Carolina Crown 2017

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

To be fair, the Cadets oriented the towers in a way (diagonally and straight down the field) that made finding mistakes very easy. BD's towers were arranged in a way that made mistakes (and there were plenty) easier to hide. But I agree the Cadets were beat up more than they deserved on those towers 

Probably didn't affect their ranking that year but  agreed, score wide, they hammered them in the inanimate objects and didn't credit them on the overall production. Stellar music and very strong everything else but time to move on. 

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

To be fair, the Cadets oriented the towers in a way (diagonally and straight down the field) that made finding mistakes very easy. BD's towers were arranged in a way that made mistakes (and there were plenty) easier to hide. But I agree the Cadets were beat up more than they deserved on those towers 

Then SCV uses towers in that 2015 show...and I think they built them in a way that made them easier to maneuver perhaps? That was an excellent show and the effect worked very well. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Good grief.

It was not "brilliant in every single way" and they did not take a break from "whiplash style" for a year (look at the Medea section) 

Yes - muscially they were the best, score fantastic and the percussion incredible. But the guard / color scheme / flat ending were not "brilliant"

Cadets "could" have placed 4-5 last year and people would have been less critical but when you're changing design all season, the message is "we don't know what we're doing" kind of throws a wrench into things and judges certainly start to hammer them across the board. (Brass and percussion scores even suffered). 

3 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Probably didn't affect their ranking that year but  agreed, score wide, they hammered them in the inanimate objects and didn't credit them on the overall production. Stellar music and very strong everything else but time to move on. 

Jeff wrote amazing drill that year. Crown is lucky to have him. 

7 minutes ago, auldschool said:

His placement of the towers was not "amazing" - way too exposed, even during the transitions. Trying to keep them in a straight line was very unwise, should have been a scatter drill for the towers

And yes - Crown is lucky to have him. He's fantastic. 

28 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What was your issue with the color scheme? The guard did the best they could with those stupid cubes (though honestly, BD was able to pull off moving large cubes in 2016 without too many issues by the end of the season). 

Flat ending? It's called a quiet ending. SCV does it all the time, Phantom 2010, BD 2012 are all excellent examples of a quiet endings done right. A quiet ending does not mean flat. I know the Cadets usually go for the "run around at 220 bpm and play as loud as possible" but come on, sometimes seeing nuance is nice. It was quite gorgeous the way Cadets 2013 ended 

clown circus primary colors didn't fit the music AT ALL

I'm fine with quiet endings. I do know what one is. SCV last year worked. Cadets 2013 fell flat. And all IMO - you feeling otherwise doesn't make me wrong and you correct. And vice versa, glad you enjoyed the 2013 ending.

To get this back on topic - I do think the design errors from Crown 2016 will be corrected this year:

1. I'd expect a much more upbeat ending

2. I'd expect a more resolved ballad

3. I'd expect a more vibrant color scheme as last years blended into the field way too much at LOS

I also believe they will have a killer drill and probably much less "movement" in general

All JMO,

George 

16 minutes ago, auldschool said:

Then SCV uses towers in that 2015 show...and I think they built them in a way that made them easier to maneuver perhaps? That was an excellent show and the effect worked very well. 

Agreed! It's all about design.

14 minutes ago, auldschool said:

He wrote a good drill but should have "staged" the towers more appropriately and that was certainly under his jurisdiction. 

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

clown circus primary colors didn't fit the music AT ALL

I'm fine with quiet endings. I do know what one is. SCV last year worked. Cadets 2013 fell flat. And all IMO - you feeling otherwise doesn't make me wrong and you correct. And vice versa, glad you enjoyed the 2013 ending.

To get this back on topic - I do think the design errors from Crown 2016 will be corrected this year:

1. I'd expect a much more upbeat ending

2. I'd expect a more resolved ballad

3. I'd expect a more vibrant color scheme as last years blended into the field way too much at LOS

I also believe they will have a killer drill and probably much less "movement" in general

All JMO,

George 

Nor does you believing it was "terrible" make it so.

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Nor does you believing it was "terrible" make it so.

This is a discussion. We share our perceptions. That's the way this works.

let's get back to Crown 2017!