2016 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Preliminary Competition

All the disgruntled folks in this thread missed one hell of a drum corps show last night.

To be fair, some of what they were disgruntled about was that they missed one hell of a drum corps show (which they would gladly have paid to view online).

I'm lucky in that I usually have off Labor Day weekend free and can manage the four-hour drive and swing the finances of both ticket purchase and hotel room (although it was all a bit more challenging this year, and I benefited from someone having a room to share costs).

I'll be back tomorrow morning for the Alumni Spectacular, starting at 10PM!

If you started the Spectacular coverage at 10 p.m., then I wouldn't have seen you at midnight at the diner.

Wait, what?

That was my reaction! I was so sure that Bucs would be first Saturday night that I'd already written down C2 in second place before they announced that score, and was briefly confused when I heard people around me gasp.

Sorry, if my comment came across as any sort of criticism of the Kilties, that was not its intent. The confusion was entirely my own, for not realizing that one of the main themes from The Last of the Mohicans was actually rearranged from "The Gael".

I’m truly sorry Man’s dominion

Has broken Nature’s social union,
An’ justifies that ill opinion,
Which makes thee startle,
At me, thy poor, earth-born companion,

An’ fellow-mortal!

Your comment wasn't taken as any criticism at all, sorry if the reply came across that way-----it wasn't intended as such. More-so the reply was to offer clarity of how the tune actually nicely fit into the show....as being a Celtic folk song a couple decades well before it was ever incorporated into the soundtrack and rearranged for a non Celtic related movie.

I heard a rumor that they're aiming for this.

I hope so. I saw a Facebook post saying paid attendance was 500 up from last year. While never officially announced, the off the record numbers I've got maybe gets to 4000

I hope so. I saw a Facebook post saying paid attendance was 500 up from last year. While never officially announced, the off the record numbers I've got maybe gets to 4000

One friend of mine posted a pic from the back side facing the audience during Cabs.

Looks like it was about 4k. Lots of space at the ends, a few big clumps of empty seats in the middle.

Video of rehearsal run before Prelims of "Up" from tuba p.o.v.

(And the same

for "Full Circle". Or do someone already link to that?)

I smiled at the fact that one corps this year had a show titled "Up" but another corps actually played music from the movie Up.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Listening to an orchestral suite on Youtube of The Mission. All I can say is that he's a master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLxy4jn_vI

Indeed! I would say that the music is the best aspect of that movie, which is dramatically a slog, in my opinion.

(The photography's pretty good, too. Hard to go wrong when Chris Menges is "lensing", as they say in Variety.)

So in another thread, prior to championships, I wrote:

So it seems there's a pretty good chance that all 14 Open Class corps could break 80 at Prelims. The last time that all Open corps did that was 2010--when they numbered 11. I don't think there's ever been a Prelims in which 14 Open corps made it to 80; the closest looks to be 1997, when 13 corps did so.

As it turned out, this actually happened a week ago. For the first time ever, fourteen corps scored 80 or better in Prelims.

(Speaking of Prelims, don't you love those moments when you spot a brand new video on Youtube and get to be the first viewer?)

>>I'll be back tomorrow morning for the Alumni Spectacular, starting at 10PM!<<

Hmmmm ... nice one Kevin ... sleeping in?

:-)

Heck, I do all my coverage asleep at the wheel as it is.

Oh, wait, I wasn't supposed to say that out loud, was I?