A criticism

Barigirl78, well done!

I have nothing to say in response as I am a man without specifics, without sources and a flawed understanding of the creative process.

I'm actually taking this seriously.

I'm not convinced the first sentence is true or who the "they" is who says it and believes it.

I can think of any art form that has "no place to go". Maybe you can offer an example of an art form wherein this is true.

One thing I thought of is a case where it ISN'T true. Some people might have said the Broadway-style musical had no place to go, but it's constantly finding new places to go, as Hamilton proved this year to thunderous success. It even expanded the Broadway audience by incorporating a different musical genres not usually associated with the standard Broadway audience.

I have friends who work in the visual arts and there are always new places to go there. So, what art form has entered the realm of the absurd that prompted this?

Thank you, barigirl. You beat me to the punch on this. I was about to ask the OP the same question, only in a slightly different form.

Bsader, by bringing up the question, one might be led to believe that you feel the statement "every art form eventually ends up in a realm of absurdity" is not only a truism, but may very well have already happened with certain art forms. Is this true? And can you name for us one art form which, in your estimation, has entered this "realm of the absurd?" And if you can, I would be most interested in hearing your justification and supportive evidence.

As someone who has made his career in the Arts, I cannot but hold the philosophy that to enter such a realm, in any artistic medium of expression, would simply be admitting that we, as human beings, have reached a zenith of expression in that form, and that any further attempts to progress and advance would become superfluous. I, personally, do not wish to place the human species under that constraint. In fact, I believe that the closer we get to reaching what we consider (oh, how incredibly vain of us!!) to be a possible "zenith," the more we will actually learn in both our technical and expressive capabilities, and therefore find available for even greater expression. If there are to be limits, it is only because we choose to place such on ourselves. Just as an explorer can only go one land, one mountain, one country, and ultimately, one planet at a time, the same holds true for the artist. And with each level of learning, more becomes apparent and open to us as a result. Scientists have determined that the very Universe is still continually expanding, with the realization that we cannot, and most likely will not, ever determine the final boundary. Why should Arts not be the same??

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 3

No specific's necessary, it's obvious.

Pamaho, I have the feeling that many of the written words that are out there sound all mashed together for you but thanks for trying to break it all down for everyone.

"Beware of the person who can't be bothered by details." - William Feather

• Like 2

No specific's necessary, it's obvious.

Pamaho, I have the feeling that many of the written words that are out there sound all mashed together for you but thanks for trying to break it all down for everyone.

I'll agree, there are lots of things out there that i don't understand. I spent far too many years studying Anglo-American Philosophy and learned that the first thing you must do is to try to understand what "So and So philosopher" is actually saying because it sounds crazy (e.g. George Berkeley says and believes that there is no physical "stuff" out there in the universe, only minds and ideas in minds). Yet we still study these philosophers and don't dismiss them. Once you understand them, you are in the position to critique or praise them.

That's what I was offering to you, an opportunity to clarify what you had to say. It's obvious to you, but not to some of the rest of us, so, I'd guess I'd like to renew the request to clarify, by, perhaps an illustration or two.

(By the way, Berkeley may have been correct, but I doubt I can convince you of that at this time.)

Serious Folks here want to understand first, before we agree or disagree.

• Like 1

They say every art form eventually ends up in a realm of absurdity because it simply has no place to go. Is this the state of today's Drum Corp? When art becomes alienating it either turns people away or causes it audience to convince themselves that what they are experiencing is indeed art and not some pursuit of the silly that caters to a select group.

No

What is written below are words I wrote in response to a Jeff Ream topic "Complaint's". I thought I would create it as a topic for discussion. In doing so I only ask that you not reply accusing me of being a curmudgeon....because I ain't. Also I feel the need to state that this is written as constructive criticism so please don't reply with criticism towards me for being critical. Also, in writing this I am aware that my words could possibly hurt the feelings and lower the self-esteem of all the kiddies who worked so hard this summer.

They say every art form eventually ends up in a realm of absurdity because it simply has no place to go. Is this the state of today's Drum Corp? When art becomes alienating it either turns people away or causes it audience to convince themselves that what they are experiencing is indeed art and not some pursuit of the silly that caters to a select group.

Hold the boat. Not my topic. I have one, maybe 2 smart ### replies but I cannot nor will not claim authorship of the thread because I didn't start it nor would I.

Please correct that error. I don't need hate mail because someone else is grouchy

• Like 1

Hold the boat. Not my topic. I have one, maybe 2 smart ### replies but I cannot nor will not claim authorship of the thread because I didn't start it nor would I.

Please correct that error. I don't need hate mail because someone else is grouchy

Sorry I didn't point that out earlier. I could not make sense out of anything he was saying anyway, but since it is obvious, I guess I'm lacking in understanding the obvious.

Sorry I didn't point that out earlier. I could not make sense out of anything he was saying anyway, but since it is obvious, I guess I'm lacking in understanding the obvious.

Well, obviously

• Like 1