Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

Just now, George Dixon said:

it's in the terms of the scholarship agreement - as stated in the email (and apparently attached to the email)

the rational is to help avoid migration and improve member retention - part of the benefit of the (in this case partial) scholarship is to 1. improve member retention 2. lock int he member for the current season allowing them to march at a reduced tuition effectively

The rationale should be to provide an opportunity for kids that might not be otherwise possible and to help kids that are in serious need and financial hardship.

• Like 3

This is taking loyalty to a whole new level.  I dont know which way to lean on this one.  I feel like Crown is allowed to do this, but its pretty shady for a corps to do.  The MMs are getting pretty unfairly treated here, if they were promised that money.  I would really like to see the fine print on the contracts to see if theyre allowed to do this, I would imagine they are.  I understand that money is everything in Drum Corps, but this seems like a very extreme thing for ANY corps to do let alone Crown.

20 hours ago, HOLYHOMe said:

Crown is revoking scholarships from previous years.

Wait...so not JUST 2016 fees?!  Thats Crazy!

Edited by JohnD
Link to personal correspondence removed. Used without author's permission.

24 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's in the terms of the scholarship agreement - as stated in the email (and apparently attached to the email)

the rational is to help avoid migration and improve member retention - part of the benefit of the (in this case partial) scholarship is to 1. improve member retention 2. lock int he member for the current season allowing them to march at a reduced tuition effectively

According to Wikipedia:

" A scholarship is an award of financial aid for a student to further their education. Scholarships are awarded based upon various criteria, which usually reflect the values and purposes of the donor or founder of the award. Scholarship money is not required to be repaid. "

I do not think "scholarship" is the correct term for this practice.  Everyone feel free to suggest a better name for it.  

Edited by cixelsyd

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Then it wasn't an individual target of a one-off rule.  This practice, per your statement that others experienced it, is not a secret.

Would your statement still be correct if you restated it to say "There are others that are in the same situation after leaving their corps to march elsewhere"?

You are targeting Crown for disdain when the policy being discussed was created by, and is followed by, all DCI member corps.

Who would we be accusing of "...a bad way to run a youth activity..." if the thread topic read "DCI Member Contract Restrictions", or "DCI's ability to enforce disagreements regarding money owed by MM's who change corps".

If there is anything for us to discuss about this subject, it should be directed at the activity's policy and not a single corps following that policy.

No.  I mentioned Crown, because Crown is the only corps requesting that scholarships be repaid.  If you have an example of another Corps doing this, please post.  Requesting money back from scholarships already given for a previous year is NOT a DCI policy.

• Like 2

So Carolina Crown is just really mean. Gosh. Waffles anyone?

• Like 3

This all seems pretty cut and dried. Signed a contract, contract is being enforced. And even if the scholarship terms are ignored, there was a balance due to the corps. This was in place when I marched more than a decade ago, and honestly it makes sense (and acts as a version of credit checks between corps, if nothing else).

Side note: I'm excited to see the scholarship/contract idea being played out. I've been pushing for that one for corps to do for a few years to help increase retention. It has some negative side effects, as we can see, but it's still a strong tool if keeping your members is the goal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Glad that BRASSO either is sleeping in today, busy elsewhere, or is formulating his initial reply.

Im prepared for 11 pages of intial posting...