Cadets 2017

5 hours ago, henry7184 said:

Because if you go by recent history, it doesn't bode well for the Cadets passing anyone up during the season. The last season they beat corps that beat them at one point during the season was 2011. For the past 5 seasons, they have been passed up by 1 or more corps to finish lower than where they started. It's a recent trend. It will obviously be broken at some point, but I don't think this year will be the year.

2012 - Cadets beat both Crown and Regiment at the first show of the season (Regiment more than the first show), and finished behind them at finals (2.5 down from Crown and 1.5 down from Regiment).

2013 - Cadets start out undefeated in the east (due to the absence of Crown). They beat both Crown and BD mid- to late-July and finish 3rd (more than a point down from both, and only 0.05 ahead of SCV, a corps they beat by over 2 points mid-July).

2014 - Beat Bluecoats by 3.25 at the first show of the season, and lose to Bluecoats by 0.3 at finals.

2015 - Beat everyone at DCI Minnesota and DCI Southwestern, finish 4th at finals.

2016 - Beat Cavies by 2.6 at the end of June and finish 1.3 behind at finals. Also beat Santa Clara three times but finished 2.3 behind them at finals.

So, if you're going to argue the Cadets are only 4 points down from Bluecoats and are going to clean up and close the gap, history doesn't support that argument. At least recent history. I do not believe they will be top 6 come finals, but that's my opinion.

And Bluecoats design was hands down the best last night. They will contend for another title for sure. It was absolutely fresh, innovative, and I believe it to be a better vehicle than last year. It was nothing short of remarkable. Absolutely astounding.

I believe the above "trends" are irrelevant to this year's corps.  

I also disagree with the opinion that Bloo's show is better or more innovative than last year.  

I actually think there's innovation with the Cadets this year.  Perhaps it is being lost in all the dirt that is currently present.  

• Like 2

Man why do adults spend so much time on websites trying to prove their point about how bad some youth groups show is this year or that year. So odd. 

Stay positive!

July 8th is when we will know much more

they will have had plenty of rehearsal days to do enough cleaning to see really how effective the basic big picture show can be 

the ending will be debuted 

the choir shouldn't be phasing with the pit and corps by then 

By then will Cadets seem to be closing that initial 1.8 point gap with the Crown/Cavaliers/SCV apparent cluster or will they be closer to really competitive with Boston/BK ish group

i think the group right agreed of them but we will know shortly 

imo they will finish 6-4 with a very outside shot at 3

but we will know shortly

plenty of topics to discuss right now other than their potential this summer

guard looks improved 

how about that initial drum score?

etc.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tommeee said:

I also disagree with the opinion that Bloo's show is better or more innovative than last year.  

I actually think there's innovation with the Cadets this year.  Perhaps it is being lost in all the dirt that is currently present.  

Remains to be seen how far they will progress this year, but looking at the last year Cadets were on the podium (2014)....that's an outlier on the list. That corps placed no lower than 2nd in any show until Sat night at finals, and were actually 1.1 up on Bluecoats after Prelims....even with the immense fan popularity of Tilt and the relative dislike for the huge stage and narration. 

3 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

My prediction: they win 1st or 2nd in drums tonight.

Yeah that's the odd sub score from Thursday, a score as expected in percussion would have helped move them much closer to the top group. Tonight is full panel. Wish Cadets would have had a full day outside yesterday, crazy rain. They really needed their visual outdoor blocks. They will get them today. Ensemble needs to avoid the choir to corps and pit to percussion tears from Thursday 

• Like 1

Don't let your obsession with placement detract from what you've been waiting a long 45 weeks for:  another glorious drum corps summer. All new music and moments you will come back to for years and years. That's what I need - new awesome music for my listening bliss. 

• Like 8

Boston gets added to the mix tonight.  Should be interesting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Don't let your obsession with placement detract from what you've been waiting a long 45 weeks for:  another glorious drum corps summer. All new music and moments you will come back to for years and years. That's what I need - new awesome music for my listening bliss. 

Great point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Man why do adults spend so much time on websites trying to prove their point about how bad some youth groups show is this year or that year. So odd. 

Stay positive!

July 8th is when we will know much more

they will have had plenty of rehearsal days to do enough cleaning to see really how effective the basic big picture show can be 

the ending will be debuted 

the choir shouldn't be phasing with the pit and corps by then 

By then will Cadets seem to be closing that initial 1.8 point gap with the Crown/Cavaliers/SCV apparent cluster or will they be closer to really competitive with Boston/BK ish group

i think the group right agreed of them but we will know shortly 

imo they will finish 6-4 with a very outside shot at 3

but we will know shortly

plenty of topics to discuss right now other than their potential this summer

guard looks improved 

how about that initial drum score?

etc.

You are such a hypocrite. I've seen your posts on the prediction thread, "Boston will NOT beat Regiment, Cadets, Blue Stars and Blue Knights." Same I've been saying here about the Cadets. "Boston doesn't have the content." So stop attacking me for saying the same things about the Cadets that you've been saying about Boston. 

And, I never said the Cadets show was "bad" I said I felt there are some serious design issues that will prevent them from being as competitively successful as in the past.

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tommeee said:

They are more meaningful than those saying, "It's only 4 points" or "Boston will NOT beat Cadets" or "they will pass up Crown" by such and such. Sorry I'm stating facts instead of blind hypotheses.