A criticism

most arts eventually DABBLE in the absurd (see: literary post-modernism of the 80's, new wave cinema), but that doesn't mean they move there.

DCI has seen MOMENTS of absurdity, from some of the smaller corps who do fun shows, and some moments within VK or Bridgemen shows. Absurdism as is different from generally being 'silly' in that it's either a comical nihilism or a sort of satire of a search for value.. basically the acknowledgement of seeking a value but also simultaneous contradictory stance that it cannot be achieved or it has no value. having the entire corps march in red Chuck Taylor's, for an example, is an element of the absurd, in which it respects the uniformity and precision but does so in a way which rejects the presumed dignity and prestige of the act. absurdism in its most tangible is generally a neighbor to satire.

but DCI doesn't define the entirety of the 'art' of marching music.
there's a performing group in Chicago, goes by Mucca Pazza (you can look them up) who represent a sort of absurdist marching band...including uniforms and cheerleaders, but being largely chaotic. and the Stanford band has probably had absurdist moments.

what would an absurdist DCI show look like? it could reject the notion of aesthetics, by playing an entire show Sharp. or it could reject the notion of the audience by playing an entire show facing the backfield, or even muted. It'll never happen at the top of DCI, there's just too much time and money invested to go out on that kind of limb, but I'm sure somewhere a WGI group or college band has given it a whirl.

I suppose a true and pure absurdist show would be 150 completely unrehearsed members released onto the field, with 150 instruments, to perform however they saw fit on whatever they saw fit. with a different 150 members each time. and some of the instruments are fish.
so no, I don't think that's anything DCI has to fear.

but if anybody has the gall to try, I bet it'd be the Blue Knights.
I mean, did they already plan on playing Cohen's 'the great event' last year when they chose to play 'because'? I had a liberal arts spasm when I realized they were referencing last year's show in the future tense.
but that's neither here nor there.

You can tune a trumpet but you can not tuna fish.

Edited by Bsader

Claymation is one obvious example.

you apologizing for calling me the author of that thread is another

Constantly Risking Absurdity is the only way to have fun is it not?

but if anybody has the gall to try, I bet it'd be the Blue Knights.

I mean, did they already plan on playing Cohen's 'the great event' last year when they chose to play 'because'? I had a liberal arts spasm when I realized they were referencing last year's show in the future tense.

but that's neither here nor there.

Im really impressed with BK because of that. Ive been wanting shows to connect over years in some way thematically. This is the closest i can remember, other than corps doing the same show each year or scv doing a second phantom of the opera show but with different pieces. Scouts "drum corps fan dream part dos" was a spiritual successor to the previous show, but i don't think they went into 95 thinking they would do that show in 96.

I just really want a trilogy show. To know sortof whats around the corner, but not be sure. It would be an ambitious project, somewhat pointless since each season is judged independently, but if the story is compelling i bet the audience would like it.

Anyway, i feel BD would do an absurdist art show. Because they like to do shows about art. See: dada. BK does shows about experiences, and maybe they could have a show about "the absurd" but it wouldn't be an absurdist dci show.

Bsader -

I get you - I know what you mean - I agree with you ---

I believe the technical innovations are helping the art form continue to expand - the sound design innovations introduced by the Bluecoats have opened up new creative territories for all drum corps.

To me, it seemed for a while there in the mid 90s to mid 00's DC was going down a modernist/minimalist path. The activity was hitting the creative ceiling and staying high in the ether - far from audience accessibility --

Electronics and narration started to bring the activity back to accessibility and relevancy to the average audience member. Then starting with Tilt, the Bluecoats took audio design to a new level and opened up new creative options.

This year the Bluecoats have introduced new innovations in visual design, asking the question, "why do we need to wear helmets and uniforms? We're DANCERS" This visual innovation will move through all of DCI and encourage further change, growth and creative innovation.

With these new visual and sound technology creative opportunities, corps are growing creatively and designing shows that are accessible to audiences. The innovation doesn't need to be only in the music selections - getting further and further musically outside the envelope -- now, corps can do incredibly creative shows and yet keep the music mainstream and understandable.

I like the direction drum corps is headed - a lot of creative possibilities - and yet still the ability to be competitively rewarded for enjoyable, accessible shows --