Cadets 2017

47 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

Just rewatched that show...awesome!! Narration done perfectly, served the show very well and not only was needed, but added a ton of depth. Very emotional show...forgot just how dang good it was. Would love to see more shows connect with people on a personal/emotional level. 

One of my all time favorite shows. And such a risk thematically. In some years that show would have medaled. If somehow BK can do more of that, look out.

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

One of my all time favorite shows. And such a risk thematically. In some years that show would have medaled. If somehow BK can do more of that, look out.

Mine too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Some great dialogue here, and I agree. I would like this show 10000% more if the narration was axed and the choir just sang instead and let the visual program do the talking 

I might even move the choir to the field, make it more of a central, moving prop idea. I hate singing in dci as well, but for this concept a choir is almost mandatory if you are going to do a literal interpretation of Mass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

As I understand it, they are removing the references because some found mentioning Jesus offensive, not to simplify the show. Just saying, wouldn't you think about this before deciding to do an entire show based on the Catholic mass?

Trust me; this staff has no idea what the Mass is much less entails. They're trying to play church without the required knowledge. Want proof? There are Egyptian ankhs on the unis. That's just one detail of a thousand I could nitpick. I would actually prefer the removal of every Christian reference in this show because they've done such a poor job in design to represent it accurately. From the windows to the positioning of the pews to the paraments to the altar cross to the positioning of the pit to the positioning and role of the Celebrant and his responsibility in the Mass it's obvious the waters are too deep for this team concerning this subject. The real shame is I haven't seen one Catholic try to make them understand how badly the Mass is represented regardless of the source material.

• Like 4

The ankh cross is a really, really bad screw up, I agree. It's the antithesis of the idea. Yet another reason we should stay away from religious themes in drum corps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wallace said:

Trust me; this staff has no idea what the Mass is much less entails. They're trying to play church without the required knowledge. Want proof? There are Egyptian ankhs on the unis. That's just one detail of a thousand I could nitpick. I would actually prefer the removal of every Christian reference in this show because they've done such a poor job in design to represent it accurately. From the windows to the positioning of the pews to the paraments to the altar cross to the positioning of the pit to the positioning and role of the Celebrant and his responsibility in the Mass it's obvious the waters are too deep for this team concerning this subject. The real shame is I haven't seen one Catholic try to make them understand how badly the Mass is represented regardless of the source material.

I thought it was a 13 minute presentation of "Mass", the Bernstein show...not "a Mass". 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, wallace said:

Got this from the Ancient History Encycolpedia...take it for what it's worth.

The ankh's association with the afterlife made it an especially potent symbol for the Coptic Christians of Egypt in the 4th century CE who took it as their own. This use of the ankh as a symbol of Christ's promise of everlasting life through belief in his sacrifice and resurrection is most probably the origin of the Christian use of the cross as a symbol of faith today. The early Christians of Rome and elsewhere used the fertility symbol of the fish as a sign of their faith. They would not have considered using the image of the cross, a well-known form of execution, any more than someone today would choose to wear an amulet of an electric chair. The ankh, already established as a symbol of eternal life, leant itself easily to assimilation into the early Christian faith and continued as that religion's symbol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

Got this from the Ancient History Encycolpedia...take it for what it's worth.

The ankh's association with the afterlife made it an especially potent symbol for the Coptic Christians of Egypt in the 4th century CE who took it as their own. This use of the ankh as a symbol of Christ's promise of everlasting life through belief in his sacrifice and resurrection is most probably the origin of the Christian use of the cross as a symbol of faith today. The early Christians of Rome and elsewhere used the fertility symbol of the fish as a sign of their faith. They would not have considered using the image of the cross, a well-known form of execution, any more than someone today would choose to wear an amulet of an electric chair. The ankh, already established as a symbol of eternal life, leant itself easily to assimilation into the early Christian faith and continued as that religion's symbol.

It's not used in the Catholic Mass, and it's seen as a pagan symbol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kkpjm16 said:

I thought it was a 13 minute presentation of "Mass", the Bernstein show...not "a Mass". 

Even Bernstein's version resembled the Mass and showed a modicum of respect to the meaning of the liturgy. This show does not. It resembles a very poor representation of a holy  roller church in Backwater, USA.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The ankh cross is a really, really bad screw up, I agree. It's the antithesis of the idea. Yet another reason we should stay away from religious themes in drum corps.

I have found myself puzzled about the use of it. Originally I thought they were applying it in place of a traditional cross to represent more a "universal life" idea than one particular faith/religion. But then they have regular crosses elsewhere and have just unveiled Cross Overload on the props in the back, so I remain puzzled.