Petition for Michael Gaines to return to dci

I really liked bluecoats show this year, but I worry that they may have changed the game in a way in which 'drill' becomes less important, and it becomes more about staging.

I feel that it has been becoming less important in recent years anyhow, with more corps choosing to represent many musical moments with body movement rather than marching. This was a great season in dci, but when it comes to drill design, there weren't those 'wow' moments that we got in 90's/00's. I really miss that!

It is asinine that the HANDS DOWN best in the business, Michael Gaines, is not designing for an ensemble in 'marching musics major league'. DCI needs him back! He can show us that cool drill is still relevant, and bring back those 'wow' visual moments! I would be ecstatic if he went back to the cavaliers, but I will take him with any corps now.

Seriously Michael Gaines, we deserve to see the best. Come back to DCI!

Sign (comment) if you agree... or just to discuss

• Like 1

I really liked bluecoats show this year, but I worry that they may have changed the game in a way in which 'drill' becomes less important, and it becomes more about staging.

I feel that it has been becoming less important in recent years anyhow, with more corps choosing to represent many musical moments with body movement rather than marching. This was a great season in dci, but when it comes to drill design, there weren't those 'wow' moments that we got in 90's/00's. I really miss that!

It is asinine that the HANDS DOWN best in the business, Michael Gaines, is not designing for an ensemble in 'marching musics major league'. DCI needs him back! He can show us that cool drill is still relevant, and bring back those 'wow' visual moments! I would be ecstatic if he went back to the cavaliers, but I will take him with any corps now.

Seriously Michael Gaines, we deserve to see the best. Come back to DCI!

Sign (comment) if you agree... or just to discuss

And what makes you think he wouldnt design for todays activity and that he wouldnt be moving on from those glory days . Maybe even explore more than what he was famous for.

just sayin

Edited by GUARDLING

I would love for him to come back. But he was vocal against judges in drill, so maybe that is his holdout.

I honestly don't care if he comes back. My boys have seemed to finally move on, and I'd rather not see him at another group.

Edit: I just talked myself in a 180, I'm tired from this weekend still. A good problem to have.

Edited by littlejaw
  • Like 1

funny someone should mention Michael Gaines today, as i was just talking about his great visual designs he created for the cavaliers earlier today with someone.

I feel as though staging has been important ever since GE has been the most important judging section. Its essentially all about staging. And when i describe a show as being "well staged" i use that synonymously with having a good/great visual design.

Its just how the activity is. Its been like that for a while, i would say even when Gaines was there. Staging is more than just dance inspired body movements and props.

Vanguard seems to really carry the torch right now for having intricate and tight drill maneuvers, and i would also describe the show as being well staged. Crossmen had their moments this year too. I don't think its a one or the other situation.

It would be nice for him to come back because the activity could use some more diversity, i suppose.

I fear that drill will continue its slow death spiral as DCI goes more the way of WGI, though there were a few corps this year still carrying the torch to some degree.

What is Gaines even up to these days? I haven't followed his whereabouts since he left the Cavies. Hard to imagine he would want to reinsert himself into the activity as it currently stands, but who knows.

I fear that drill will continue its slow death spiral as DCI goes more the way of WGI, though there were a few corps this year still carrying the torch to some degree.

What is Gaines even up to these days? I haven't followed his whereabouts since he left the Cavies. Hard to imagine he would want to reinsert himself into the activity as it currently stands, but who knows.

He does WGI.

(Boy does that torpedo your argument)

• Like 6

He does WGI.

(Boy does that torpedo your argument)

I'm not sure how exactly? I said that DCI is going the way of WGI, but that doesn't mean that someone of Gaines' quality can't see both activities for what they uniquely are and write/design accordingly.

• Like 1

Cleveland1 NAILED it. It seems like to people on here,

Drill: When performers execute synchronized visual maneuvers, whether organic or geometric, with integrated body, and I like it.

Staging: When performers execute synchronized visual maneuvers, whether organic or geometric, with integrated body, and I don't like it.

Guys, "staging" has always been paramount. Being drawn to look at the most important thing happening on the field is CRUCIAL to any visual performing art. Bluecoats' visual design is jut a great visual designer responding to the shape of the arena they chose to create this year. Michael's designs for Cavaliers did the exact same thing.

To my eye, there were tons of WOW moments in the drill this year. Many groups had multiple! I doubt it's ever going to return to the 90's where everything stops for a box rotation, though. Every effect is definitely more layered and integrated.

• Like 2