What Show Design Tropes Make You Cringe?

1 hour ago, Fred Windish said:

OOOKay . . . . .

So my reply here is, as a television viewer, none of the "tropes" make me cringe. 

:smile:

Ok ( although, none of the DCI shows  are " on television " anymore.. unless you do a hookup relay from your computer, mobile phone, etc devices ). All you really had to say on this thread was " none of the Show Design tropes make me cringe ". The Television perspective seemed unrelated to what the OP asked us... that said, I can cut you some slack as we all here vere off the thread topics from time to time with comments that seem unrelated to the OP thread topic question for us.

Edited by BRASSO

11 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

OOOKay . . . . .

So my reply here is, as a television viewer, none of the "tropes" make me cringe.  However, I do want to point out the dichotomy show designers face.  The same production takes on an entirely different form, watching in an alternative way. For me, the television version is generally best.

:smile:

You'll get used to Brasso sooner or later.  :tongue:

J/K of course, Brasso!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

You'll get used to Brasso sooner or later.  :tongue:

Well of course, Fran.. ( haha!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Ok ( although, none of the DCI shows  are " on television " anymore.. unless you do a hookup relay from your computer, mobile phone, etc devices ). All you really had to say on this thread was " none of the Show Design tropes make me cringe ". The Television perspective seemed unrelated to what the OP asked us... that said, I can cut you some slack as we all here vere off the thread topics from time to time with comments that seem unrelated to the OP thread topic question for us.

Hey Brasso,

You;re picking on Mr. DCI Allentown. Without Fred's great work there and the wonderful team he helped shaped and continuing so many years later, J. Birney Crum would just be for yellow birds and football games. Show some respect and lighten up Francis. All is good.

Truth be told, if Fred and committee can weather rains that challenged the Glassmen, storms that needed helicopters to dry the turf, and not having enough bathrooms, funnel cakes, and/or snowcones (in any order), he can certainly weather Brasso's thunder for sure. Now Fred, do I get good seats for Aug., ha, ha.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xandandl said:

Hey Brasso,

You;re picking on Mr. DCI Allentown. Without Fred's great work there and the wonderful team he helped shaped and continuing so many years later, J. Birney Crum would just be for yellow birds and football games. Show some respect and lighten up Francis. All is good.

lol!... You're the one that needs to " lighten up ", xandandl. I did say in my post above " I'll cut you some slack on your post, Fred". As such,  I did not show him any disrespect . But your reply would have us believe I hit him over the head on here with a hammer. ( haha!) Get a grip, sit down, relax, and chill out, xandandl. Nobody has given anyone here ( including me ) any  disrespect  for their comments today. You did get the observation correct however that " all is good today" Just follow that sentiment yourself, and you should be just fine, xandandl...( as Fred  apparently is himself with my replies to him today.)

Edited by BRASSO

16 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

lol!... You're the one that needs to " lighten up ", xandandl. I did say in my post above " I'll cut you some slack on your post, Fred". As such,  I did not show him any disrespect . But your reply would have us believe I hit him over the head on here with a hammer. ( haha!) Get a grip, sit down, relax, and chill out, xandandl. Nobody has given anyone here ( including me ) any  disrespect  for their comments today. You did get the observation correct however that " all is good today" Just follow that sentiment yourself, and you should be just fine, xandandl...( as Fred  apparently is himself with my replies to him today.)

Sent in the spirit of the night, Neither of us were his equal. Thank God neither of us were his target. RIP.

07rickles-obit-1-master768.jpg

Today, Don Rickles humor would get him tossed off the airways. He was the ultimate in political incorrectness, insulting everyone, and by religion, ethnicity, physical appearance, mental capacities, origin, color, gender etc too. He'd have been canned. But he was from a different generation. One that could laugh at itself and others,  and didn't feel the need to call up lawyers to sue because they did not like your particular brand of commentary, politics or humor. But it was a different time. Today, one has to be extremely careful  not to " offend " anyone else's delicate sensitivities, sensibilities, or their insecurities about themselves, or others. His old joke schtick could even get you jailed today. I was not a particular fan of the brand of humor of Don Rickles. Not at all, really. But I respected his ability to push the envelope in humor to levels that were unprecedented. But that door is now seemingly closed, and his brand of humor, no longer permitted in " polite society ". May he RIP.. and also, may his irreverent brand of personal ridicule humor, RIP, as well. As its unlikely to be tolerated anymore in todays hyper sensitive. repressive world where a single imprecise, perhaps insensitive joke.. a JOKE !... toward a" protected" class of individuals or peoples at that historic moment in time in the culture, can get you literally tossed off the national airways in the USA now, and for good too.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

xandandl -  thanks for the hat tip! 

I do understand the environment message boards establish over time. I'm cool with all of it. As for your tickets, I'm of little help.  These days, I'm a lowly volunteer who puts up signage, etc. and returns again Sunday morning to take things down. Honestly, other than last summer, I watch the event home through DCI Live!  To each, their own.

Again, today's productions are SPECTACULAR on multi-cam. The "stuff" is all a bit different that way. I like it very much.

• Like 1

Ok, back to stuff that makes you cringe - first and foremost the "Impassioned Plea" .  This consists of a guard member (usually wearing WAY too much make-up) running toward the audience, arms outstretched, with tears running down her face.  Second is horn players trying to fly (esp. SCV - whom I love).  I would be impressed if the horn line actually took flight, however doing this in a scatter drill just to get to your next dot is annoying.  Third, the "ooooooooooh" isn't HE the sexiest soloist ever arm stroke and loving look given by the supposedly smitten guard number as she hears an eight bar solo for the 500th time  Oh, and lest I forget, the CG member who does a toss and makes the fake "Oh My GOD I caught it face" before giving the audience a big smile as he/she leaps into the air and runs off with a big smile.  Ugh

• Like 2

Please....no more bobbing plumes. No more running from set to set instead of drill. No more "drill light" shows. And please, no more shows that start off with a solo dance or instrument. 

Oh....can we ditch all of the set pieces as well...they are getting in the way of a good drill!

• Like 1