4.15 Jump? 6-10 Scores Lower in Finals?

correct. many at Big Sounds thought they should have won that night.

I loved both shows this year, so I have no gripes.it was close, and a few spreads change on the recap, who knows? judge the show of the day

When I watched the finals feed, watching Reading first, and then C2, I thought that C2 took it. But then when I watched C2 first, followed by Reading, I thought Reading took it. It was THAT close. My thoughts remain that Reading had the more substansive program. C2's package was just a bit tighter by finals weekend.
  • Like 1

I can and would never say "this corps should have won" because the viewer, like me, cannot focus on all captions simultaneously...nor can the judges, which is why we have all of them! We can say which appeals more, which sounds cleaner or looks cleaner from certain spots, but we can't judge the whole.

That being said, what we CAN do is look at the recaps and see if something funny went on...which happened this year at finals. That something funny also accounted for the entire drop in the 5-10 corps scores that is being discussed.

Funny, in this case, is a result that a) hasn't happened all season, b) doesn't come close to the judge adjudicating the identical caption, and c) can be perceived to be trying to call the whole show using spreads.

This has NOTHING to do with any corps and all deserve great praise! The quality this year was great and the placements quite reasonable. This is calling out what I perceive to be a bad apple based on what was put down. JMHO.

something funny? I'm a professional recap analyzer, and I only saw 3 odd things, none of which affected the outcome.

• Like 1

Even if you are correct, the placements were the same both nights, so how much difference can one judge really make?

Also, I really don't understand the coy way in which these claims are being made. Be brave, people, and identify the particular judge you're thinking of and give us the specific numbers that you find concerning, and why.

exactly. at finals, every caption is averaged in some way, so that person would have to throw out huge spreads after knowing what every other judge gave for numbers, and then do the math.

Ain't no one judging got the time for that

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong: Cadets2 had a great show and I'm fine with them winning, despite having slightly preferred Buccaneers (both Saturday and Sunday).

But the information I've bolded in your post is news to me, and I wonder what other all-age corps will have to do in the future to compete with a corps that can do that. Require everyone who joins to take the entire week off work?

Bucs have been rehearsing long hours on Friday at home before boarding the bus for years.

• Like 2

Sure. Joe Allison. Look at the splits in the Music GE scores.

ok do the math. say he has Bucs .1 under MBI. it still has them second over all.

• Like 1

BTW, for me, having a 4.15 jump is not troubling at all. Bad previous run, followed by kick### run; absent people; great cleaning and new changes...the score jump should be celebrated!

and C2 had holes at Reading due to West Chesters band camp

I picked 15 points as the largest, though you can see the effect this one judge had. My questions, however, were: What was the last judge to have those kinds of spreads between the top ten corps at finals? Or even completely different boxes on the scoresheet?

I never claimed he had a specific intent for any corps, or claimed collusion. But when one judge has the spread between, say, 1st and 5th at 10 points and another in the same caption at 19 points, to me there is an issue.

when you double a panel, you often see some wild swings. look at WGI sometime.

Joe can be quirky, but he's ###### good GE judge, one circuits are clamoring for.

• Like 1

I'm not sure that's accurate. Cabs had all of our Ram Band members on Saturday, though they were missing on Sunday (West Chester ensemble auditions were held that day).

I got it from their director and I remember specifically only 5 of the 6 basses there.