Petition for Michael Gaines to return to dci

Let's not forget that Bluecoats literally had 3D drill in their show. This is a new frontier for drum corps and it makes sense that the Gaines-type drill will take a backseat as they figure it out.

I loved what Bluecoats did.. really creative... but am I the only one who thought that by the end of the show the sliding on the ramps sorta lost it's cool factor? I think Gaines style drill still has it's wow effect and would work. We need more of that IMO

Edited by dcibrando
  • Like 2

I loved what Bluecoats did.. really creative... but am I the only one who thought that by the end of the show the sliding on the ramps sorta lost it's cool factor? I think Gaines style drill still has it's wow effect and would work. We need more of that IMO

It's sort of a dam*ed if you do, dam*ed if you don't situation - on the hand they could use the ramps once and then people would say their inclusion would be pointless for most of the show. I personally think they used them enough without going into putting them all together and having 150 members go all slip n slide with background music territory.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what this posting is about. Is this a passe critique of the Bluecoats? Staging has been part of DCI for years. From Cadets in 2006 to BD in 2014. Gaines is suppose to save us from further staging? Where is the petition?

Edited by afd

I'm not sure what this posting is about. Is this a passe critique of the Bluecoats? Staging has been part of DCI for years. From Cadets in 2006 to BD in 2014. Gaines is suppose to save us from further staging? Where is the petition?

I feel so old that 2006 was as far as you went back.

I think if Michael came back, he would be writing 'staging' type drill. His drill/staging for WGI has moved on a ton since the days of drill like Escapade (his own guard in the 90s) did. Just take a look at Pride of Cincinnati who won WGI (and was staged by Michael).

Michael also writes a bunch of BOA drill (such as Carmel) these days - where I suspect he gets paid an awful lot more than he would at DCI!

I realize he is a master stager as well, he wouldn't be the great visual designer if he weren't.

But, I know we'd see some amazing drill from him as well.

There is no guarantee that if he was back that his designs would be anything like what he previous did either, but I'm also confident that if he wanted to play the game differently now, he would do so in a really great way. Maybe beyond what the bluecoats did this year.

There is no literal petition. I just made this post to say I want to see his designs in DCI again, and to see if others do too. Don't take it too seriously or literally :).

I think if Michael came back, he would be writing 'staging' type drill. His drill/staging for WGI has moved on a ton since the days of drill like Escapade (his own guard in the 90s) did. Just take a look at Pride of Cincinnati who won WGI (and was staged by Michael).

Michael also writes a bunch of BOA drill (such as Carmel) these days - where I suspect he gets paid an awful lot more than he would at DCI!

Yes. I would imagine if M. Gaines came back to DCI , he would not replicate a style of visual writing that he wrote 10-20 years ago.

Edited by BRASSO

I feel so old that 2006 was as far as you went back.

I really just wanted to go that far back because most people don't know about "staging in the 80's". Hello...remember the Skyryders in 1987? or was that 88. The Wizard of Oz show.