Benefits of Backstage

BD this year and SCV previously (Les Mis) have had sizeable backstages if one considers where the props are placed. BD cut off a horizontal 1/4 of the field this summer, but it was SCV who learned that the backstage is tic-able within the sidelines for the field judging. No back boundaries limiting for those judging from the box; what they see and hear they judge.

it also condenses the field and makes drill look significantly more expansive than it actually is.

A trick more small high school bands should consider when planning their competitive shows for the fall. Too many times when I am judging, I see directors that don't realize that putting a 40 member (for example) band near the back hash makes them looks small, and drastically affects their overall sound. Cutting the field down in area helps to make the group look and sound larger than they truly are. ("Smoke and Mirrors!!!")

• Like 2

A trick more small high school bands should consider when planning their competitive shows for the fall. Too many times when I am judging, I see directors that don't realize that putting a 40 member (for example) band near the back hash makes them looks small, and drastically affects their overall sound. Cutting the field down in area helps to make the group look and sound larger than they truly are. ("Smoke and Mirrors!!!")

We are doing exactly that with the band this fall. We're using nine stationary backdrops to frame the field. It's just smart design, *if* your drill writer understands how to stage that way, which mine absolutely does.

• Like 2

Yes! That was a great moment. I hope they bring that back in the future.

Isn't that the show where guard members took up brass for a company front too? That was another neat moment.

What's everyone's thoughts of corps having a backstage area? Is this cheating, or just a smarter way to play the game?

I was watching some of the member go-pro videos from Bluecoats show, and I noticed there's a lot of things going on behind the quarter pipes that the audience never sees (backstage); members waiting for their part of the show to start, members having fun and goofing around a bit, etc. Obviously none of this was judged since it couldn't be seen.

Let's be clear here: the video you watched (with go pros) was obviously from Bluecoats encore performance at Finals, or an encore from another show. So sure, there could have been some goofing off, some fun, high-fives, etc.

I doubt any of this happened during competitive performances. It is my understanding that the judges can assess a corps no matter where they are on the field, even if hidden by a prop. Anything that is out of the character of the show, no matter where on the field, can be judged. Backstage can be judged just like front stage.

Now, do the judges make an effort to get backstage? Occasionally I do see them wander back for a peak, but I don't think it's a big deal to them. What matters most is when the corps is performing for the audience. It's not like the marching members are backstage often or for super long periods of time. It's also not like they go back there, have a smoke, take their jacket off, kick back for a second while enjoying some conversation. :)

Let's be clear here: the video you watched (with go pros) was obviously from Bluecoats encore performance at Finals, or an encore from another show. So sure, there could have been some goofing off, some fun, high-fives, etc.

I doubt any of this happened during competitive performances. It is my understanding that the judges can assess a corps no matter where they are on the field, even if hidden by a prop. Anything that is out of the character of the show, no matter where on the field, can be judged. Backstage can be judged just like front stage.

Now, do the judges make an effort to get backstage? Occasionally I do see them wander back for a peak, but I don't think it's a big deal to them. What matters most is when the corps is performing for the audience. It's not like the marching members are backstage often or for super long periods of time. It's also not like they go back there, have a smoke, take their jacket off, kick back for a second while enjoying some conversation. :)

JW.

Let's go to the video of Crown 2016 and check out what Roxanne is doing with that cowboy behind the stage and swinging doors!!!

Indy stage placement may have revealed more than what most folks imagined in a family setting, ha, ha.

Actually Finals/Semis Finals rehearsal videos was where I got to thinking this way, not Encore performances. I'd assume the full runs on Finals day were all pretty similar to how it actually goes down in performance. And I'm also not talking about just fun stuff like high fives. Examples:

• Things like the beginning of this video from a baritone on Finals day, when the show has already started the members are getting ready to run out but before that they're just standing around, stretching a bit and getting ready, and none of that is choreographed.
  • Or this mello cam from Finals day (this is actually the one that got me really interested in this), at the 3:50 mark in the video, there's a visual that's clearly been organized by the members (just for fun) yet wasn't visible and wasn't judged. Note, on this video, I am actually curious if the guy really did jump on the ladder and mouth out "The Bluecoats" in every run like he did in this one

To be clear, I'm of the mindset that this is just a smarter way to play the game, and mean no disrespect to the Bluecoats or any corps that's ever had a backstage area. I find it interesting that there's a way to give your members a mental break midshow and have chunks of time you don't have to spend choreographing/rehearsing/cleaning, and this show specifically seemed to take advantage of this idea without sacrificing show design.

Now, do the judges make an effort to get backstage? Occasionally I do see them wander back for a peak,

Also I thought there were no on-field judges anymore except for the percussion judge. If they're not on-field, they can't get/see back there.