Season Two: Clash of the Corps

I'm a newbie to drum corps so forgive me if this is totally off the wall.  But one of the main things that has made me a fan of this activity are the amazing young people and what they are willing to go through to bring such beauty and art to us and how so many of them say this experience has changed their lives for the better in many ways.  I would love to see Clash of the Corps show the side of drum corps that is expressed by the much loved "JDFuncorps", YouTube favorite comedian and DC historian, in this fascinating video about the close relationship between Crossmen and Spirit of Atlanta - and where it started.  This is good stuff and the kind of material that is so appealing.

Edited by RetiredMusTeach
grammar error
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

I'm a newbie to drum corps so forgive me if this is totally off the wall.  But one of the main things that has made me a fan of this activity is the amazing young people and what they are willing to go through to bring such beauty and art to us and how so many of them say this experience has changed their lives for the better in many ways.  I would love to see Clash of the Corps show the side of drum corps that is expressed by the much loved "JDFuncorps", YouTube favorite comedian and DC historian, in this fascinating video about the close relationship between Crossmen and Spirit of Atlanta - and where it started.  This is good stuff and the kind of material that is so appealing.

He is what drove me toward this activity, he really makes people want to participate.  He really knows how to make things easy on rookies (or as easy as they can get).  I really hope he can start his channel back up eventually.

• Like 3

What would be interesting is if they could follow several corps throughout the season.  Maybe a non-finalist, or even a non-semi-finalist corps, a definite top tier group (BD, Crown, Coats, SCV, etc), and maybe even one Open class corps.  This way people could see a real true difference between all the groups, yet still see that they are all striving towards the same artistic excellence on the field.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to see the difference between a rehearsal from BD, etc, and maybe compare that to Pioneer, Cascades, Jersey Surf, and as well the financial resources.  The other difference that would be obvious, would be the average age of the corps members as well.

Just a thought. I'll likely watch it no matter what, even if they just showed a static 1 hour shot of loading the trailer.:sigh:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ibexpercussion said:

What would be interesting is if they could follow several corps throughout the season.  Maybe a non-finalist, or even a non-semi-finalist corps, a definite top tier group (BD, Crown, Coats, SCV, etc), and maybe even one Open class corps.  This way people could see a real true difference between all the groups, yet still see that they are all striving towards the same artistic excellence on the field.

Wouldn't it be fascinating to see the difference between a rehearsal from BD, etc, and maybe compare that to Pioneer, Cascades, Jersey Surf, and as well the financial resources.  The other difference that would be obvious, would be the average age of the corps members as well.

Just a thought. I'll likely watch it no matter what, even if they just showed a static 1 hour shot of loading the trailer.:sigh:

Yeah!  Great ideas here and I absolutely agree.  Of course they might have to change the title to something not so battle-themed. :fight:Panache of the Corps?

35 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Yeah!  Great ideas here and I absolutely agree.  Of course they might have to change the title to something not so battle-themed. :fight:Panache of the Corps?

...or...

Inequity of the Corps...

Elysium

Anything You Can Do, We Can't, Because We Don't Have the Funding

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone have updated information about this show for the 2nd season?

46 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Anyone have updated information about this show for the 2nd season?

The production company wanted to do a second season but was unable to find a network to carry it. 

• Like 1

Just now, George Dixon said:

The production company wanted to do a second season but was unable to find a network to carry it. 

I think the concept truly suffers from a lack of exposure of the actual performance in the activity.  The short clips, tightly framed cinematic shots, montages and focus on interview style exposition doesn't allow for a clear viewing of drumcorps performance.  They need to shoot wide angles of rehearsals on the most interesting drill and impact moments of the shows.  I think that each episode (once they start covering shows) should at least show a 4-5 minute cut of a performance or 2 (similar to the old PBS reviews that used to happen around Thanksgiving time).  Maybe build up to that segment at the end of the episode and shorten up some of the other moments.  I really like the idea of shooting multiple groups through the season rather than focusing on just 2.  This can be done 'run and gun filming' with small crews (just a camera guy and a sound guy and some instructions) on DSLRs on or near show days when you have several corps rehearsing within 30 miles of each other.  It would allow the production to adapt to the placements as they approach finals and narrow in on the most interesting stories.

Dwayne... if you are reading... it can be saved...

And try to market it to ESPN x-game/red-bull type programming slots... odd times on the weekends.

Heck, these days... who needs a network?  Release it in an add-filled YouTube channel.  It would get TONS of views and reviews.

• Like 2