2017 Uniform Thread

2 hours ago, DawsonBurnes said:

If Phantom Regiment (for example) had to use their uniform from 2012 (the one with the coin on the chest for the Turandot theme) for their 2014 (Swan Lake) show, I'm sure they'd get some weird looks. It'd also not get them many more points in GE. I'm not sure how much of the GE category themed uniforms take up, but they definitely wouldn't get those points. They'd have to rely more on other things to strengthen that category. Which brings me to another question I have: how did corps get good GE in "the old days?" The only way I can see is the guard costumes and show music/design. 

That’s a bad example as Regiment 2014 incorporated their changing uniform into the drill as part of the effect. Their 2011 and 2012 uniform were basically the same for the corps proper (crest changed for coin) while their themes were vastly different and I don’t think either really came into play much with their score

In the old days, shows didn’t have themes (for the most part) so GE was based upon execution and being written into the drill or the guard, it was also tick based. Look at some of the old reps, often corps used the same uniforms, same songs, dill maneuvers and even the same  flag, year after year. Their corps identity was their only theme. Occasionally, the guard may have made a nod to a song with some sort of accessory. Regiment 81 is about the first time I recall the entire corps altering their uniform to a show theme

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouooga said:

The duck example is a literal example; we all know what a duck looks/sounds like. For the vast majority of shows, you're probably going to have to replace "Duck" with "X Emotion", which is a much harder thing to do. This is specifically where I thought the "how would X uniform hurt Y show" question would come into play. If you want your audience/GE judge to feel an emotion, let's say Sadness for this example, I don't actually know how to describe doing that nor do I know what uniform would help convey that, but I feel really confident that a bright yellow suit covered in smiley faces is going to hinder that goal's achievement. Also I'm sure that some designer somewhere could come up with a uniform that would help a corps convey Sadness better as well.

It’s building effect through transitions, impacts  and clarity of effect through execution, intent and design. Uniforms need not be involved as long as they don’t inhibit the performer or negate the effect but they can help the effect too

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I don't know if this has anything to do with BK's uniform for their DCI season this year, but this appears to be their uniform for their Bahrain trip next month.

17523622_1253072098146710_72620422689132

The shakos look black on my computer while the slacks look dark blue. (Yes, Denver is in America.)  If the pants were black, a good outfit for Colts Cadets.

47 minutes ago, cowtown said:

That’s a bad example as Regiment 2014 incorporated their changing uniform into the drill as part of the effect. Their 2011 and 2012 uniform were basically the same for the corps proper (crest changed for coin) while their themes were vastly different and I don’t think either really came into play much with their score

In the old days, shows didn’t have themes (for the most part) so GE was based upon execution and being written into the drill or the guard, it was also tick based. Look at some of the old reps, often corps used the same uniforms, same songs, dill maneuvers and even the same  flag, year after year. Their corps identity was their only theme. Occasionally, the guard may have made a nod to a song with some sort of accessory. Regiment 81 is about the first time I recall the entire corps altering their uniform to a show theme

I forgot about the uniform change in 2014. 2015's a better example. 

I saw those uniforms on Facebook but didn't get any more info. I wonder if there was a specific uniform request for something Bahrainey.

On 3/27/2017 at 10:37 AM, ouooga said:

Honest question: can you think of any show from any year where a previous year's uniform would have negatively impacted the show?

Star of Indiana 1993 simply would not have communicated as well using any prior Star uniform.

That said, I think you can stick with "a look" and have it work across most or all show styles. Historically, The Cavaliers' green blouse/black pants/white aussie look and The Cadets' cadet-style maroon/gold/cream look works just fine with every type of show I've seen from the corps. More recently, I really love the black and silver look The Academy has sported the past five years or so. I can't think of a show concept that it would not work for.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 1:46 PM, DawsonBurnes said:

The guard wore what looked like night gowns. The show's on YouTube if you want to see it. My cousin marched in it. 

Apropos of nothing, I just want to mention how much I loved that show.  It was quintessential Cadets.

Mike

• Like 1