DCI Championships In Indy - What Happens After 10 Years Are Up?

The reason is very simply the math of the DCI contract. TEP's "buy" a show lineup and the contract to host said corps must be paid in full before the show date. The contract price is based upon two criteria: the prior year placement finish of the corps in the show and the show date. For example, a show of the top-6 prior year finishers will cost more than a show of the 6 to 12 placements, which will cost more than a show of 15th to 20th-place finishers. A show of the top-6 will cost less for a June show date than it will for a July show date. It's not uncommon for a "typical" lineup (1 or 2 from the top 6, 1 or 2 from 7th to 12, and 2 or 3 from the 13 to 20 bracket) will cost twice as much for a July 30th show than the same lineup will cost for a June 30th.

The risk is that the contract MUST be paid prior to the show date. In the midwest, in late July, the risk of thunderstorms is quite high. In Wyoming the risk of storms in July might not be as high, but the uncertainty of the lineup and the associated required ticket sales most definitely is as high. Can a new TEP, at a new show, in a new location sell enough tickets late season to make the contract obligation? With no prior experience on which to base their ticket prices? With no prior basis to establish ticket prices? Hard to say, yes?

And here's the REAL rub: the contract is canceled only if the show is canceled by the DCI show rep at the field, and DCI considers the show canceled ONLY if no performance takes place. And - get this - a performance includes a single corps, standing on the track, doing a standstill in a downpour.

Read that again.

If it rains all day, and ticket sales are zero at the gate day-of-show, and a corps stands on the track and does a standstill performance (not even required that it be their competition show!), even if it's the ONLY Open class corps performing in the show, the FULL contract cost is due.

THERE is the risk. I hope I've made it clear.

THAT is why we want a late-season, top-6 show. Fans will pay to see the top six late in the season. But the risk of rain or of mis-pricing the tickets is significant and potentially costly for TEPs who are new and/or in an area that's unproven.

Savvy show promoters might want to pick indoor venues...to reduce some of this inherent risk perhaps...

I've been very disappointed in recent years that the crusaders haven't held a show in Southern Connecticut...it was taking off nicely at SCSU and moved from Bridgeport...that was when Tom Spataro was still director....there was a rain-out for the entire show and then the next year I think they tried open-class corps but must not have been profitable...I've had to either travel to Boston or to Pennsylvania for shows...Connecticut is a big drum corps state...has been for decades...

move :tounge2:

I'm actually considering it. My wife thinks its crazy.

Savvy show promoters might want to pick indoor venues...to reduce some of this inherent risk perhaps...

I've been very disappointed in recent years that the crusaders haven't held a show in Southern Connecticut...it was taking off nicely at SCSU and moved from Bridgeport...that was when Tom Spataro was still director....there was a rain-out for the entire show and then the next year I think they tried open-class corps but must not have been profitable...I've had to either travel to Boston or to Pennsylvania for shows...Connecticut is a big drum corps state...has been for decades...

Except, even though we consider ourselves "savvy", there are no indoor venues available to us.

As you describe, a rain-out can put a TEP so far in the red that the only risk she can take the following year is an OC show, which is dirt-cheap compared to a World Class show. At that point the TEP is behind the 8-ball and trying to make up losses.

Most TEP's need "deep-pockets" to pay the contract up front then have faith in the TEP and pray to God that they know what they're doing. A "rookie" TEP (many times the new, local band-booster president) is a HUGE risk for DCI, although they have been very supportive to even new TEP's with good intentions and the right facilities.

BTW, I would absolutely agree with this statement.

The problem is that most corps are east of the Mississippi and headed to Indy in the late season.

Isn't that what the proposed schedule attempts to solve?....

No indoor venues available? We have lots over here.

Weathers a big concern? Not over here.

Fans won't go to early season shows? Not over here.

...Are you sure this activity's being marketed correctly?

• Like 1

Except, even though we consider ourselves "savvy", there are no indoor venues available to us.

As you describe, a rain-out can put a TEP so far in the red that the only risk she can take the following year is an OC show, which is dirt-cheap compared to a World Class show. At that point the TEP is behind the 8-ball and trying to make up losses.

Most TEP's need "deep-pockets" to pay the contract up front then have faith in the TEP and pray to God that they know what they're doing. A "rookie" TEP (many times the new, local band-booster president) is a HUGE risk for DCI, although they have been very supportive to even new TEP's with good intentions and the right facilities.

I couldn't believe when I read your post that a standstill of one corps is considered an entire show...that blows...shouldn't DCI shoulder at least a part of this burden...perhaps let the promoter cover any out-of-pocket costs that DCI had even though the show was cancelled...

Edited by Liahona

Fans won't go to early season shows? Not over here.

You only have the choice of early season shows...so makes sense that it is not a problem for Cali

You only have the choice of early season shows...so makes sense that it is not a problem for Cali

If that's the case (and you're right, it probably is), the argument of low attendance as the reason we can't do early season shows in other parts of the country is moot.