Questions For Drum Corps Know-It-Alls

!

A search was done at finals in 2000. Police used K9's, and the dog went straight for Butch's stuff, although he wasn't the only one with stuff. Pandemonium started, Gibbs was obviously less than pleased that the incident was happening, and law enforcement set out to arrest him. Without divulging and listing assistance, he made it through the stadium, got on the field and played.

There's rumor that Gibbs knew he was going to get on the field to play, so he could at least march the show, but I seriously doubt that. From what I know, he was ######.

His name has also been removed from the roster for the 2 years he marched BD, so listing on their app are only 4 bass drums, even though there are clearly 5. The crap of that is he's not the first nor the last person that has had drugs on tour, he's just the example that had to be set.

Edited by tesmusic

!

Anyway that show is one of my very favorite BD shows. Genius in every respect and dear god that hornline. Hitchcock, Bernard Hermann, and the Devils were a perfect match. Gonna have to go find a copy to listen to now :-)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

My friend who is somewhat of a drum corps newbie was asking me the following questions, which I should have known the answer for, but did not. Please feel free to pick any one or more of the following to answer.

1. Who is the person(s) who has complete say and makes the final decision on what type of show the corps will be doing in the coming year? Do all of the Caption heads meet in a room to listen to music and vote on which music they like the best? How is that process play itself out? How are new show decisions decided? When do they begin? In September?

2. How many Caption Heads of the Top 12 corps are working full time for the corps? Do most have other jobs? Like band teachers, etc.?

3. What is the main responsibility of a "corps director"? What is the main responsibility of a corps' executive director?

4. Why is it called a "Caption?" Like Caption Head? Kind of a strange word.

5. How much does it cost an individual to play in any of the TOP 12 corps (total expense...winter rehearsals and travel, spring, summer)...does the corps pay for airfare? What if a music prodigy kid cannot afford it? Do corps offer scholarships? Does DCI offer scholarships for low-income families?

6. What does an Open Class corps have to do to become a World Class corps? Is there a membership requirement? Do you have to present your case to DCI to jump to World Class?

7. How often, if at all, do corps recruit specific people? E.G. Johnny Trumpet playing Triple G's...plays for Blue Devils...would the Bluecoats or Crown ever recruit Johnny to come play for them?

8. Is drum corps a relatively "clean" activity? Or is there still drug and alcohol problems? If someone is caught doing drugs in any of the corps, will they be immediately sent home?

9. Does the winning corps get anything? Like a new set of drum equipment from Vic Firth or a money prize from DCI?

10. Has anyone ever been injured during a show...like broken a leg? What happened? If that ever happens, will the corps get marked down? Will they stop the show?

1. corps director, program coordinator (person who overseas all the caption heads/arrangers/designers) they have the final say. I know places I've worked its been a fairly open process where anyone in the corps can submit ideas for next season. some are thrown out quickly, some are put into the pool and considered based on usability/cost of rights/ability to work with possible proposed themes... Most corps are at least a year ahead on show them ideas. Some even further in terms of knowing possible choices for the next several years. (so they now how much funding to raise for each season)

2. I would say none. most of the top caption heads are freelance arrangers, designers, and music clinicians. some come from high level high school programs, others from universities.

Admin are more often the only full time staff. Corps directors for example are often full time positions in World Class as they have tons of responsibilities.

3.Main jobs of a Director change from corps to corps. Most often they work with the board of directors securing funding, overseeing the creation of the show, planning how the corps travels, managing the budget, finding grants, doing PR work, organizing housing, camps, & volunteers... the list goes on and on and on... Executive director seems to be all about securing funding with the board of directors and managing the operating budget. Director is more of the coordinator on tour. The face of the corps to the membership. Both the ED and the D attend DCI meetings about rulings, schedule creation, and again.. budgets.

4. Caption simply means area. Brass, Visual, Percussion. Caption head overseas the arrangers/designers, techs, membership, changes, etc...

5. Cheap corps are about $2000, and the costs can go up to $4000. travel to/from camps is on your own as a member. Camps often have separate fees to cover the cost of the housing as well as food for the weekend. There are sometimes scholarships for talented individuals, there are some scholarships for current members through DCI (such as the Jim Ott scholarship). Often you can find sponsors from schools, private individuals, and business & corporations. Most corps have a scholarship letter you can send out as a member to ask for help on fees.

6. you have to prove financial stability & ability to travel to shows, have your camps visited by DCI and reviewed to see how they operate, and you have to apply for membership with all of these things in consideration.

7. in rare cases, if you have a need for a type of player (screamer trumpet, lead trombone or baritone, dancers, synth...etc etc etc) , corps can go to high schools or college that the staff work at and try to recruit if they didn't get that in their auditions, or if they had that type of person and they dropped out, or had some family circumstances arise that caused them to leave. Or even if they have a hole to fill due to injury or family circumstance. if you have a snare blow their ACL... you can't just move a mallet player to that position. You'd have to either go find a new snare, or close the hole.

8. It wasn't always. But due to insurance of the corps, schools that they stay at (state and federal laws), and places shows are held, the activity tries to maintain a clean atmosphere. I would assume at this point there is a zero tolerance policy in all corps for drugs, alcohol on school grounds, show grounds, or in/near corps busses and trucks. Likely if a member is 21 and they have a free day, what they do on their own time is their responsibility, but there is zero tolerance for not being able to rehearse for circumstances that could occur from too much free day. If you have some sort of controlled substance on school grounds, in some states that is a felony. Hence a zero tolerance policy. One incident could end up in losing the housing site for the corps, show sponsor, and DCI forever.

9. They get a trophy, their name on a plate on the DCI trophy, and a flag. (they will also likely perform last at nearly every show they are in the next season)

10. Yes. there's been other mentions of this in the forum. It happens. show goes as planned. just have to get that person out of the way somehow.

• Like 1

8. Is drum corps a relatively "clean" activity? Or is there still drug and alcohol problems? If someone is caught doing drugs in any of the corps, will they be immediately sent home?

I can only speak of the one corps I was involved with but there is a zero tolerance policy for drugs. Anyone known to have engaged is out. And yes, it happened.

I can only speak of the one corps I was involved with but there is a zero tolerance policy for drugs. Anyone known to have engaged is out. And yes, it happened.

I can concur. Ive seen members removed for drug and alcohol incidents. Dropped off at the bus station or airport, and told good luck.

A search was done at finals in 2000. Police used K9's, and the dog went straight for Butch's stuff, although he wasn't the only one with stuff. Pandemonium started, Gibbs was obviously less than pleased that the incident was happening, and law enforcement set out to arrest him. Without divulging and listing assistance, he made it through the stadium, got on the field and played.

There's rumor that Gibbs knew he was going to get on the field to play, so he could at least march the show, but I seriously doubt that. From what I know, he was ######.

His name has also been removed from the roster for the 2 years he marched BD, so listing on their app are only 4 bass drums, even though there are clearly 5. The crap of that is he's not the first nor the last person that has had drugs on tour, he's just the example that had to be set.

It was actually at Finals? Was that because it was DC that security was so tight?

Finals were actually in College Park, MD outside of DC lines.

I was in the stands watching all three nights and somehow missed this entire drama. hah!

I can concur. Ive seen members removed for drug and alcohol incidents. Dropped off at the bus station or airport, and told good luck.

I've seen it happen and almost happen a few times. There was a more minor incident where the director allowed the members involved to continue the season as long as they agreed that any further infractions would result in an immediate termination from the corps. Another time an issue was discovered in the last week of the season and the members were allowed to march championships but then told they would not be welcomed back to the corps the next year.

Once I did see a member kicked out, but it was more for consistent behavioral issues that the member had zero intentions of fixing and led to constant yelling between said member and staff.

Edited by TroopAlum12