Cadets 2017

I see Whitacre being a better fit for SCV, honestly. Calm, stately but still wondrous, etc.

I kinda want to see Cadets do another flight show. Along the lines of '92, but different music. Off the top of my head, Mackey's "Turbine" (because Cadets have trombones and use them well and I want to hear those smears on a drum corps field now that you can use trombones), and "1000 Airplanes on the Roof." And since George is a United guy, throw "Rhapsody in Blue" in, too.

...this is not my most well-thought-out show idea. Let me go digging through some of my DCPI stuff (though much of that is things corps have done before, unfortunately--and the stuff that isn't definitely doesn't fit Cadets, e.g. Mars Volta).

Since you brought up Rhapsody in Blue.

To me I think what a corps like Cadets would do well with right now is something like Phantom 2005. When I first heard about that show, and fromw hat I have read on here about the response at the time, was why the hell is Phantom playing George Gershwin? I had that reaction with Cadets in 2016 with the John Mackey, but it didn't really feel like they ever fully committed to the parts of that show that were more adventurous for Cadets. But then how Phantom presented it was so Phantom, even if that thematic/musical choice was not Phantom at all. The music and theme were not really what I'd expect Phantom to do, but how they presented it was so Phantom.

I guess something really unexpected, commit to it, and just do it like The Cadets. If any of that makes sense.

• Like 1

To me I think what a corps like Cadets would do well with right now is something like Phantom 2005. When I first heard about that show, and fromw hat I have read on here about the response at the time, was why the hell is Phantom playing George Gershwin? I had that reaction with Cadets in 2016 with the John Mackey, but it didn't really feel like they ever fully committed to the parts of that show that were more adventurous for Cadets. But then how Phantom presented it was so Phantom, even if that thematic/musical choice was not Phantom at all. The music and theme were not really what I'd expect Phantom to do, but how they presented it was so Phantom.

I guess something really unexpected, commit to it, and just do it like The Cadets. If any of that makes sense.

thing is -- if the rumors be true -- im not sure it makes sense to think that way.

turn the page. cadets core value = pushing boundaries. they've gotten far away from that. reboot!

thing is -- if the rumors be true -- im not sure it makes sense to think that way.

turn the page. cadets core value = pushing boundaries. they've gotten far away from that. reboot!

Yeah as soon as I hit post I thought maybe if it was 2015........but technically none of that has happened yet soooooo. lol

Makes sense to me.

Something like their 2005 show, actually. Not things you'd expect from them (original pieces based off of Eric Whitacre and "Medea?" A Bernard Hermann cue that Tarantino lifted? Bjork? A literal talking drum break?!?!?!?

But it worked. Very, very well, really.

Sounds like time for more crowdsourcing.

• Like 1

That'd be cool for a corps to commission something, come up with the general frame work and then the corps arrangers just do the drum corps adaptations. And yes to Phillip Sparke.

<3

Funny you should mention that. If you listen to the latest DCI Field Pass, Dan Potter interviews John Mackey, who basically says "hey Bluecoats, you guys are awesome. Call me!"