Re-hashes

There's a ton of Brubeck left to be explored in The Phenomenon of Cool: Part 2, The Phenomenon of Hip.

Also I eagerly anticipate Phantom's inevitable Even Newer World Symphony.

4 hours ago, Tad_MMA said:

The Garfield Cadets' philosophy, circa 1982, was that if they ever won DCI, the next year they would change everything. Back then, ALL corps repeated at least something from the previous summer. So, 1983 was the last time they repeated a tune (Rocky Point), and they finally won.

You are correct there were a number of repeats back in the day, and I would exclude signature pieces 27th's "Danny Boy," BAC "Conquest," Kiltie's "Auld Lang Syne" etc from repeats since that was more stylistic than anything else, but there is something to keep in mind. Judging was different at that time and repeats usually worked only when the second time was better than the first. If you watch and listen to Phantom Regiment in 1978 and 79 when they performed music by Grieg, the 1979 version is stronger and more robust. 27th did about an 80% redo of their 1979 show in 1980, and it was cleaner and stronger. I would argue that some corps who repeated pieces the following year and placed lower, the music and show lacked something.

Today originality is valued and seems to work well. There are rehashes I enjoyed, SCV's Scheherazade comes to mind, but if most corps are trying to do something we haven't seen before, rehashes could put a corps at a disadvantage. 

I don't mind rehashed themes, and corps will do whatever they want, but I'd be fine with not hearing Scheherazade, WSS, Appalachian Spring, Les Mis, Phantom of the Opera, etc. again on a football field for the rest of my life. 

On the other hand, there are probably a lot of younger corps fans and participants who might not be very familiar with those staple pieces at all. So that makes my first statement kind of selfish. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

I can confidently predict that at least one corps in the top 6 is doing a rehash!!

Other than music about a red planet?

3 hours ago, corpsband said:

I can confidently predict that at least one corps in the top 6 is doing a rehash!!

Relentless 2: Electric Boogaloo. Let's do this!