Cadets 2017

2 hours ago, cadet93 said:

The end of the second part is almost unwatchable/listenable for me.....I feel it can be changed quickly, but ouch its bad.

that's the specific segment that Hopkins has mentioned they will be changing... and he said "it's an easy fix"

the other segment is where the corps is down front during the music bridge leading into part 3 and they are "shedding" the jackets over the final uniform.. that is supposedly being reworked and according to the comment is not quite as quick a change they want to make

it does seem like they have a clear vision they are trying to head toward - vs. last season where it was obvious things weren't cohesive and thought-thru 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Is it bad that I can honestly believe that the entire meaning behind the work was lost on the design team?

They've approached it as though Bernstein just wrote a score and some lyrics to a typical Sunday mass and took it at face value.  Robes, stained glass, bibles, pews, fire and brimstone preachers...

All of the imagery and ambience.  None of the irony.

yeah -no. They literally worked with the Bernstein foundation to ensure the "vision" of the score will be realized. Give it a couple weeks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yeah -no. They literally worked with the Bernstein foundation to ensure the "vision" of the score will be realized. Give it a couple weeks.

Hope so.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, monoemono said:

Will there be a triple-reverse z-pull? :biggrin: I think it's triple, I can't remember what variation we're due for in a Bernstein show at present.

well we had the z-pull, we've had the double z-pull and we've had the "S" pull in 90. So... I believe we are due for side-by-side triple lutz?

• Like 1

yup - right now it isn't getting across

and I agree - too literal

Here's why I'm skeptical, George.  The title of the show is The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven.  There's no irony there.  It's the classic Christian story of sinning and redemption.  There's nothing ironic in the story line that they're portraying...

... but they're using a source that does in fact poke and prod at the idea of "Mass".

There just seems to be a big disconnect between what the Cadets are doing and what the source intended.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chaddyt said:

Here's why I'm skeptical, George.  The title of the show is The Faithful, The Fallen, The Forgiven.  There's no irony there.  It's the classic Christian story of sinning and redemption.  There's nothing ironic in the story line that they're portraying...

... but they're using a source that does in fact poke and prod at the idea of "Mass".

There just seems to be a big disconnect between what the Cadets are doing and what the source intended.

Yeah I got a weird vibe about what they were trying to portray and what the story was but then again there's more show to be learned so we shall see.

7 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

well apparently the Bernstein Foundation is quite comfortable with the approach 

• Like 1

well apparently the Bernstein Foundation is quite comfortable with the approach 

Well good.  

• Like 1

People gotta also remember, and I'm a little guilty of this too:  They don't have the ending on the field yet, and they're still close to the top group.

No idea if it will help, but their show was short yesterday night, so I would guess that a full show will improve the scores.

• Like 1