Cadets 2017

20 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

As I understand it, they are removing the references because some found mentioning Jesus offensive, not to simplify the show. Just saying, wouldn't you think about this before deciding to do an entire show based on the Catholic mass?

The use of the some or all of the narration is certainly a judgement call - just as everything else in the hours long composition they are pulling from to create a 13 minute drum corps show

I think what we are discovering is things that seem "theatrical" and appropriate in a theater/concert hall setting come across as unexpected and out of place in a football stadium setting. Being "preached to" at a drum corps show isn't the intent. So they are editing the role of the "celebrant" down to the necessary bits and removing things that seem overly preachy or divisive. Keeping things more approachable and general 

I personally think less narration is better. So let us pray. Instead of let us pray... Let us Pray!!!!!!!!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

How was mentioning Jesus making it hard for people to connect with a show...about Jesus?

because there are people in the world who are offended by many things/most things/all things overtly religious or of a certain religious faith that differs from their own belief system

I don't get it either - and I'm non religious but have always believed "to each their own"

• Like 2

Just now, George Dixon said:

The use of the some or all of the narration is certainly a judgement call - just as everything else in the hours long composition they are pulling from to create a 13 minute drum corps show

I think what we are discovering is things that seem "theatrical" and appropriate in a theater/concert hall setting come across as unexpected and out of place in a football stadium setting. Being "preached to" at a drum corps show isn't the intent. So they are editing the role of the "celebrant" down to the necessary bits and removing things that seem overly preachy or divisive. Keeping things more approachable and general 

I personally think less narration is better. So let us pray. Instead of let us pray... Let us Pray!!!!!!!!

Could not agree more. I generally hate narration in a drum corps show. Other rare times I can tolerate it. Here, it seems heavy handed and very literal. But given that the subject matter is, fundamentally, a literal concept focused entirely on the catholic mass, isn't that something that perhaps should have been vetted when they considered this topic as a potential show idea?

Politics and religion, two ideas that are not to be a part of Thanksgiving table conversation...and I would suggest drum corps shows. Which is why I did not like Cavaliers last year. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

because there are people in the world who are offended by many things/most things/all things overtly religious or of a certain religious faith that differs from their own belief system

I don't get it either - and I'm non religious but have always believed "to each their own"

With all due respect George, I don't think this is about people being offended (although there are certainly people out there who get offended by lots of things, real and imagined).  I think the question is whether imagery is enough, or whether you need to emphasize it with the literal as well.  Personally, I think the imagery is sufficiently communicative that adding the literal is unnecessary - is there anyone who can watch that show an not understand what they are talking about?  And that's the reason I would tone down the narration.

Edited by Icer
typo
  • Like 2

Just now, Icer said:

With all due respect George, I don't think this is about people being offended (although there are certainly people out there who get offended by lots of things, real and imagined).  I think the question is whether imagery is enough, or whether you need to emphasize it with the literal as well.  Personally, I think the imagery is sufficiently communicative that adding the literal is unnecessary - is there anyone who can watch that show an not understand what they are talking about.  And that's the reason I would tone down the narration.

Personally I don't think the narration is necessary AT ALL in their production

I like the choir and between all the visual stuff, as you note, it is very obvious what is going on

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Icer said:

With all due respect George, I don't think this is about people being offended (although there are certainly people out there who get offended by lots of things, real and imagined).  I think the question is whether imagery is enough, or whether you need to emphasize it with the literal as well.  Personally, I think the imagery is sufficiently communicative that adding the literal is unnecessary - is there anyone who can watch that show an not understand what they are talking about?  And that's the reason I would tone down the narration.

Again, I would suggest corps should avoid any concepts that require narration, and then only add it if it adds to the idea. Same with singing. I know this is not a popular suggestion with the band world right now, but if you need narration so people understand what you are saying, then perhaps you are not doing a very good job in show design.

Blue Knights' That One Second is a great example of a show that needed a narrator and it was brilliant. For me that show was a rare exception. Again, jmho.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 6

47 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

Again, I would suggest corps should avoid any concepts that require narration, and then only add it if it adds to the idea. Same with singing. I know this is not a popular suggestion with the band world right now, but if you need narration so people understand what you are saying, then perhaps you are not doing a very good job in show design.

Blue Knights' That One Second is a great example of a show that needed a narrator and it was brilliant. For me that show was a rare exception. Again, jmho.

Just rewatched that show...awesome!! Narration done perfectly, served the show very well and not only was needed, but added a ton of depth. Very emotional show...forgot just how dang good it was. Would love to see more shows connect with people on a personal/emotional level. 

Edited by JKT90

Some great dialogue here, and I agree. I would like this show 10000% more if the narration was axed and the choir just sang instead and let the visual program do the talking 

• Like 1