THE ACADEMY 2017

So without giving anything away.....

May or may not have last years video of this performance to compare to......which was on June 14th.  They have about a minute more of drill on the field this year for it.  

• The obvious standout to me is percussion.  Fantastic and WAY more challenging book this year that IMO they're already selling pretty well, there's some obvious it's only freakin mid June dirt but wow they're fun to watch/listen to.  There was a judges tape out there from Prospiere last year in which he says they can totally take on more and they sure did.  Can totally hear Lee Beddis in this, I forget what role he is in but I can tell he is there.  I've missed his voice.......nice to hear him back.  Front ensemble has some fantastic musicality.  
  • Hornline has much better fundamental quality of sound this year, on video they might not quite have as much power but I feel like they have a more solid foundation this go around.
  • If the color guard antics continue the rest of the show like they do in the first few minutes they're gonna be incredibly entertaining and hillarious to watch......love it.  Haha.  What they do have work wise looks more difficult/cleaner than what they had last year at this point.  
  • This show seems the logical next step up in difficulty/depth to me.  It's pretty unfinished right now but I see/hear tons of potential for when it is.  
  • I have no idea what's going on drill wise because of the video angle so no comment there.  
  • SUPER Klesch music book  with tons of super awesome and memorable music moments already.  
  • Not sure thematically yet because guard is obviously in its early stages and they're gonna sell most of that.  So more to come there.  
  • The hornlines choreo is hilarious, I hope there is more of that kind of stuff to come.  
  • So overall......I'm impressed.  It's going to be a helluva lot of fun again, no one is going to watch this show and not recognize something and the theme has the potential to be incredibly hilarious and entertaining.  Percussion is the current standout, fantastic book.  I don't have the shell shock I did last year because I'm expecting them to be awesome.  Last year I was still thinking another two or so years before they were finalist level but then I saw this video and was blown away.  Relative to where they were last year, I think pretty great things are coming down the pipe. By the time they meet up with some of their biggest competition they'll have everything in place and will be started cleaning. Might start off scoring a bit low but with time I think this can easily grow into a finalist level show again. I think making finals is more what Madison Scouts/Crossmen/etc. do because I think The Academy is doing everything right.
  • Like 8

First impression:

captions may be stronger:percussion and guard.

Brass??? May be the difficulty of the book, but not getting the sound I'm used to from them.

show design: my least favorite of theirs the last few years. I know it's early, but not getting the same vibe I got from early recordings of 15/16.

possibly leaving door open for Madison to return and BAC definitely moving up.

would say the 12th-14 range. Not seeing this show as being the one to bring them into the 9-11 range.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

I assess Academy's show and performer talent as definately having enough in it to retain their TOP 12 status.. and yes, perhaps even move up.. I'm saying this however in isolation to what others around Academy might have. But count me in as one impressed,  as Academy on the whole looks improved to me over last season. I think I am going to really enjoy Academy's show this summer too!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

So without giving anything away.....

May or may not have last years video of this performance to compare to......which was on June 14th.  They have about a minute more of drill on the field this year for it.  

• The obvious standout to me is percussion.  Fantastic and WAY more challenging book this year that IMO they're already selling pretty well, there's some obvious it's only freakin mid June dirt but wow they're fun to watch/listen to.  There was a judges tape out there from Prospiere last year in which he says they can totally take on more and they sure did.  Can totally hear Lee Beddis in this, I forget what role he is in but I can tell he is there.  I've missed his voice.......nice to hear him back.  Front ensemble has some fantastic musicality.  
  • Hornline has much better fundamental quality of sound this year, on video they might not quite have as much power but I feel like they have a more solid foundation this go around.
  • If the color guard antics continue the rest of the show like they do in the first few minutes they're gonna be incredibly entertaining and hillarious to watch......love it.  Haha.  What they do have work wise looks more difficult/cleaner than what they had last year at this point.  
  • This show seems the logical next step up in difficulty/depth to me.  It's pretty unfinished right now but I see/hear tons of potential for when it is.  
  • I have no idea what's going on drill wise because of the video angle so no comment there.  
  • SUPER Klesch music book  with tons of super awesome and memorable music moments already.  
  • Not sure thematically yet because guard is obviously in its early stages and they're gonna sell most of that.  So more to come there.  
  • The hornlines choreo is hilarious, I hope there is more of that kind of stuff to come.  
  • So overall......I'm impressed.  It's going to be a helluva lot of fun again, no one is going to watch this show and not recognize something and the theme has the potential to be incredibly hilarious and entertaining.  Percussion is the current standout, fantastic book.  I don't have the shell shock I did last year because I'm expecting them to be awesome.  Last year I was still thinking another two or so years before they were finalist level but then I saw this video and was blown away.  Relative to where they were last year, I think pretty great things are coming down the pipe. By the time they meet up with some of their biggest competition they'll have everything in place and will be started cleaning. Might start off scoring a bit low but with time I think this can easily grow into a finalist level show again. I think making finals is more what Madison Scouts/Crossmen/etc. do because I think The Academy is doing everything right.

This sounds terrific for ACademy but my only concern is with the comment about getting off to a slow start.  This season, maybe more than previous seasons imo, because of what we hear from other corps, is one where a slow start could be difficult to recover from. We'all know soon enough but historically for corps, an early slip or slow out of the gate could spell trouble.  I wish them all the best.  

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

This sounds terrific for ACademy but my only concern is with the comment about getting off to a slow start.  This season, maybe more than previous seasons imo, because of what we hear from other corps, is one where a slow start could be difficult to recover from. We'all know soon enough but historically for corps, an early slip or slow out of the gate could spell trouble.  I wish them all the best.  

I would agree with this assessment. A slow start is recoverable to the extent that one can perhaps pass some Corps to get back to, or near, the placement position the Corps had the year before,, But its another matter entirely if a Corps has designs of moving up in placements from the previous season's placement finish. In these cases, a slow out of the gate start can really make moving up in placement over the previous year's placements a very daunting task indeed... especially here in the modern DCI age. (I'm not saying that this pertains to Academy here, by the way.. just in general)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I wouldn't say they're off to a slow start, if one of my comments came off as a slow start I didn't intend so.  They performed everything with drill up to the closer, which itself is around 2 minutes long.  About a minute more than they had on the field last year four days from now.  So if anything I'd say they're a little bit ahead (and that's the sentiment I'm getting from people close/who have watched them over the last few years).  

Those are my sentiments of course, we shall see in about two weeks from today where they are at DCI West.  That will be the first real measure of how they're doing and when we can all see the show live or on the webcast.  By the time they meet up with their closest competition I have a feeling the effects of wherever they may be now will be no longer relevant.  

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I wouldn't say they're off to a slow start, if one of my comments came off as a slow start I didn't intend so.  They performed everything with drill up to the closer, which itself is around 2 minutes long.  About a minute more than they had on the field last year four days from now.  So if anything I'd say they're a little bit ahead (and that's the sentiment I'm getting from people close/who have watched them over the last few years).  

Those are my sentiments of course, we shall see in about two weeks from today where they are at DCI West.  That will be the first real measure of how they're doing and when we can all see the show live or on the webcast.  By the time they meet up with their closest competition I have a feeling the effects of wherever they may be now will be no longer relevant.  

That's Stanford, right?  I'm going to try to get home from Michigan City in time to, at least, catch the end of the show. 

Looking and sounding great, AZ A! Go forth..conquer!