The Cavaliers 2017

7 hours ago, oldbandguy said:

It is DCI that dictates if it will be a 5 or 8 man panels.  Local shows have no say.  DCI has been doing this for a few years and yes...to save money.  This is something the directors of the DCI corps approved.  It is only for the first part of the tour when many corps are still putting the finishing touches to their shows.

The 5 man panels always have 2 GE, the Music Analysis, the Visual Analysis plus 1 of the following Color Guard, Brass, or Percussion.

The major shows (like some of the regionals and Indy) add 2 more GE judges and 1 more percussion.

Are you sure about this? Don't the west coast shows have full panels anyways because they choose to pay to the extra judges?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

We need to talk brass impact -- or lack thereof.  I was at the Hamilton competition last night and while The Cavaliers' brass line was tight and accurate, it wasn't very exciting.  Let's hope the volume gets turned up as the season progresses.  

They have Freddy Martin and he can get them to turn up the white heat at anytime they see the corps ready.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

We need to talk brass impact -- or lack thereof.  I was at the Hamilton competition last night and while The Cavaliers' brass line was tight and accurate, it wasn't very exciting.  Let's hope the volume gets turned up as the season progresses.  

Not disagreeing. But I do know they take the quality of playing first then add the volume later. If you watch rehearsals they approach it the the same way.  Did this last year and the volume was pretty loud during finals. Will they ever be Crown loud? Of course not. 

Edited by GREENBLUE

7 hours ago, GREENBLUE said:

Not disagreeing. But I do know they take the quality of playing first then add the volume later. If you watch rehearsals they approach it the the same way.  Did this last year and the volume was pretty loud during finals. Will they ever be Crown loud? Of course not. 

Exactly. They are known to do that... I actually agree with that. One year I worked with my high school during summer band and I was teaching the saxophone/low woodwinds balance. They were all over the place... granted some staff members did not agree with me, those kids thanked me for helping out with their confidence.