Cadets 2017

43 minutes ago, wallace said:

The real shame is I haven't seen one Catholic try to make them understand how badly the Mass is represented regardless of the source material.

You know the original piece was written by a Jewish composer and the lyrics are by a Jewish writer, right? It wasn't designed to be a literal Catholic mass.

• Like 5

here we go again!

And Boston can burn a witch and everyone thinks it is awesome!

Geez.  How about go complain about that for a while... Boston 2017 thread!

• Like 6

Just now, Slingerland said:

You know the original piece was written by a Jewish composer and the lyrics are by a Jewish writer, right? It wasn't designed to be a literal Catholic mass.

or pro religion - far from it!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

here we go again!

This!

15 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

Sigh... It was commissioned by JOK, and the piece is based upon the Tridentine Mass of the RCC. The TLM used to be the most widely used Catholic liturgy in the world. Even satirical pieces resemble the subjects they mock, so the satire can be understood. 

I'm growing weary of the 'cause it's Bernstein excuse like LB wasn't savvy about the traditions of a subject of one of his compositions. The reason Mass is considered sacrilegious is because how the Eucharist is handled. Catholics believe the Body and Blood is consecrated "in persona Christi." When the tabernacle is thrown across the stage it is the same as physically attacking God.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

here we go again!

I don't think their show is particularly awesome either. It's historically inaccurate as well.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NakedEye said:

I have found myself puzzled about the use of it. Originally I thought they were applying it in place of a traditional cross to represent more a "universal life" idea than one particular faith/religion. But then they have regular crosses elsewhere and have just unveiled Cross Overload on the props in the back, so I remain puzzled. 

Yes, the ankh has been appropriated by the New Age Movement. It's another good reason it shouldn't have been used.

Edited by wallace
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, wallace said:

I don't think their show is particularly awesome either. It's historically inaccurate as well.

A marching show is historically inaccurate? Paralysis by analysis...

• Like 1