Carolina Crown 2017

5 minutes ago, auldschool said:

George I don't get your perception of 'terrible'. No, I don't have to trust you because your opinions are skewed based on your history as a corps member or fan...The 2013 ending for The Cadets was not terrible. Holy crap are you kidding? That drill was brilliant and the musical scoring was incredible. You didn't like it but so what. But I guess if you think something you don't like is terrible then so be it. I choose to try not to be a snob about all this and see the good and bad in every show. 

This is one of the few times I agree with every word you say in a post. 

Cadets 2013 was brilliant in every single way. The traditional Cadets honks are just offended that the Cadets took a break from their whiplash style for a year. Musically, that Cadets show had the best score of the year in my opinion and the closer did the quiet ending to perfection.

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

This is one of the few times I agree with every word you say in a post. 

Cadets 2013 was brilliant in every single way. The traditional Cadets honks are just offended that the Cadets took a break from their whiplash style for a year. Musically, that Cadets show had the best score of the year in my opinion and the closer did the quiet ending to perfection.

Good grief.

It was not "brilliant in every single way" and they did not take a break from "whiplash style" for a year (look at the Medea section) 

Yes - muscially they were the best, score fantastic and the percussion incredible. But the guard / color scheme / flat ending were not "brilliant"

Just now, George Dixon said:

Good grief.

It was not "brilliant in every single way" and they did not take a break from "whiplash style" for a year (look at the Medea section) 

Yes - muscially they were the best, score fantastic and the percussion incredible. But the guard / color scheme / flat ending were not "brilliant"

What was your issue with the color scheme? The guard did the best they could with those stupid cubes (though honestly, BD was able to pull off moving large cubes in 2016 without too many issues by the end of the season). 

Flat ending? It's called a quiet ending. SCV does it all the time, Phantom 2010, BD 2012 are all excellent examples of a quiet endings done right. A quiet ending does not mean flat. I know the Cadets usually go for the "run around at 220 bpm and play as loud as possible" but come on, sometimes seeing nuance is nice. It was quite gorgeous the way Cadets 2013 ended 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, auldschool said:

This is a strange year for them. They have always announced their show by the latest the beginning of all days. I will be critical of this and say it's silly to wait like this. It does #### fans off . I mean get the word out and let people know. 

Everyone seems to be holding back on releasing stuff. Maybe the design was still in transition and they want to wait until all the loose ends are tied.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I see the good and bad in shows also. Crown had a GREAT show last year with a bad ending. Cadets were great in 2013 with a sad ending that fell very flat

The entire visual side of things for Cadets 2013 was off - the "drill" was ok (with very nice portions) but the color scheme was horrific, the outhouses were too big to move cleanly and the guard never got clean. Musically the program was fantastic & I especially enjoyed the percussion throughout as well as the entire ballad. I even loved the guard in the ballad with the bending poles they used to interact/interpret the tension and release in the music. Wow.

Crown last year was extremely impressive in many many ways (by far most ways) - I loved the use of the western visual motif to tell a classic western tale of revenge (up until the second ending), the body movement was the best ever put on the field IMO, the brass was stellar, the guard was stellar. It had issues as well - the "tango" was too long (IMO), and the ballad was too short and didn't get time to have a full payoff, the second ending fell very flat. But the corps overall was incredible. Stunningly so.

Learn to appreciate more and criticize less. Even drill you think was just 'ok' in 2013 was written by a DCI Hall of Famer. Remember? Could you write that drill? Hey I didn't like the props much but they added to the effect and I can appreciate the intent. Man I can even find redeeming factors with the black uniforms and wedding cake props in last years show. I just don't personally like to use the word 'terrible' when we're talking about levels of design that I can't even imagine creating. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What was your issue with the color scheme? The guard did the best they could with those stupid cubes (though honestly, BD was able to pull off moving large cubes in 2016 without too many issues by the end of the season). 

Flat ending? It's called a quiet ending. SCV does it all the time, Phantom 2010, BD 2012 are all excellent examples of a quiet endings done right. A quiet ending does not mean flat. I know the Cadets usually go for the "run around at 220 bpm and play as loud as possible" but come on, sometimes seeing nuance is nice. It was quite gorgeous the way Cadets 2013 ended 

I think 2013 they were beat up a bit too much on the towers. God knows two years later, BD came out with INK with books, poles and god knows what else thrown all over the field and it was stunning and childhood storybook bliss by the judges. 

Hey George by the way...the Crown show ending in 2016 was not bad!!! Was it what I personally would have liked to see...no again I wanted to see some great drill. But it's what Keith and Leon wanted. Right? So then you would agree that they held Crown back in 2016...is that what you're saying?

Just now, Tobias said:

I think 2013 they were beat up a bit too much on the towers. God knows two years later, BD came out with INK with books, poles and god knows what else thrown all over the field and it was stunning and childhood storybook bliss by the judges. 

To be fair, the Cadets oriented the towers in a way (diagonally and straight down the field) that made finding mistakes very easy. BD's towers were arranged in a way that made mistakes (and there were plenty) easier to hide. But I agree the Cadets were beat up more than they deserved on those towers 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, auldschool said:

Hey George by the way...the Crown show ending in 2016 was not bad!!! Was it what I personally would have liked to see...no again I wanted to see some great drill. But it's what Keith and Leon wanted. Right? So then you would agree that they held Crown back in 2016...is that what you're saying?

That's a bit of a stretch. George is entitled to his critique which sounds pretty much on the money. They played too much with the ending and the result was ok but not stellar. Maybe cost them a position maybe not but they were outstanding last year regardless.

17 minutes ago, auldschool said:

This is a strange year for them. They have always announced their show by the latest the beginning of all days. I will be critical of this and say it's silly to wait like this. It does #### fans off . I mean get the word out and let people know. 

Bluecoats did it with much anticipation from fans what makes it different for Crown to hold off longer than usual.