Congratulations to DCI's newest World Class corps!

Therein lies the problem.

Downplaying their performance level and organization because of the OC label is shallow, imo, and seems to be what you're saying, based on your posts.

Also, with the new Thursday format of finals weak, it proves that those class labels don't truly matter from a competitive standpoint.

If you watched any of the OC corps in WC prelims, you'd have seen a dozen corps that came to give you a show. And they did. Most of them outplayed and outdesigned many of the WC groups while utilizing smaller budgets.

• Like 2

If you watched any of the OC corps in WC prelims, you'd have seen a dozen corps that came to give you a show. And they did. Most of them outplayed and outdesigned many of the WC groups while utilizing smaller budgets.

Don't get carried away. Pioneer beat "most" (9) of the OC corps in prelims. A couple of the OC corps beat 8 WC corps. Seven OC corps managed to beat Pioneer. Kind of silly to mention budget contrasts because they mostly reflect the difference in touring costs and not the level of performance.

Still -- I appreciate and share your enthusiasm -- there are some outstanding corps in open class.

Edited by corpsband

while they aren't supposed to be relying on performance fees to run the corps, they do become another mouth to feed overall. WC corps all buy into splitting money of the overall season, basically they buy shares of the company. Approving a corps to move from OC to WC is tricky, simply because the other WC corps have to vote to give up some money with every mouth they feed. Which may not help them recoup that money.

My estimation is that assuming that pool of money remains the same...adding one additional player would probably impact less than 5% of performance income...but not knowing how the exact model with hard numbers works it's really hard to tell what this would actually be in terms of true financial impact...

Edited by Liahona

I don't know their history, but I know the history of similar corps.

Esperanza also comes to mind.

And besides, and I don't mean this to be rude or insulting, but I go to WC corps events to see the good corps...I don't really want my money spent to go see another mediocre group.

If I had wanted to go see Open Class, then I would go.

Another corps fighting for that 18th place spot is nothing I really care about a whole lot - not saying they aren't bringing anything new to the activity, I do enjoy watching them, but rather my time and money be spent more of watching the corps that are more entertaining.

And besides ----- somebody has to keep challenging BDB and Vanguard Cadets from monopolizing the top 2 spots every year down in OC!!!

Well, they're not doing this for you. ( and it did come off as a negative comment).

The other end of the spectrum is a corp like Carolina Crown, who started out in the lower division only to move up and eventually be a world champ. Yes, they were "mediocre" at one time too.

If Genesis has the money and structure to do it, who are we to say they can or cannot do what they want?

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 5

Glad to see this moving forward. Genesis has marched a full corps on a 25+ show tour for the past three years. Jumping to WC actually helps them financially in many ways - gate fees, subsidized groceries, sponsorships, etc. more importantly it will help them keep talent. They lose very experienced kids every year who need a "WC" tag on their resume for the future. Can't wait to see what 2017 holds for Genesis!

I did, hence my comments.

And besides, and I don't mean this to be rude or insulting, but I go to WC corps events to see the good corps...I don't really want my money spent to go see another mediocre group.

Wow... I certainly would not characterize a corps fighting for 18th place in DCI World Class as "mediocre"... if that's what you mean. Far from it.

To keep myself from being ejected from DCP, that's all I'll say here about this. :ninja:

Happy Thanksgiving to you.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 3

WUSS!!!

Don't make me go "Jersey Guy" on you. It doesn't happen often, but it's not a pretty sight. :tongue: