The Academy's soloist

I recall Marc Sylvester lamenting that Blue Knights personnel had been going to BD. I'd like to see DCI pay a little more attention to age-outs from Open Class or from many of these corps that can't seem to get to Saturday night. "Why did you choose to age out with ____?" By the way, BD should listen to "Remains of the Day" from "Corpse Bride." It's snappy, jazzy and right up their alley. As long as they're getting FlugelBoy, take the same movie, too.

I'm so glad you started this thread!  The Academy soloist was, by far, the star of Saturday night.  While the 'Coats player smiled, this Academy Dood had blood and other bodily juices flowing out the end of his horn.  What an amazing performance he gave - SO EMOTIONAL!  It was beautiful and stunning, and stands out as THE solo performance of the entire 2016 season. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, garfield said:

I'm so glad you started this thread!  The Academy soloist was, by far, the star of Saturday night.  While the 'Coats player smiled, this Academy Dood had blood and other bodily juices flowing out the end of his horn.  What an amazing performance he gave - SO EMOTIONAL!  It was beautiful and stunning, and stands out as THE solo performance of the entire 2016 season. 

I said the same thing! He really has a lot of talent---anybody can learn to play a horn, but the innate expressiveness he has can only be encouraged. Anybody know his name? It reminds me of the greatest M*A*S*H episode (because it had nothing to do with Alan Alda)---when Dr. Winchester had that guilt complex about the concert pianist - turned soldier  whose hand was badly injured. "I have HANDS, David! Hands that can make a scalpel SING!" .... "All my life, I wanted to play. I can play the notes---I can't make the music." He knows that peed-off BD will go wire to wire undefeated, so I can't say that I blame him:) And Shane (?) from the 'Coats has some mighty strong chops. But we were all, "Yeah yeah, finish it and WINK!" :lle:

Edited by Tad_MMA
  • Like 1

While I'm sad that the Academy's flugel soloist will be with another corps, on another note, I'm happy that the "possibly possessed pit girl" will be returning to BAC.

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

This is nothing new....there have been plenty of people who have gone to BD after WINNING with another corps....I marched with one in 84. And there was a Crown trumpet from '13 who went to BD a year or 2 later....it happens.

I hope that DCI calms it down with the PPP girl come 2017.  Whenever I watched BAC at championships I felt like I was just watching her.  They would do a few shots and then go back to her.  It happened over and over.  

4 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

I said the same thing! He really has a lot of talent---anybody can learn to play a horn, but the innate expressiveness he has can only be encouraged. Anybody know his name? It reminds me of the greatest M*A*S*H episode (because it had nothing to do with Alan Alda)---when Dr. Winchester had that guilt complex about the concert pianist - turned soldier  whose hand was badly injured. "I have HANDS, David! Hands that can make a scalpel SING!" .... "All my life, I wanted to play. I can play the notes---I can't make the music." He knows that peed-off BD will go wire to wire undefeated, so I can't say that I blame him:) And Shane (?) from the 'Coats has some mighty strong chops. But we were all, "Yeah yeah, finish it and WINK!" :lle:

Hi Tad_MMA  the Young ACADEMY Flugel Soloist you speak so kindly of, IS an extremely Talented and Kind Gentlemen by the name of JACOB LYTHGOE ( with three more years of DCI Eligibility!) he indeeed has moved on to the BLUE DEVILS for 2017.  However, his very talented Brother, Zachary  (The two of them are part of a set of Triplets including a sister Rachael) will be returning to THE ACADEMY for 2017. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rr4353 said:

Shane (Bluecoats soloist) was in his first year at Bloo. The year before (and possibly several, not just the one), he marched Cadets. Even within that 'top tier', after winning the Jim Ott in 2015, he chose to move 'up' the next year, and look where he ended up. Now he's on staff at BK for the 2017 season.

Don't judge people for leaving a corps that has been successful to go to another corps that also has been successful, you never know what their personal reasons are. This perceived class system in DCI's rankings is awful, and this perception of 'y corps is better than x' is part of the problem. People have other reasons for marching, staying at, aging out at, and leaving corps of their own volition. It's not up to us (random people on the internet) to speculate.

Did I miss someone passing judgement?  I'm not sure why your post was so insistent that no one pass judgement.

18 hours ago, Liahona said:

This coming season IMO is a make or break for The Academy..if they maintain being in the coveted top 12 status...then they should be okay moving forward from a competitive standpoint...if they fall out of top 12 then that is going to really hurt them BIGLY...they just do not have the same reputation as the Madison Scouts IMO ...who should be able to easily bounce back into the top 12 mix...

Where's Bruckner's "Competitive Inertia" when we need it?

• Like 1