Thinking about where to audition in 2018...

Take into consideration logistics as well. I don't think your post mentioned where your college is located, but are you prepared to fly anywhere in the country to auditions and camps, or do need something you can drive to? Are finances an issue? Look carefully at how each corps structures its financial requirements: registration/audition fee, camp fees, tuition/tour fees, any extras?

If you want to discuss in detail, my son now has gone from Open Class to Surf to Cadets, and would be happy to contrast and compare them for you.

Sorry for not indicating that. My college is located in Fredonia, NY, literally halfway between Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY.
  • Like 1

Sorry for not indicating that. My college is located in Fredonia, NY, literally halfway between Erie, PA and Buffalo, NY.

SUNY Fredonia. I have a number of friends who went there. Nice area. I spent the summer of 1983 at the Chautauqua Institution playing trombone in the college orchestra. Loved it, and the wings up there are the best.

You're not too far from Canton, OH. Maybe 3+ hours or so. Boston would be a bit more of a drive, as would Cadets. I think you could be in Allentown faster than Boston. Of course, Buffalo is just up the street which means you can fly almost anywhere you wish.

Go where your heart is. Placement and instructors aren't the only reason to go to a corps. Look at all the super talented kids that march Phantom Regiment. We talk about their brass in glowing terms, and much deserved. Yet PR hasn't been a contender in a while. But to those kids that March, they could care less about that stuff. They want to be a member of Phantom. They live, eat, and breathe Phantom. I think you need to ask yourself what style of show suits you best.

• Like 3

I've come to a (tentative) decision. As of right now, if the Blue Stars are as good as or better than they were this past season, I'm auditioning for them. IMO, they have pretty much everything: A beautiful, blended brass sound, an amazing visual program, instructors and designers that know how to create an amazing corps. My friend Matt, before being a member of the Bluecoats trombone octet this year, was in the Blue Stars in 2015. If I can get around to him (and he goes to SUNY Potsdam, waaaaay up near the Canadian border), I'm sure he can answer some additional questions I may have.

Of course, this may change, as with any other person out there. And for that, I have my backup choices (Phantom Regiment, Troopers, heck, I'll throw in Pioneer for good measure). One more time, thanks for all your help!

• Like 2

I've come to a (tentative) decision. As of right now, if the Blue Stars are as good as or better than they were this past season, I'm auditioning for them. IMO, they have pretty much everything: A beautiful, blended brass sound, an amazing visual program, instructors and designers that know how to create an amazing corps. My friend Matt, before being a member of the Bluecoats trombone octet this year, was in the Blue Stars in 2015. If I can get around to him (and he goes to SUNY Potsdam, waaaaay up near the Canadian border), I'm sure he can answer some additional questions I may have.

Of course, this may change, as with any other person out there. And for that, I have my backup choices (Phantom Regiment, Troopers, heck, I'll throw in Pioneer for good measure). One more time, thanks for all your help!

Well as of now everyone is staying there so I hope it works out :)

Well as of now everyone is staying there so I hope it works out :)

Thought I heard that one of their trumpet techs moved to the Cadets, but that's all I've heard.

Thanks again for the suggestions, guys. My only concern is this: I'm part of a college that does not have a marching band, so there are no mellophones available for me to rent out. Also, my school's marching band holds their annual trip in mid-November, the week before audition camps, which means all the mellophones are taken except 1 or 2 old ones that I would not like to play since they require an actual horn (NOT mellophone) mouthpiece. What should I do? Should I just consider buying a used mellophone? Or do you think I can get away with just the French horn? (On second thought, the answer to that last question is probably no.)

If you are a french horn or trombone player...you can probably audition on those instruments...but you need to check with the individual corps you are applying...they will most likely expect you to play something on mello as well...I would rent that instrument if possible...don't be afraid to think outside the box...rent online...I would also spend some serious time with it...that is familiarizing yourself and giving time to develop a beautiful tone and technical prowess on that instrument etc...

A few online rental companies:

https://www.musicrentalcentral.com/marinelli_marching_silver_plated_mellophone_rental.htm

http://www.hornstash.com/products/Mellophone-Rental-Thrifty-2296.html

Edited by Liahona

Even if you're not planning on marching this year, I would still recommend going to an audition or two! It can be a great experience to get the feel of the drum corps, and to learn their marching technique especially if that's where you think you might have trouble. If you get a contract, make sure you're clear up front so no one remembers you next year as the kid who "quit." I would say go to Cadets or Bluecoats this year since you're in driving distance so you can take a look at the "top level" experience and see how it goes. If you are definitely looking at Blue Stars and have friends there, jump in on that too. It's always a good idea to know what to expect and have a whole year to be as prepared as possible.

• Like 1