Followed by excruciating, painful decline. Followed by death. And that is why it is always Day 1.” If an organization responds quickly to the adversity thy experience, they can move forward and stay relevant. The people who left after last summer helped deliver a show that was not up to the standards of a championship drum corps show these days. Change can be good. It brings in fresh thinking, a new creative dynamic, and often leads to greater success. We will see what happens with the Cadets. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Agreed

1 minute ago, mcjordansc said:

That is what Jeff Bezos calls Day 2. “Day 2 is stasis. Followed by irrelevance. Followed by excruciating, painful decline. Followed by death. And that is why it is always Day 1.” If an organization responds quickly to the adversity thy experience, they can move forward and stay relevant. The people who left after last summer helped deliver a show that was not up to the standards of a championship drum corps show these days. Change can be good. It brings in fresh thinking, a new creative dynamic, and often leads to greater success. We will see what happens with the Cadets. 

Fabulous post!